On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alkali
What does alkali mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alkalies / alkalis (variant)
- any of various water-soluble compounds capable of turning litmus blue and reacting with an acid to form a salt and water
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonym of alkali: base
- more generic terms: chemical compound / compound = a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
- more specific words:
- pyridine = a toxic colorless flammable liquid organic base with a disagreeable odor
- purine = a colorless crystalline organic base containing nitrogen
- purine = any of several bases that are derivatives of purine
- glyoxaline / imidazole / iminazole = an organic base C3H4N2
- cyanuramide / melamine = a white crystalline organic base
- pyrimidine = any of several basic compounds derived from pyrimidine
- a mixture of soluble salts found in arid soils and some bodies of water; detrimental to agriculture
Alternative definition of the noun alkali
- [chemistry] One of a class of caustic bases, such as soda, potash, ammonia, and lithia, whose distinguishing peculiarities are solubility in alcohol and water, uniting with oils and fats to form soap, neutralizing and forming salts with acids, turning to brown several vegetable yellows, and changing reddened litmus to blue.
- Soda ash; caustic soda, caustic potash, etc.
- [context: Western United States] Soluble mineral matter, other than common salt, contained in soils of natural waters.
"Alkali" is a composition.
- music by Tom Russell
- Alkali: In chemistry, an alkali is a basic, ionic salt of an alkali metal or alkaline earth metal chemical element. Some authors also define an alkali as a base that dissolves in water. A solution of a soluble base has a pH greater than 7.0. The adjective alkaline is commonly, and alkalescent less often, used in English as a synonym for basic, especially for soluble bases. This broad use of the term is likely to have come about because alkalis were the first bases known to obey the Arrhenius definition of a base, and they are still among the most common bases.
- also known as Alkalies
- Alkali a.k.a. Baiso Language: Baiso is an Afro-Asiatic language spoken in Ethiopia in the region around Lake Abaya.
- read more about Baiso Language
Phrases with Alkali
- alkali bee
- alkali flat
- Alkali Sida
- Alkali Aster
- Alkali Bluet
- alkali grass
- alkali metal
- Alkali Muhly
- Alkali Ivesia
- Alkali Mallow
- Alkali Sacaton
- Alkali Sandmat
- Alkali Skipper
- Alkali Wildrye
- Alkali Centaury
- Alkali Phacelia
- Alkali Plantain
- Alkali Seaheath
View more phrases with the word Alkali in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alkali
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Child's Friend (1844)
must say a little, because alkali is a common word. These alkalies are substances distinguished by a peculiar taste, and when they are strong, by corroding or eating all kinds of animal substances, as you would find if you got potash on your ...
Alkali is an inorganic substance while alkaloid is an organic substance. Alkaloids are complicated chemical structures containing nirrogen. Many alkaloids are toxic, some are narcotic, others are medicinals used for treating coughs, muscular ...
by Harry B. Philbrook
Now, the alkali can be given a variety of conditions merely by a greater decomposition of the substance that is mixed with the water. If it is but common ashes, produced by an ordinary combustion, a mere common alkali is the result. If the water ...
Clinical Veterinary Advisor (2010)
Dogs and Cats by Etienne Cote
DIAGNOSTIC OVERVIEW History of exposure to a product containing acid or alkali is the cornerstone of diagnosis and is supported by typical physical exam findings: any combination of hypersalivation, excessive licking, protrusion of tongue, ...
The British Encyclopedia (1809)
Or, Dictionary of Arts and Sciences. Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge by William Nicholson
The alkali is the medium; or (e) two principles which attract each other may neither of them be capable of direct or ready union with a third; but when the two former shall be actually combined together, the compound shall attract and combine ...
Comprehending the Derivations of the Generality of Words... and Also a Brief and Clear Explication of All Different Words... Together with a Large Collection and Explication of Words Used in Our Ancient Statutes... Also a Collection of Our Most Common Proverbs by Nathan Bailey
ALKALI [among Chymii,) a fixed Salt, extraćted from the Ashes of calcined Herbs or Minerals, by means of a boil'd Liaiutum : Likewise in earthy Matter that friments or works with Acids, is called Alkali ALKALIZATE Bodies (among Chymifts) are ...
Comprehending the Derivations of the Generality of Words in the English Tongue ... : and Also a Brief and Clear Explication of All Difficult Words ... : Together with a Large Collection and Explication of Words and Phrases Used in Our Ancient Statutes, Charters, Writs ... and the Etymology, and Interpretation of the Proper Names of Men, Women, and Remarkable Places in Great Britain ... : Also a Collection of Our Most Common Proverbs, with Their Explication and Illustration ... by Nathan Bailey
ALKALI (among Chymiji's] a fixed Salt extracted from the Ashes or calc ned Hero or Minerals, by means of a boil'd Lirivium: Likewise an earthy Matter that fe' ments or works with Acids, is called Alkali ALKALIZA 1 E. Bodies among Chymifts) ...
Textbook of Critical Care (2011)
by Jean-Louis Vincent, Edward Abraham, Patrick Kochanek, Frederick A. Moore, Mitchell P. Fink
and absorbable alkali is a prerequisite for establishing the diagnosis.33 For hypercalcemia to develop, calcium intake must be excessive, but inability to excrete this ...
Comprehending the Pharmacopoeias of London, Edinburgh, and Dublin, with a Variety of Other Useful Information Relative to Medicine and Pharmacy, Designed Expressly for the Use of Students by Thomas Castle
Alkali, Acetated Vegetable. Alkali Vegetahilis Acetatum.
With Its Application to the Arts and Manufactures, and to the Explanation of the Phaenomena of Nature... : with Plates and Tables by William Nicholson
alkali. 36.72 alkali. Rises by heat first 48 acid. 63-28 acid. pure alkali, then Mere distillation de acid, ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1823)
Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Miscellaneous Literature, Enlarged and Improved
Iron, fossil alkali, and a great quantity of fixed air. Epsom salt.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
Fixed air, fossile alkali, iron, and earth. Diuretic, diaphoretic, and toIolc. Nobber, in Ireland. Martial vitriol. Similar to Hartfell. Normanby, in Yorkshire. Sulphur, much fixed air, some sea-salt, and Epsom salt. Similar to Askeron water. - Nottington ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
Fixed air, fossile alkali, iron, and earth. Diuretic, diaphoretic, and to- nit. Nobber, in Ireland. Martial vitriol. Similar to HartfelL Nurminby, in Yorkshire. Sulphur, much fixed air, some lea-salt, and Epsom salt. Similar to Aileron water. Nettington , in ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
Fixed air, foflile alkali, rs,ind earth. Diuretic, diaphoretic, and toil SdJba, in Ireland. Martial vitriol. Similar to HstfcU. Natuaby, in Yorkshire. Sulphur, much fixed air, seme tea-salt, and Epsom salt. Similar to A&croo water. NrtrJsgton, in Dorsetshire ...
by S.E. Stiegeler
alkali (alkaline) ( in petrology and mineralogy). Denoting igneous rocks and minerals that have high ...
by Robert HOOPER (M.D.), Klein Grant
The difficulty oftracing a limit between the acids and alkalis is still increased, when we find a body sometimes performing the functions of an acid, sometimes ot'an alkali. Nor can we diminish this dificulty by having recourse to the beautiful law ...
Containing a Concise Explanation of All the Terms Used in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacy, Botany, Natural History, Chymistry, and Materia Medica by John Redman Coxe
Sal corna cervi, ammonia preparata; carbonated volatile alkali. Sal culinarias, sal gemma. cyrenaicus, sal ammoniacus. digestivas, muriatic sylvii, getable alkali. acid and ve~ Sal атеист, vinegar and vegetable alkali; acetis potassac. Sal ducis ...
Exhibiting Their Present State in Every Part of the World; and Carefully Comp. from the Latest and Best Authorities by Thomas Mortimer
Vegetable alkali is obtained in its greatest purity by deflagrating nitre with charcoal, provided we can overcome the difficulty of using in the process no more of the latter, than is barely sufficient to destroy the nitrous acid. Burnt tartar purified by ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alkali
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alkali
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Alkali Lake
Photo credit: mamamusings
- Alkali Lake Plow
In the shadow of the Aber Rim in south central Oregon, ODOT plows US 395 to keep motorists safe.
Photo credit: OregonDOT
- Self portrait - Middle Alkali Lake
Photo credit: brewbooks
- Piping Plover on Alkali
Piping plover on alkali lake nesting habitat in Northern Great Plains.
Location: Lostwood Wetland Management District Complex
Credit: USFWS / Steven Tucker
Photo Contest Entry #61
Photo credit: USFWS Mountain Prairie
View more pictures about alkali flat.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Alkali
Video shows what alkali means. One of a class of caustic bases, such as soda, potash, ammonia, and lithia, whose distinguishing peculiarities are solubility in ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Alkali!
Scrabble value of A1L1K5A1L1I1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALKALI
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alkali!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alkali to see it in context!