On this page:
Who is Allen Dulles?
Allen Dulles: Allen Welsh Dulles was an American diplomat and lawyer who became the first civilian Director of Central Intelligence and its longest-serving director to date. As head of the Central Intelligence Agency during the early Cold War, he oversaw Operation Ajax, the Lockheed U-2 program and the Bay of Pigs Invasion. Following the assassination of John F Kennedy, Dulles was one of the members of the Warren Commission. Between his stints of government service, Dulles was a corporate lawyer and partner at Sullivan & Cromwell. His older brother, John Foster Dulles, was the Secretary of State during the Eisenhower Administration.
- also known as Allen Welsh Dulles
- born on (122 years ago) in Watertown, child of Allen Macy Dulles and Edith Dulles
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Lawyer
- Marriage with Clover Todd since
- parent of Allen Macy Dulles Jr.
- died on (46 years ago) in Washington, D.C. of influenza, pneumonia
- buried in Green Mount Cemetery
- written works: "The Marshall plan", "The craft of intelligence", "Iskusstvo razvedki", "The Boer war", "The secret surrender", "The challenge of Soviet power", "Can America stay neutral?", "From Hitler's doorstep", "Can we be neutral?", "Germany's underground", "The responsibility of power", "Grt True Spy Stories", "Craft Intelligence"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Allen Dulles
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Collected Essays from the Colloquium at the City University of New York by Gerhard L. Weinberg, David Bankier
And some OSS officials — Allen Dulles is a case in point — clearly recognized what Nazi policy was. The distinction between information about the Holocaust and understanding and acceptance of it, raised initially by Walter Laqueur and ...
The Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War: A Political, Social, and Military History, 2nd Edition [4 volumes] (2011)
A Political, Social, and Military History by Spencer C. Tucker
in Switzerland during World War II, Allen Dulles penetrated German intelligence networks and was responsible for secret negotiations that led to the German surrender in northern Italy.
An Encyclopedia of American Espionage by Glenn Peter Hastedt
While there Dulles, Allen Welsh Allen Dulles played a major role in 256.
by Peter L. Hahn
Allen Dulles ...
by Robert Anthony Waters Jr.
Allen Dulles was a strong supporter of covert operations as a means of quietly projecting U.S. power. The CIA's most important African interventions under Dulles were in Egypt and Congo. In Egypt, the CIA assisted Muhammad Naguib and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allen Dulles
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Allen Dulles to see it in context!