Ali Farka Touré
is an acrostic for aft.
On this page:
Who is Ali Farka Touré?
Ali Farka Touré: Ali Ibrahim "Farka" Touré was a Malian singer and multi-instrumentalist, and one of the African continent's most internationally renowned musicians. His music is widely regarded as representing a point of intersection of traditional Malian music and its North American cousin, the blues. The belief that the latter is historically derived from the former is reflected in Martin Scorsese's often quoted characterization of Touré's tradition as constituting "the DNA of the blues". Touré was ranked number 76 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and number 37 on Spin magazine's "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".
- also known as Ali Furka Toure; Ali Farka Toure; Touré, Ali Farka; Ali Ibrahim Touré; Farka; the African John Lee Hooker
- born on (76 years ago) in Timbuktu
- nationality: Mali
- profession: Musician, guitarist, multi-instrumentalist
- member of musical groups:
- died on (9 years ago) in Bamako of cancer, bone cancer
- genres: Blues, World music, Folk music
- read more about Ali Farka Touré (blues artist)
Printed books with definitions for Ali Farka Touré
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Global Music Industry (2013)
Three Perspectives by Arthur Bernstein, Naoki Sekine, Dick Weissman
Ali Farka Touré is an African musician whose music has remarkable parallels to the music of the late Mississippi– Detroit bluesman John Lee Hooker. Other Places There is hardly an area of Africa that hasn't produced internationally renowned ...
by IBP, Inc.
Ali Farka Touré is a guitarist from northern Mali who plays in a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ali Farka Touré
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: