The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun alinement:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alinement
What does alinement mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alinements
- an organization of people (or countries) involved in a pact or treaty
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of alinement: alignment / alliance / coalition
- more generic words: organisation / organization = a group of people who work together
- more specific terms:
- combination = an alliance of people or corporations or countries for a special purpose
- allies = an alliance of nations joining together to fight a common enemy
- axis / bloc = a group of countries in special alliance
- Allies = in World War I the alliance of Great Britain and France and Russia and all the other nations that became allied with them in opposing the Central Powers
- Central Powers = in World War I the alliance of Germany and Austria-Hungary and other nations allied with them in opposing the Allies
- Allies = the alliance of nations that fought the Axis in World War II and which (with subsequent additions) signed the charter of the United Nations in 1945
- Axis = in World War II the alliance of Germany and Italy in 1936 which later included Japan and other nations
- entente cordiale / entente = an informal alliance between countries
- popular front = a leftist coalition organized against a common opponent
- international organisation / international organization / global organization / world organisation / world organization = an international alliance involving many different countries
- Northern Alliance / United Front = a multiethnic alliance in Afghanistan who practice a moderate form of Islam and are united in their opposition to the Taliban
- member: ally = a friendly nation
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alinement
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Surgery, Its Principles and Practice: Supplementary volume. General: military; naval; technic; fractures; spine & peripheral nerves; orthopedic; vascular system (1921)
by William Williams Keen, John Chalmers Da Costa
Faulty alinement is a deformity whieh is always preventable. Angulation is that element in malunion which should be the chief argument in favor of an operation. This is because angulation for many months and even years is an unsound form ...
Environmental Impact Statement
The proposed channel alinement is the result of many studies that had the goal of minimizing social impact to the property owners, thereby reducing the project cost . 7N. The proposed rectangular channel would have an 18-foot base width ...
by James Stevens Curl, Susan Wilson
alinement. 1. Line laid down to enable a road, street, or building to be constructed. 2. Lines establishing positions of any construction. 3. Any arrangement of trees, columns, standingstones, etc., set up in a straight line.
by Clive Upton, William A. Kretzschmar, Jr.
n, -z alinement BR o'lainm(0)nt, -s AM ...
Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions - Australian & New Zealand Edition (2014)
by Peter Harris, Sue Nagy, Nicholas Vardaxis
alinement. See alignment. aliphatic/alމifatމik/[Gk, aleiphar, oil], pertaining to fat or oil, specifically to those hydrocarbon compounds that are open chains of carbon atoms, such as the fatty acids, rather than aromatic ring ...
The Classic First Edition by H. W. Fowler
form alinement is preferable to alignment, a bad spelling of the Fr.' Usage.
by Vijaya Kumar
alignment alinement all right alright allegation aligation alleged alledged alleviate aliviate alliance alience allopathy alopathy allotted alloted allowance alouwence/allowence ally alley almond amond almost allmost aloud alowd alphabetically ...
Dictionary of Hard Words (1910)
by Robert Morris Pierce
alinement я. [also spelt alignment, alignement, allinement] a'lain-mant. aliquot adj., n. 'aeh-kuiat, 'aeh-kuiet. alkahest n. solvent [also spelt alchahest, alcahest] 'aelka- hest. alkalamide я. [synonymous ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alinement
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1L1I1N1E1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALINEMENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alinement!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alinement to find many related words and phrases!