Alice Dunbar Nelson
On this page:
Who is Alice Dunbar Nelson?
Alice Dunbar Nelson: Alice Ruth Moore Dunbar Nelson was an American poet, journalist and political activist. Among the first generation born free in the South after the Civil War, she was one of the prominent African Americans involved in the artistic flourishing of the Harlem Renaissance. Her first husband was the poet Paul Laurence Dunbar; she then married physician Henry A. Callis; and last married Robert J. Nelson, a poet and civil rights activist.
- also known as Alice Moore Dunbar Nelson, Alice Ruth Moore Dunbar Nelson, Alice Moore Dunbar-Nelson, Alice Dunbar-Nelson, Alice Dunbar
- born on (140 years ago) in New Orleans
- ethnicity: African American
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Writer, journalist
- died on (80 years ago) in Philadelphia
- read more about Alice Dunbar Nelson (writer)
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Alice Dunbar Nelson
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The American Missionary (1921)
Alice Dunbar Nelson is a graduate of our Straight College ...
Volume 9: Literature by M. Thomas Inge
The eclectic Alice Dunbar Nelson proves herself as journalist, poet, and shortstory craftsperson. Many African American southerners of this period, however, choose to treat the South through autobiographical statements that build on the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alice Dunbar Nelson
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alice Dunbar Nelson for some fun with words!