The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ally:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun ally
- Definition of the verb ally
- Phrases with Ally
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ally
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ally
- Photos about Ally
- Video language resources about Ally
- Sign language
- Quotes about Ally
- Scrabble value of A1L1L1Y4
- Anagrams of ALLY
- Share this page
Ally is sometimes a misspelling of alley.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ally
What does ally mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: allies
- a friendly nation
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic terms: body politic / commonwealth / country / land / nation / res publica / state = a politically organized body of people under a single government
- member of: alignment / alinement / alliance / coalition = an organization of people (or countries) involved in a pact or treaty
- an associate who provides cooperation or assistance
- example: he's a good ally in fight
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of ally: friend
- more generic word: associate = a person who joins with others in some activity or endeavor
- more specific term: blood brother = a male sworn (usually by a ceremony involving the mingling of blood) to treat another as his brother
Alternative definition of the noun ally
- One united to another by treaty or league; — usually applied to sovereigns or states; a confederate.
- Anything associated with another as a helper; an auxiliary.
- Anything akin to another by structure, etc.
Definition of the verb ally
What does ally mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: allied
- become an ally or associate, as by a treaty or marriage
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Actor - being or organization] [Verb] John and Sarah conspired [Actor - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with infinitive] The US conspired to overthrow the UN [Actor 1 - being or organization] [Verb] against [Actor 2] John conspired against her [Actor 1 - being or organization] [Verb] with [Actor 2] John conspired with Sarah
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- more generic words: affiliate / associate / assort / consort = keep company with
- more specific word: misally = make a bad alliance
Alternative definition of the verb ally
- [transitive] To unite, or form a connection between, as between families by marriage, or between princes and states by treaty, league, or confederacy
- synonym: make common cause
- [transitive] To connect or form a relation between by similitude, resemblance, friendship, or love.
- Ally a.k.a. Alyssa Milano is an actress and a film producer.
- read more about Alyssa Milano (actress)
- Ally a.k.a. Ally Sheedy: Alexandra Elizabeth "Ally" Sheedy is an American film and stage actress, as well as the author of two books. Following her film debut in 1983's Bad Boys, she became known as one of the Brat Pack group of actors in the films The Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire. She is also known for her roles in WarGames, Psych, Short Circuit and High Art, for which she received critical acclaim.
- read more about Ally Sheedy (actress)
- Ally a.k.a. Alexz Johnson: Alexzandra Spencer "Alexz" Johnson is a Canadian singer-songwriter, record producer, actress and philanthropist. Her debut album Voodoo was independently released in 2010, followed by the demo release of The Basement Recordings in 2011, with its sequel, The Basement Recordings II, and EP Skipping Stone in 2012.
- read more about Alexz Johnson
- Ally a.k.a. Dany Verissimo is an actress and model. The child of a Malagasy mother and a French father, a financial director at Air France, Verissimo spent her childhood in France, the United States, and Nigeria. She began performing in pornography at 18 and a half years old, performing in films by John B. Root, the adult film director who she worked with exclusively through her entire 16-month adult film career.
- read more about Dany Verissimo
- Ally a.k.a. Allyn Rachel is an American actress, writer and comedienne best known from a variety of national commercials that began airing in the United States in 2011. She co-created the web series Couple Time with her boyfriend Patrick Carlyle, which was developed for FOX.
- read more about Allyn Rachel (actress)
- Ally a.k.a. Allison Warren is an actress.
- read more about Allison Warren (actress)
- Ally a.k.a. Alexandra Hart-Gilliams is an actress.
- read more about Alexandra Hart-Gilliams (actress)
- Ally a.k.a. Alejandra Pérez is a film actress.
- read more about Alejandra Pérez (actress)
- Ally is the daughter of Marco Pennette and Steve Rabiner.
- Ally a.k.a. Alejandra Nawrocki is a voice actress.
- read more about Alejandra Nawrocki (actress)
- Ally a.k.a. Alia E. Torrie is an actress.
- read more about Alia E. Torrie (actress)
- Ally a.k.a. Allyson Everitt is an actress.
- read more about Allyson Everitt (actress)
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2011 film Ecstasy.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2008 The American Mall.
- Ally is a fictional character from the novel Every Soul a Star.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2009 film Balladyna.
- Ally is a fictional character from the film Amelia's 25th.
- Ally is a fictional character in the 2010 horror film Dylan Dog: Dead of Night.
- Ally is a fictional character from the film Music High.
- Ally is a fictional character from the film Cried Suicide.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2012 science fiction TV movie Earth's Final Hours.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2009 film C Me Dance.
- Ally is a fictional character from the film Bittersweet Lies.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2013 film Honeymoon Suite.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2009 film Hysterical Psycho.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2002 film Rollerball.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2012 film Playing for Keeps.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2013 film Snare .
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2007 film The Neighbor.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2010 film Outcast.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 1964 film Ride the Wild Surf.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2003 film Cry Funny Happy.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2008 film College Road Trip.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2012 film Foodfight!.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2001 film Zoe.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 2004 film Dear Frankie.
- Ally is a fictional character in the 2013 film Sunshine on Leith.
- Ally is a fictional character from the 1987 film High Tide.
- Ally is a fictional character from the film Excuse Me for Living.
- Ally is a fictional character in the film Fateful Findings.
"Ally" is a science fiction novel written by Karen Traviss and was published in March 2007. It is the fifth book in the Wess'Har Series.
- language: English Language
- genres: Science Fiction, Fiction, Speculative fiction
- subject: Space opera
- copyright: 2007-04-01
- released in (8 years ago)
- award: - Philip K. Dick Award nomination for Karen Traviss
Ally is a tv program.
- begun on (15 years ago)
- country: United States of America
- regular cast:
- genre: Comedy
Ally is a fictional job title.
Phrases with Ally
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ally
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Becoming Bridges (2007)
The Spirit and Practice of Diversity by Gary Commins
Being an ally means heeding Gandhi's advice to “recall the face of the poorest person you have seen, and ask yourself if the...
Being an ally means being a zaddik, a righteous person, one who is fully awake, responding to both the drowning ...
Insiders - Outsiders (2009)
Personal Journeys Through Depression from Both Sides of the Divide by Steve Scott
An ally is a power capable of transporting a man beyond the ...
by Jean W. Solomon, Jane Clifford O'Brien
ally is an occupational therapy assistant (OTA) who. GENERAL. CONSIDERATIONS. An OT practitioner who is attempting to grasp the basics of normal development must consider general pediatric terms, the predictable sequence of skill ...
The Male Body (2000)
A New Look at Men in Public and in Private by Susan Bordo
As VI've said, Ally is a postmodern show.
ally is the imagination kept 0:1 a stretch, and how violently are our feelings, our passions, our sympathies called into play ! Had a tithe of ...
The Black Sea Encyclopedia (2014)
by Sergei R. Grinevetsky, Igor S. Zonn, Sergei S. Zhiltsov, Aleksey N. Kosarev, Andrey G. Kostianoy
April the ally ships (6 battle ships, 13 frigates and 9 steamships) approached Odessa and on 10(22) April started bombing the city. However, the attempt of the allies to land was broken off by fire of the on-shore batteries (two frigates ...
The school etymological dictionary and word-book. (Chiefly an abridgment) [of Etymological and pronouncing dictionary]. (1872)
by James Stormonth
-al, -ally ; tactic, -ics, -al, -uUy, -ian; taxidermy, -ic, -ist. taater (F.), to feel by the sense of touch, to handle: distaste, -Jul, -fully, -fulness; taste, -uble, -er, -y, -ily, - Jul, -fully, -less, -lessness; untasted. techne (Or.), art, a trade: technics, -ic, -al, - ally, ...
by Terry M. Mays
HYDER ALLY. As the American Revolution continued, the Continental Navy and state navies faced a serious depletion of ships. In response ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ally
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ally
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Christine Puccio
Photo credit: Andrew E. Larsen
Photo credit: sdmoody
Photo credit: Ashley Campbell Photography
Photo credit: 7 july :-)
Detail of the Lawrence Holofcener 'Allies' sculpture at the Beyond Limits exhibition at Chatsworth House
Photo credit: S John Davey
Photo credit: mattjiggins
In Toronto, Canada
Photo credit: Jo & Joey
Photo credit: kainet
Photo credit: Ashley Campbell Photography
Ally enjoys the first snow of the season
Photo credit: Michael Hart Photography
Photo credit: mtxh3l
A narrow ally
Photo credit: oatsy40
An ally way
Photo credit: oatsy40
- Dark ally
Photo credit: McShaman
- Ally cat
Photo credit: James E. Petts
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ally
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ally Meaning
Video shows what ally means. To unite, or form a connection between, as between families by marriage, or between princes and states by treaty, league, ...
- Ally Meaning
Video shows what Ally means. A diminutive of the female given names Alison, Alice and Alexandra.. A diminutive of the male given name Alfred or of other ...
- Ally meaning and pronunciation
A person named Ally is smart, funny, loyal, caring, and generous. She never gets mad at people and is always smiling. If you know someone named Ally you ...
- Ally: Quick English Vocabulary Lesson
- Logical explanation given by Br. Shabbir Ally in a friendly debate with a Christian brother.
x: Brother Shabbi Ally is currently the President of the Islamic Information & Daw'ah Centre Internation, Toronto, Canada. x: He is a former student of Dr. Jamal ...
- Clyde and Ally's conic explanation
- Ally and Paige Rube Goldberg explanation
- Ally idea description
- Ally and buddy language arts
via YouTube Capture.
- Ally language arts
- Katrina, Ally, and Bryanna AR verb song
- Ally n flo body language
See also the pronunciation examples of Ally!
03/28/09 Ally Knows Sign Language
Quotes about Ally
Scrabble value of A1L1L1Y4
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALLY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Ally!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ally to see it in context!