On this page:
Definition of the noun alpinia speciosa
What does alpinia speciosa mean as a name of something?
- cultivated for its shining oblong leaves and arching clusters of white flowers with pink shading and crinkled yellow lips with variegated magenta stripes
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Alpinia cristata / species Alpinia cristata / Alpinia fimbriata / species Alpinia fimbriata / Alpinia fluvitialis / species Alpinia fluvitialis / Alpinia nutans longiramosa / variety Alpinia nutans longiramosa / Alpinia penicillata / species Alpinia penicillata / Alpinia schumanniana / species Alpinia schumanniana / Alpinia speciosa / species Alpinia speciosa / Amomum nutans / species Amomum nutans / Catimbium speciosum / species Catimbium speciosum / Costus zerumbet / species Costus zerumbet / Languas schumanniana / species Languas schumanniana / Languas speciosa / species Languas speciosa / Renealmia nutans / species Renealmia nutans / Renealmia spectabilis / species Renealmia spectabilis / Zerumbet speciosum / species Zerumbet speciosum / Alpinia Zerumbet
- synonyms of Alpinia speciosa: shall-flower / shell ginger / shellflower
- more generic word: ginger = perennial plants having thick branching aromatic rhizomes and leafy reedlike stems
- member of: Alpinia / genus Alpinia / genus Languas / genus Zerumbet = perennial rhizomatous herbs of Asia and Australia and Polynesia having ginger-scented rhizomes
- geographic area: Caribbean, North America, Oceania
Phrases with Alpinia speciosa
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alpinia speciosa
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (5 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
Alpinia fluviatilis Hayata; Alpinia schumanniana Valeton; Alpinia speciosa D. Dietr.; Alpinia ...
Psychoactive Substances for Use in Sexual Practices by Christian Rätsch, Claudia Müller-Ebeling
Alpinia speciosa (J. C. Wendl.) K. Schum., Alpinia hort. non. (Andr.) Rosc.] The constituents of the Alpinia genus include essential oils and pungent-tasting ingredients (galangal oil). The alanta (Inula helenium L., Compositae) is also known as ...
by Donald Wyman
hendersonii Aloe ciliaris Alyxia olivaeformis Alpinia speciosa A. purpurata ...
Dictionary of Terpenoids (1991)
of Alpinia speciosa, Juniperus spp., Polygonum hydropiper, Artemisia spp., Shorea ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alpinia speciosa
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alpinia speciosa
Click on an item to view that photo:
Shell-flower (Alpinia speciosa)
Shell-flower is in the ginger family and is native tropical China, Japan, India, Indo-China, Cambodia, Thailand Vietnam, and Malaysia. It is widely cultivated and distributed in most tropical and semi-tropical areas including Brazil, Peru, the Amazon, and the U. S. (Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico). This plant is an evergreen tropical perennial that grows in upright clumps to 8-10' tall in tropical climates. It produces fleshy rhizomes much like ginger that have a ginger-like aroma. Shell-flower was first botanically referred to as Alpinia speciosa but has been standardized A. zerumbet.
Photo credit: cliff1066™
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alpinia speciosa to find many related words and phrases!