On this page:
- Definition of the noun aliyah
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aliyah
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aliyah
- Photos about Aliyah
- Video language resources about Aliyah
- Sign language
- Quotes about Aliyah
- Scrabble value of A1L1I1Y4A1H4
- Anagrams of ALIYAH
- Share this page
Definition of the noun aliyah
What does aliyah mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aliyahs
- (Judaism) the honor of being called up to the reading desk in the synagogue to read from the Torah
- (Judaism) immigration of Jews to Israel
Alternative definition of the noun aliyah
- The immigration of Jews into Israel.
- antonym: yerida
- Aliyah a.k.a. Aaliyah Dana Haughton was an American singer, dancer, actress, and model. She was born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised in Detroit, Michigan. At the age of 10, she appeared on the television show Star Search and performed in concert alongside Gladys Knight. At age 12, Aaliyah signed with Jive Records and her uncle Barry Hankerson's Blackground Records. Hankerson introduced her to R. Kelly, who became her mentor, as well as lead songwriter and producer of her debut album, Age Ain't Nothing but a Number. The album sold three million copies in the United States and was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. After facing allegations of an illegal marriage with R. Kelly, Aaliyah ended her contract with Jive and signed with Atlantic Records.
- read more about Aaliyah
- Aliyah a.k.a. Alyiah Walker is a pornographic actress.
- read more about Alyiah Walker
Aliyah is a fictional character from the 2011 film Of Skies and Earth.
- read more about Alyah
- Aliyah: An aliyah is the calling of a member of a Jewish congregation to the bimah for a segment of reading from the Torah.
- Aliyah is a 2012 TV series.
- regular cast: Stefan William
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aliyah
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
How to Transform Your Congregation Into a Sacred Community by Ron Wolfson
Aliyah is a warmer invitation to Judaism than keiruv. Keiruv can be construed as a “yanking in”; aliyah is a “calling up.” Keiruv is what Jews do to bring ...
Pilgrimage-the Sacred Art (2013)
Journey to the Center of the Heart by Sheryl A. Kujawa-Holbrook
Aliyah is a Hebrew word that means “ascent” or “going up.
World history, Western Asia by CTI Reviews
Aliyah is the immigration of Jews from ...
The Dispersion (2016)
A History of the Word Diaspora by Stéphane Dufoix
The yerridah towards galuth is a descent towards loss, towards absence and towards the night, while aliyah is an ascent towards redemption, gueulah, towards plenitude, towards presence and towards the light.172 It is difficult to grasp the ...
by Yvonne Schmidt
Literally "Ascent"; aliyah means the return of an individual or an organized group to the Land of Israel; considered as a major Zionist virtue. Shi'a militia fighting against Israel's occupation in South Lebanon. Jews of north European and western ...
by Debora Cordeiro Rosa
The word aliyah is a Jewish term which refers to the immigration of Jews from the Diaspora to Israel. 63. Isaac Bashevis Singer, born in 1904 in Radzymin, Poland, died in 1991 in the United States. Singer received a Nobel Prize of Literature in ...
by Ephraim Kahana
See also MOSSAD LE'ALIYAH BETH and appendix B. MOSSAD LE'ALIYAH BETH. The term Aliyah Beth (literally “B-immigration”) refers to the organized illegal entry of Jews into Palestine under the British Mandate in direct defiance of the ...
by Kerry M. Olitzky, Marc Lee Raphael
ALIYAH. A Torah honor, literally "going up" to the Torah. The term refers to the act of ascending the bimah (the raised platform on which the Torah is read, either in the front of the synagogue or in its center) in order to say the appropriate ...
Encyclopedia of Judaism (2005)
by Sara E. Karesh, Mitchell M. Hurvitz
After the seven regular aliyot, an additional aliyah is given, called the maftir, which is a repetition of the last few verses. The person who has the honor of this aliyah often goes on to chant the day's selection from the NEVI'IM; this selection is ...
by Raphael Patai
Organized aliyah (the ...
The New Jewish Encyclopedia (1976)
by David Bridger, Samuel Wolk
YOUTH ALIYAH Hebrew name applied to the organized mass immigration of Jewish children and youth for settlement in Palestine. This immigration first started in 1934 when the Nazis came to power in Germany and it was necessary to find a ...
by Alan Avery-Peck, Jacob Neusner
Aliyah (Hebrew:“going up”) “Ascent” in particulartothe Land ofIsrael or, fromwithinthe Land, ascentto Jerusalem,asan act of pilgrimage.In thesynagogue, the termrefers to thehonor of “ascending” tothe Torah, thatis, of participating in worship the ...
Encyclopedia of Jewish Food (2010)
by Gil Marks
Then between 1882 and 1903, the existing Jewish communities were overwhelmed by about thirty thousand eastern Europeans escaping oppression and pogroms, known as the First Aliyah. Most of these early European arrivals were ...
by Orlando O. Espín, James B. Nickoloff
ALIYAH This Hebrew word literally means "to go up." It has two distinct and important meanings in Jewish life. When the Torah is read at Jewish worship services, that particular Torah portion is subdivided into a specific number of parts.
by W. Thomas Smith
Mossad Le Aliyah Beth On December 21, 1976, in a bungled attempt to sell Agency secrets to the Soviets, Moore tossed a package containing classified CIA documents over the fence of a Washington, D.C., apartment complex where ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aliyah
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aliyah
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Aliyah
Click on an item to play that video:
- Aliyah Meaning
Video shows what aliyah means. The calling up of someone to the bimah for the reading of the Torah.. The immigration of Jews to Israel.. Aliyah Meaning.
- Aliyah's explanation of her experiment on centripetal forces
Experiment that involves a marble in jello and a spinning cup to try and explain centripetal forces and how they interact with each other.
- Aliyah Meaning
Video shows what Aliyah means. of modern American usage, a variant of Aaliyah.. Aliyah Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Aliyah "Truth" Music with Meaning Message to Students
- Aliyah verb+ing expressive labeling
See also the pronunciation examples of Aliyah!
Blessings for an Aliyah in Sign Language
Blessings when being called up to the Torah, in Sign Language.
Quotes about Aliyah
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'aliyah"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of A1L1I1Y4A1H4
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALIYAH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aliyah!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aliyah to see it in context!