On this page:
Definition of the noun allen ginsberg
What does allen ginsberg mean as a name of something?
- United States poet of the beat generation (1926-1997)
Who is Allen Ginsberg?
Allen Ginsberg: Irwin Allen Ginsberg was an American poet and one of the leading figures of both the Beat Generation of the 1950s and the counterculture that soon would follow. He vigorously opposed militarism, economic materialism and sexual repression. Ginsberg is best known for his epic poem "Howl", in which he denounced what he saw as the destructive forces of capitalism and conformity in the United States.
- also known as Alan Ginsberg, Irwin Allen Ginsberg, Rabbi Buddha Ginsburg, Rabbi Buddha Whitman, Rabbi Buddha Whitman/Ginsburg
- born on (89 years ago) in Newark, child of Naomi Ginsberg and Louis Ginsberg
- ethnicity: Ashkenazi Jews, Jewish American, Jewish people
- nationality: United States of America
- religion: Buddhism, Judaism
- profession: Writer, poet, actor, screenwriter, author, film score composer, teacher, photographer, musician
- Domestic partnership with Peter Orlovsky between and (43 years)
- died on (18 years ago) in New York City of liver cancer, hepatitis
- genre: Spoken word
- albums: "First Blues", "The Lion for Real", "Holy Soul Jelly Roll: Poems and Songs 1949 - 1993", "Meditation Rock", "New York Blues: Rags, Ballads & Harmonium Songs", "Holy Soul Jelly Roll Vol. 4: Ashes & Blues", "September on Jessore Road / Grüss Aus Wien", "Wichita Vortex Sutra", "Holy Soul and Jelly Roll", "Cosmopolitan Greetings", "Two Evenings With Allen Ginsberg"
- written works: "The Yage Letters", "Reality Sandwiches", "The Fall of America: Poems of These States", "Planet News", "Mind Breaths", "Howl", "Pull My Daisy", "Plutonian Ode", "Kaddish", "Hadda Be Playing on the Jukebox", "Death & Fame: Last Poems 1993-1997", "A Supermarket in California", "Careless love", "Airplane dreams", "Allen Ginsberg", "Allen Ginsberg photographs", "As ever", "Ankor wat", "Beat legacy, connections, influences", "The Annotated Howl archive", "Family business", "Collected poems 1947-1980", "Composed on the tongue", "Journals mid-fifties, 1954-1958", "Honorable courtship", "Later L[aughing] Gas note", "Primrose Hill guru", "Sad dust glories", "Poem, interview, photographs", "Selected poems, 1947-1995", "Snapshot poetics", "The Selected Letters of Allen Ginsberg and Gary Snyder, 1956-1991", "Visiting father & friends", "Spontaneous mind", "Straight hearts' delight", "The visions of the great rememberer", "Wichita vortex sutra", "Your reason & Blake's system", "Kaddish and Other Poems", "Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg: The Letters", "Howl and Other Poems", "Cosmopolitan Greetings: Poems 1986-1992", "Iron Horse", "America", "White Shroud Poems", "Deliberate Prose"
- film written: An Autumn Wind
- some of the nominations and awards:
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts, US & Canada (Poetry)
- nominated to National Book Award for Poetry - "The Fall of America: Poems of These States"
- National Book Award for Poetry - "The Fall of America: Poems of These States"
- Robert Frost Medal
- nominated to Pulitzer Prize for Poetry - "Cosmopolitan Greetings: Poems 1986-1992"
- Lifetime Literary Achievement Award
Allen Ginsberg a.k.a. Carlo Marx is a character in the novel On the Road by Jack Kerouac. The name was an alias for beat poet Allen Ginsberg.
- read more about Carlo Marx
"Allen Ginsberg" is a composition.
- music by Yasuaki Shimizu
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Allen Ginsberg
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Drugs in American Society: An Encyclopedia of History, Politics, Culture, and the Law [3 volumes] (2014)
by Nancy E. Marion, Willard M. Oliver
poet Allen Ginsberg, creative writer in the “Beat” generation, praised the effects of lSD and Suspected member of the Gulf cartel, Gregorio Sauceda Gamboa, is. discounted its alleged dangers during testimony in front of the Senate ...
by the late Leonard Feather, Ira Gitler
Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, et al.
Encyclopedia of Hinduism (2006)
by Constance Jones, James D. Ryan
While at Harvard, Alpert began research into human consciousness and, with Timothy Leary, Aldous Huxley, Allen Ginsberg, and others, conducted research into LSD and other psyche- ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allen Ginsberg
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Allen Ginsberg
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Allen Ginsberg
Photo credit: Daquella manera
- Allen Ginsberg's Apartment
206 E. 7th. Former apartment of Allen Ginsberg.
Photo credit: allisonmeier
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Allen Ginsberg
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Allen Ginsberg to see it in context!