On this page:
Definition of the noun alpha crucis
What does alpha crucis mean as a name of something?
- the brightest star in the Southern Cross
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- instance of: star = a celestial body of hot gases that radiates energy derived from thermonuclear reactions in the interior
- member of: Crux / Crux Australis / Southern Cross = a small conspicuous constellation in the southern hemisphere in the Milky Way near Centaurus
- Alpha Crucis is the brightest star in the constellation Crux, the Southern Cross, and, at a combined visual magnitude 0.77, is the 13th brightest star in the night sky. Acrux is the southernmost first-magnitude star, just a little more southerly than Alpha Centauri.
- also known as Acrux AB
- Alpha Crucis is the most recent oceanographic research vessel in Brazil, replacing the older Wladimir Besnard research vessel. It is named after the star that represents São Paulo state in the Brazilian flag. It is 64 meters long and 11 meters wide, and has capacity for 25 researchers and 15 and is capable of remaining 40 days without being resupplied.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alpha Crucis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Astronomy (2012)
by Ian Ridpath
Alpha Crucis The brightest star in the constellation Crux, also called Acrux. It is a double star consisting of a B0.5 subgiant, magnitude 1.3, and a B1 dwarf, magnitude 1.7. To the naked eye they appear as a single star of magnitude 0.8. Alpha ...
by John Daintith, William Gould
Alpha Crucis /kroo-sis/ (Acrux; αα Cru) A conspicuous white star that is the brightest in the constellation Crux. It is a visual binary (separation 4′′), both components being spectroscopic binaries.
by Valerie Illingworth
Alpha Crucis (Acrux; o Cru) . A conspicuous white subgiant that is the brightest star in the constellatiqn Crux ...
A Dictionary of Science (2010)
by Elizabeth A. Martin
Alpha Crucis, Delta Cephei). Generally, oz (alpha) signifies the brightest star, [5 ( beta) the second brightest, etc. When the 24 letters of the Greek alphabet are ...
by Robert Allen
Alpha Crucis Trucanini's Dirge ...
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
Alpha Crucis see Acrux. alpha cutoff (frequency) Electronics, in a common-base configured transistor, the high frequency at which alpha drops 3 decibels from its low-frequency value. Alpha Cygni [sig'ne] see Deneb. alpha decay Nuclear ...
Oxford Dictionary of English (2010)
by Angus Stevenson
Acrux /'eIkrAks/ Astronomy the star Alpha Crucis, which is the brightest star in the southern constellation Crux and the twelfth brightest in the sky. — ORIGIN from A for alpha + CRUX. acrylamide /a'krilamAId/ > noun [mass nou:'] Chemistry a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alpha Crucis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alpha Crucis
N/Oc. Alpha Crucis
Photo credit: Jemps
Anagrams of ALPHA CRUCIS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alpha Crucis!
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alpha Crucis for some fun with words!