On this page:
- Alison Knowles is an American artist who produces work that incorporates performance, radio and sound, papermaking and printmaking. Knowles was very active in the Fluxus movement, and continues to create work inspired by her Fluxus experience. Criteria that have come to distinguish her work as a female artist are the arena of performance, the indeterminacy of her "event scores" resulting in the deauthorization of the work, and the element of tactile participation in her performances and object-based work. She graduated from the Pratt Institute in New York with an honors degree in fine art. Knowles was married to the Fluxus artist and prominent intermedia theorist, Dick Higgins, from 1960 to 1970, and again from 1984 until Higgins' death in 1998.
- also known as Knowles, Alison
- born on (82 years ago) in New York City
- nationality: United States of America
- education: Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting) at Pratt Institute, graduated in
- profession: Artist, visual artist
- with Dick Higgins since
- parent of Hannah Higgins
- album: "Frijoles Canyon"
- written works: "Natural Assemblages and the True Crow", "By Alison Knowles", "Event Scores", "Spoken Text"
- award: - Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts, US & Canada (Fine Arts)
- Alison Knowles is a British rower. She rowed in the women's eight at the 2008 Summer Olympics but could not row in the finals due to illness.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Alison Knowles
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Peter R. Eisenstadt, Laura-Eve Moss
New York art world figures associated with the international Fluxus movement include Henry Flynt, Al Hansen, Geoffrey Hendricks, Dick Higgins, Alison Knowles, Larry Miller, Yoko Ono, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alison Knowles
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alison Knowles
via Instagram ift.tt/NLNKBv
Photo credit: pheezy
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alison Knowles for some fun with words!