On this page:
Who is Allan Nevins?
Allan Nevins: Joseph Allan Nevins was an American historian and journalist, renowned for his extensive work on the history of the Civil War and his biographies of such figures as President Grover Cleveland, Hamilton Fish, Henry Ford, and John D. Rockefeller.
- also known as Joseph Allan Nevins
- born on (125 years ago) in Camp Point, child of Emma Stahl and Joseph Allan Nevins Sr.
- nationality: United States of America
- education: Master of Arts (English Studies) at University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, graduated in
- profession: Historian, journalist, author, writer, biographer
- Marriage with Mary Fleming Richardson
- died on (44 years ago) in Menlo Park
- buried in Kensico Cemetery
- written works: "A House Dividing, 1852-1857", "A pocket history of the United States", "Abram S. Hewitt", "Allan Nevins on history", "America in world affairs", "America through British eyes", "The art of history", "A brief history of the United States", "A century of political cartoons", "Civil War Books", "A diary of battle", "Douglas, Buchanan, and Party Chaos, 1857-1859", "Emergence, of modern America, 1865-1878", "Ford: expansion and challenge, 1915-1933", "Fremont, pathmarker of the West", "Fremont, The World's Greatest Adventurer 2 Vols", "Fruits of Manifest Destiny, 1847-1852", "Frémont, the West's greatest adventurer", "The gateway to history", "Hamilton Fish", "Herbert H. Lehman and his era", "A history of the American people from 1492", "James Truslow Adams: historian of the American dream", "John D. Rockefeller: The Heroic Age of American Enterprise", "Kansas and the stream of American destiny", "Masters' essays in history", "The New Deal and world affairs", "The nomination of Abraham Lincoln", "Old America in a young world", "The origins of the land-grant colleges and State universities", "The place of Franklin D. Roosevelt in history", "The price of survival", "Prologue to Civil War, 1859-1861", "A select bibliography of the history of the United States", "A short history of the United States", "The State universities and democracy", "The statesmanship of the Civil War", "The constitution makers and the public, 1785-1790", "The Evening Post", "The War for the Union, Vol. I", "The Organized War to Victory, 1864-1865", "The Organized War, 1863-1864", "This is England today", "To the End of a Career", "To the Loss of the Presidency", "The United States in a chaotic world", "War Becomes Revolution, 1862-1863", "Grover Cleveland", "The life and writings of Abraham Lincoln"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography - "Grover Cleveland"
- Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography - "Hamilton Fish"
- Bancroft Prize - "Ordeal of the Union"
- American Academy of Arts and Letters Gold Medal for History
- nominated to National Book Award for Nonfiction - "The War for the Union, Vol. I"
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Humanities, US & Canada (U.S. History)
- nominated to National Book Award for History - "The Organized War, 1863-1864" & "The Organized War to Victory, 1864-1865"
- National Book Award for History - "The Organized War to Victory, 1864-1865" & "The Organized War, 1863-1864"
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Allan Nevins
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James Stuart Olson
1998; Peter Collier and David Horowitz, The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty, 1976; Allan Nevins, John D. Rockefeller: The Heroic Age of American ...
by Glenna R. Schroeder-Lein
Allan Nevins. New York: McMillan ...
Volume 17 - Television Technology by Fritz E. Froehlich, Allen Kent
For instance, Allan Nevins, in the introduction to Mabee's book, ...
Second Edition by Kenneth T. Jackson, Lisa Keller, Nancy Flood
Allan Nevins, Abram S. Hewitt, with Some Account of Peter Cooper (New York: Harper and Brothers, 1935); Edward C. Mack, Peter Cooper, Citizen of New York (New York: Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1949) Evan Cornog, Jerome Mushkat ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allan Nevins
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Allan Nevins to find many related words and phrases!