On this page:
Who is Alice Coltrane?
Alice Coltrane, née McLeod was an American jazz pianist, organist, harpist, and composer, and the second wife of jazz saxophonist and composer John Coltrane. One of the few harpists in the history of jazz, she recorded many albums as a bandleader, beginning in the late 1960s and early 1970s for Impulse! Records and Universal Distribution.
- also known as Alice McLeod; Coltrane, Alice; Alice Coltrane-Turiyasangitananda
- born on (77 years ago) in Detroit
- nationality: United States of America
- religion: Hinduism
- profession: Bandleader, composer, jazz pianist, sideman, organist, harpist, music artist, multi-instrumentalist, musician
- member of musical groups:
- parent of
- died on (8 years ago) in Los Angeles of respiratory failure
- genres: Kozmigroov, Jazz, Avant-garde jazz
- albums: "Journey in Satchidananda", "A Monastic Trio", "Astral Meditations", "Eternity", "Ptah, the El Daoud", "Translinear Light", "Universal Consciousness", "World Galaxy", "Lord of Lords", "The Impulse Story", "Transfiguration", "Transcendence", "Infinity", "Divine Songs", "Huntington Ashram Monastery", "Radha-Krsna Nama Sankirtana", "Alice Coltrane with Strings", "Illuminations", "Universal Consciousness / Lord of Lords", "Turiya Sings", "The Elements", "Cosmic Music", "Huntington Ashram Monastery / World Galaxy", "Infinite Chants", "Reflection on Creation and Space (A Five Year View)", "Glorious Chants"
- official website: www.alicecoltrane.org
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alice Coltrane
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Lol Henderson, Lee Stacey
The highly experimental work introduced an intensely dissonantsound performedbyanew groupof musiciansthat included Pharoah Sandersontenor, RashiedAli ondrums, Alice Coltrane (Coltrane's newwife)on piano, andahost of others. In total, the group consisted of two altos, three tenors, two trumpeters, ...
by Larry G. Murphy, J. Gordon Melton, Gary L. Ward
FRIENDS Paul Cuffe HINDU Swami Turiyasangitananda (Alice Coltrane) HOLINESS Willie B.
by Don Michael Randel
and Roy Haynes substituted for Jones; other members included Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, and Rashied Ali. Col- trane was the most ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alice Coltrane
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alice Coltrane
Click on an item to view that photo:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alice Coltrane to see it in context!