On this page:
Who is Allen Mandelbaum?
Allen Mandelbaum was an American professor of Italian literature, poet, and translator. He was the W. R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Humanities at Wake Forest University. He was born in Albany, New York in 1926. His translation of the Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri appeared between 1980 and 1984; they were published by the University of California Press and supported by the notable Dante scholar Irma Brandeis. He subsequently acted as general editor of the California Lectura Dantis, a collection of essays on the Comedy; two volumes, on the Inferno and Purgatorio, have been published.
- born on (89 years ago) in Albany
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Translator, poet, educator
- died on (4 years ago) in Winston-Salem
- written works: "A lied of letterpress for Moser and McGrath", "Chelmaxioms", "From Homer to Dante", "The savantasse of Montparnasse", "The Metamorphoses of Ovid"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to National Book Award for Translation - "The Aeneid"
- National Book Award for Translation - "The Aeneid"
- nominated to National Book Award for Translation - "Purgatorio"
- nominated to Pulitzer Prize for Poetry - "The Metamorphoses of Ovid"
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Allen Mandelbaum
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Allen Mandelbaum, Robert D. Richardson, Jr.
ABOUT THE EDITORS ALLEN MANDELBAUM is an acclaimed poet and.
by Emmanuel Sampath Nelson
As an essayist and editor, Allen Mandelbaum has contributed both to scholarship on Jewish writers and to the American tradition in poetry. Notable in this area are "A Millennium of Hebrew Poetry in Italy (1850-1906)" in Gardens and Ghettos: ...
by Jessie Carney Smith
Allen Mandelbaum. New York: Bantam. Wright, Richard. 1998. Black Boy. New York: Harper. Delano Greenidge-Copprue Ed ...
A Mary Shelley Encyclopedia (2003)
by Lucy Morrison, Staci L. Stone
Allen Mandelbaum. 3 vols. Toronto: Bantam, 1986. . Vita Nuova. Trans. Dino S. Cervigni and Edward Vasta. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press, 1995. Alison, Archibald. History of Europe: From the Commencement of the French ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allen Mandelbaum
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: