On this page:
Definition of the noun alkali bee
What does alkali bee mean as a name of something?
- a common solitary bee important for pollinating alfalfa in the western United States
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific name: Nomia melanderi
- more generic word: bee = any of numerous hairy-bodied insects including social and solitary species
- member of: genus Nomia / nomia = a genus of bee
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alkali Bee
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
ALKALI BEE Nomia melanderi Cockerell [Hymenoptera: Halictidae]: A monovoltine Species endemic ...
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
The alkali bee, Nomia melanderi, is the world's only intensively managed ground -nesting bee. In regions of the western U.S., alfalfa (=lucerne) seed growers construct large subirrigated nest sites with salt-crusted surfaces. Densities of 400 ...
by David Pimentel, Ph.D.
alkali bee (Nomia melanderi), and mason bees (Osmia spp.) are also managed in some countries for supplementary field crop pollination, and commercially reared bumble bees (Bombus spp.) are extensively used to pollinate glasshouse ...
by Daniel Simberloff, Marcel Rejmanek
The alkali bee (Nomia melanderi), a native of North America, was introduced to New Zealand for pollination of alfalfa and has become established. Because bees are generally regarded as beneficial organisms, should these introductions be ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alkali Bee
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alkali Bee to find many related words and phrases!