On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun allegheny mountains
What does allegheny mountains mean as a name of something?
- the western part of the Appalachian Mountains; extending from northern Pennsylvania to southwestern Virginia
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of Allegheny Mountains: Alleghenies
- instance of: chain / chain of mountains / mountain chain / mountain range / range / range of mountains = a series of hills or mountains
- part of: Keystone State / PA / Pa. / Pennsylvania = a Mid-Atlantic state; Old Dominion / Old Dominion State / VA / Va. / Virginia = a state in the eastern United States; one of the original 13 colonies; Mountain State / W.V. / West Virginia / WV = a state in east central United States; Appalachian Mountains / Appalachians = a mountain range in the eastern United States extending from Quebec to the Gulf of Mexico
- Allegheny Mountains: The Allegheny Mountain Range — also spelled Alleghany, Allegany and, informally, the Alleghenies — is part of the vast Appalachian Mountain Range of the eastern United States and Canada where it posed a significant barrier to land travel in less technologically advanced eras. It is a barrier range that has a northeast-southwest orientation and runs for about 400 miles from north-central Pennsylvania, through western Maryland and eastern West Virginia, to southwestern Virginia.
- The Allegheny Mountains are a small group of mountains 16 kilometres west of the Clark Mountains in the Ford Ranges of Marie Byrd Land. They were discovered on aerial exploration flights in 1934 by the Byrd Antarctic Expedition and subsequently mapped from aerial flights and ground surveys by the U.S. Antarctic Service from 1939 to 1941. They were named by the U.S. Antarctic Service for Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania which is the alma mater of Paul Siple, leader of the U.S. Antarctic Service West Base.
- also known as 阿拉格尼山脈
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Allegheny Mountains
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
To Inspire Ambition, to Stimulate the Imagination, to Provide the Inquiring Mind with Accurate Information Told in an Interesting Style, and Thus Lead Into Broader Fields of Knowledge, Such is the Purpose of this Work by Guy Stanton Ford
the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia (2160, ...
C Allegheny Mountains, S. C Tablelands, O E. Bnnch, t Hnego Lake, N. Y W. Branch, Allegany Mountains, N. Y Main. Junction of East ...
history, language, literature, biography, geography, travel, art, government, politics, industry, invention, commerce, science, education, natural history, statistics, miscellany; a practical handbook of ready reference based upon everyday needs by Henry Woldmar Ruoff
City in Blair County', Pennsylvania, so named because of its high situation in the Allegheny Mountains, and town in Polk County, Iowa, situated on the highest point between the Des Moines and Mississippi Rivers. A derivative of the Latin word ...
by Simon J Bronner
The Allegheny region comprises the tableland of the Allegheny plateau and the Allegheny Mountains, situated between the Susquehanna River to the east and the Ohio River to the west, and between the Cumberland Plateau in West Virginia ...
The Encyclopedia Americana (1904)
by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines
The Western University of Pennsylvania, which had its beginning in 1787 as the Pittsburgh Academy and is the first institution of learning incorporated west of the Allegheny Mountains, north of the Ohio River, has in the neighborhood of 1,000 ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allegheny Mountains
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Allegheny Mountains
Click on an item to view that photo:
- US 22 ascending the Allegheny Mountains
Photo credit: jmd41280
- Allegheny Mountains and Horseshoe Curve
Midday in late May, along the Norfolk Southern main line. Fisheye perspective
Photo credit: roy.luck
- Tulip leaves in the Allegheny Mountains
Bushwhacking back down to the rented car from the outer edge of Horseshoe Curve, on the Norfolk Southern mainline between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh PA. Fisheye perspective.
Photo credit: roy.luck
- The Glade, Allegheny Mountains, Maryland
Photo credit: Boston Public Library
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Allegheny Mountains
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'allegheny mountains"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Allegheny Mountains to see it in context!