On this page:
Definition of the noun alpha-adrenoceptor
What does alpha-adrenoceptor mean as a name of something?
- receptors postulated to exist on nerve cell membranes of the sympathetic nervous system in order to explain the specificity of certain agents that affect only some sympathetic activities (such as vasoconstriction and relaxation of intestinal muscles and contraction of smooth muscles)
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of alpha-adrenoceptor: alpha receptor / alpha-adrenergic receptor
- more generic word: receptor = a cellular structure that is postulated to exist in order to mediate between a chemical agent that acts on nervous tissue and the physiological response
- part of: sympathetic nervous system = originates in the thoracic regions of the spinal cord; opposes physiological effects of the parasympathetic: reduces digestive secretions; speeds the heart
Alpha-adrenoceptor a.k.a. alpha-adrenergic receptor activity is a gene group, gene ontology group.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alpha-Adrenoceptor
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ian Stolerman
Effects of alpha-adrenoceptor ...
Black's Medical Dictionary (2002)
by Gordon Macpherson
An alpha-adrenoceptor blocking drug (see ADRENERGIC RECEPTORS) used in the treatment of HYPERTENSION caused by PHAEOCHROMOCYTOMA. Phenoxymethylpenicillin. See under PENICILLIN. Phenylalanine.
Increased venous alpha-adrenoceptor responsiveness in patients with reflex sympathetic dystrophy. Annals of Internal Medicine 118: 619–621. Birklein F, Schmelz M, ...
-oxan, suffix for benzodioxan-derived alpha-adrenoceptor antagonists. oxandrolone /oksan′′drəlōn/, an androgen. n indications: It is prescribed in the treatment of bone pain accompanying osteoporosis and for the stimulation of weight gain ...
by Frank J. Ayd
Treatment of ED can range from psychosexual counseling, drugs (alpha-adrenoceptor blocker), intracavernosal pharmacotherapy, venous leak correction, revascularization, penile ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alpha-Adrenoceptor
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alpha-Adrenoceptor to find many related words and phrases!