On this page:
Definition of the noun alimentary paste
What does alimentary paste mean as a name of something?
- shaped and dried dough made from flour and water and sometimes egg
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonym of alimentary paste: pasta
- more generic terms: food / solid food = any solid substance (as opposed to liquid) that is used as a source of nourishment
- more specific terms:
- bowtie pasta / farfalle = pasta shaped with scalloped edges and pinched in the middle, suggestive of a bow tie
- noodle = a ribbonlike strip of pasta
- orzo = pasta shaped like pearls of barley
- spaghetti = pasta in the form of long strings
- spaghettini = thin spaghetti
- tortellini = small ring-shaped stuffed pasta
- ziti = medium-sized tubular pasta in short pieces
- rigatoni = tubular pasta in short ribbed pieces
- fedelline = extremely fine pasta thinner than vermicelli
- linguine / linguini = pasta in long slender flat strips
- fettuccine / fettuccini = pasta in flat strips wider than linguine
- vermicelli = pasta in strings thinner than spaghetti
- macaroni = pasta in the form of slender tubes
- lasagna / lasagne = very wide flat strips of pasta
- penne = pasta in short tubes with diagonally cut ends
- cappelletti / ravioli = small circular or square cases of dough with savory fillings
- tagliatelle = pasta cut in narrow ribbons
- manicotti = large pasta tubes stuffed with chopped meat or mild cheese and baked in tomato sauce
- couscous = a pasta made in northern Africa of crushed and steamed semolina
- dumplings / dumpling = small balls or strips of boiled or steamed dough
- mostaccioli = pasta somewhat resembling little moustaches
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alimentary Paste
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by University of California, Berkeley
They are not technically pasta; they don't conform to government standards for macaroni or noodles, and may be labeled "alimentary paste," "imitation noodles" or Asian noodles. Bean thread noodles (which may be called fen si, or harusame ) ...
by Derek Pines
See also Alimentary Paste and Spaghetti. Macaroons : A round, dry almond flavoured, ...
Medical Lexicon. A New Dictionary of Medical Science, containing a concise account of the various subjects and terms, ... and formulae for ... preparations etc. Third edition (1865)
An alimentary paste, moulded of a cylindrical shape, and formed of rice or Wheaten flour.
by Arnold E. Bender
pasta See alimentary paste. pasteurisation Vegetative forms of many bacteria can be killed by mild heat treatment, pasteurisation, whereas total destruction of ...
by D A Bender
pasta (Alimentary paste); dried dough, traditionally made with hard wheat (sEMOLINA) but soft wheat may be added, sometimes with egg and milk. Spinach, tomato or squid ink may 357.
A Pronouncing Lexicon of the English Language
an alimentary paste; the chocolate-nut tree. CHOICE, tshoyse, s., act of choosing; selection.— a., select; precious. CHOIR, kwire, s., a band of singers. CHOKE, tshoke, v.a., to suffocate; ...
Containing a Concise Explanation of the Various Subjects and Terms of Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Hygiene, Therapeutics ... by Robley Dunglison
An alimentary paste prepared from the kernels of Theobro'ma cacao or Cacao, with sugar, and often aromatics. (See Cacao.) The chocolate thus simply prepared – as it is met with, indeed, in commerce—is called in France, Chocolat de It is ...
Embracing the Terminology of Medicine and the Kindred Sciences, with Their Signification, Etymology, and Pronunciation ... by Joseph Thomas
An alimentary paste made of white and glutinous varieties of wheat ground by a peculiar process. The paste is moulded into the form of pipes, or hollow cylinders, and partially baked. It is manufactured in Italy, France, and the United States.
Walker's Pronouncing dictionary of the English language, with Webster's definitions and Worcester's improvements, remodelled. Pearl ed. Pearl ed (1875)
an alimentary paste or beverage from cocoa-nuts. Choice, tthoyte, s., act of choosing ; selection. — a., select ; precious. Choir, kwxre, s., a band of singers. Choke, tthoke, v.a., to suffocate; to strangle. Choke-pear, -pare, s .
Encyclopedia of Food Grains (2015)
by Colin W Wrigley, Harold Corke, Koushik Seetharaman, Jonathan Faubion
Alimentary paste, or 'pasta,' is prepared from extruded dough pieces of various shapes and sizes, usually dried during production and later boiled and consumed. A common classification is based on whether the pieces are long or short (e.g., ...
Walker's Pronouncing dictionary of the English language, with Webster's definitions and Worcester's improvements, remodelled. Pearl ed (1873)
an alimentary paste or beverage from cocoa-nuts. Choice, tihoyne, s., act of choosing; selection. — a., select; precious. Choir, kwire, s., a band of singers. Choke, uhoke, v.a., to suffocate; to strangle. CHOKE-PEAR ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1902)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature
Other manufactures are silk and linen, hosiery, heavy iron goods, alimentary paste ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alimentary Paste
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alimentary Paste to find many related words and phrases!