On this page:
Definition of the noun alistair cooke
What does alistair cooke mean as a name of something?
- United States journalist (born in England in 1908)
Who is Alistair Cooke?
Alistair Cooke KBE was a British journalist, television personality and broadcaster. Outside his journalistic output, which included Letter from America and Alistair Cooke's America, he was well known in the United States as the host of PBS Masterpiece Theatre from 1971 to 1992. After holding the job for 22 years, and having worked in television for 42 years, Cooke retired in 1992, although he continued to present Letter from America until shortly before his death. He was the father of author and folk singer John Byrne Cooke.
- also known as Alfred Cooke, Alfred Alistair Cooke
- born on (107 years ago) in Salford, Greater Manchester
- ethnicity: Anglo-Irish people
- nationality: United Kingdom, United States of America
- profession: Journalist, presenter, tv personality, broadcaster
- parent of
- died on (11 years ago) in New York City of bone cancer, lung cancer, cancer
- written works: "Letter from America, 1946-2004", "A commencement address", "Fun & games with Alistair Cooke", "A generation on trial", "Talk about America", "One man's America", "Alistair Cooke at the BBC", "The patient has the floor", "Around the world in fifty years", "Shakespeare in America", "Garbo and the night watchmen", "Fun and Games with Alistair Cooke", "General Eisenhower on the military Churchill", "Memories of the great & the good", "The Americans", "Alistair Cooke's America"
- filmography: "Hitler: The Last Ten Days"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- Peabody Award - "Letter from America", with British Broadcasting Corporation
- nominated to Primetime Emmy Award for Best MC or Program Host - Male or Female
- Peabody Award (a Personal Award for His Part in America: A Personal View by Alistair Cooke)
- British Academy Television Richard Dimbleby Award - "America: A Personal History of the United States"
- nominated to Primetime Emmy Award for Special Classification Of Outstanding Program Achievement - "Masterpiece"
- Primetime Emmy Award for Special Classification Of Outstanding Program Achievement - "Masterpiece"
- Peabody Award (A Personal Award for his contributions to broadcasting)
"Alistair Cooke" is a book by Nick Clarke.
- also known as "Alistair Cooke: The Biography"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alistair Cooke
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Christopher H. Sterling
Alistair Cooke Born Alfred Cooke in Salford, near Manchester, 20 November 1908 ...
by Jonathon Green
the engaging of an 'expert' to appear at the startofan imported programme, especially a major series,and explain its niceties totheAmerican audience;thus Alistair Cooke,a token upper class midAtlanticman, was used to explain the ...
by Hugh Rawson, Margaret Miner
—Alistair Cooke, America ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
Alistair Cooke (1908– .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alistair Cooke
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alistair Cooke
Grace of Monaco Premiere, Sydney
Photo credit: Eva Rinaldi Celebrity and Live Music Photographer
Quotes about Alistair Cooke
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alistair Cooke to see it in context!