Alps appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Splat! – I hit Alps.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun alps
- Phrases with Alps
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alps
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alps
- Photos about Alps
- Videos about Alps
- Quotes about Alps
- Scrabble value of A1L1P3S1
- Anagrams of ALPS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alps
What does alps mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a large mountain system in south-central Europe; scenic beauty and winter sports make them a popular tourist attraction
- examples: We showed him some pictures of the Alps. | The river has its origin in the Japan Alps. | Visitors to Switzerland admire the Alps. | I went camping in the Japan Alps with my club. | The Alps are in the center of Europe. | The scenery of the Alps left a lasting impression on me. | Now you're flying over the Alps. | I went climbing in the Alps. | No place in the world is as beautiful as the Swiss Alps. | We enjoyed a grand view of the Alps from the airplane.
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of Alps: the Alps
- instance of: chain / chain of mountains / mountain chain / mountain range / range / range of mountains = a series of hills or mountains
- part of: Italia / Italian Republic / Italy = a republic in southern Europe on the Italian Peninsula; Austria / Oesterreich / Republic of Austria = a mountainous republic in central Europe; France / French Republic = a republic in western Europe; Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Swiss Confederation / Switzerland = a landlocked federal republic in central Europe
- Dolomite Alps = an eastern range of the Alps in northeastern Italy famous for their dolomitic limestone
- Matterhorn = a mountain in the Alps on the border between Switzerland and Italy
- Monte Bianco / Mont Blanc = the highest mountain peak in the Alps
- Tyrolean Alps = a popular tourist area in the Tyrol
- Weisshorn = a mountain in the Alps in Switzerland
Specialised definition of the noun alps
Glossary of sports
a mountainous area of Switzerland and North Italy, including part of Austria, Slovenia and France. (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
The Alps are one of the great mountain range systems of Europe stretching approximately 1,200 kilometres across eight Alpine countries from Austria and Slovenia in the east, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, and France to the west, and Italy and Monaco to the south. The mountains were formed over tens of millions of years as the African and Eurasian tectonic plates collided. Extreme shortening caused by the event resulted in marine sedimentary rocks rising by thrusting and folding into high mountain peaks such as Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn. Mont Blanc spans the French–Italian border, and at 4,810 m is the highest mountain in the Alps. The Alpine region area contains about a hundred peaks higher than 4,000 m, known as the "four-thousanders".
- also known as Alp Dağları, 阿尔卑斯山
- part of Europe
Who is Alps?
Alps is a musical artist, musician.
- also known as Alps of New South Whales, Alps of New South Wales
- born in (12 years ago)
"Alps" is a musical album of Motorama.
- released on (5 years ago)
"Alps" is the first part of the book Guide-on Bearers of Oles Honchar.
- released in (70 years ago)
- award: - USSR State Prize (II degree), received by Oles Honchar
"Alps" is a 2011 Greek drama film directed by Yorgos Lanthimos. It stars Aggeliki Papoulia and Ariane Labed, and was co-written by Lanthimos and Efthymis Filippou. It premiered in competition at the 68th Venice International Film Festival where it won Osella for Best Screenplay. It also won the Official Competition Prize for New Directions in Cinema at the Sydney Film Festival in 2012.
- also known as Alpeis, Alpe, Alpen, Alper, Alperne, Alpis, Alpi, Alpy, Alpok
- countries: Greece, France, Canada, United States of America, Germany
- languages: Greek Language, English Language
- directors: Yorgos Lanthimos & Armin Linke
- producers: Yorgos Lanthimos & Athina Rachel Tsangari
- production design by Anna Georgiadou
- written by Efthymis Filippou & Yorgos Lanthimos
- casting by Christina Akzoti & Alex Kelly
- cinematography by Christos Voudouris
- edited by Yorgos Mavropsaridis
- costume design by Thanos Papastergiou & Vasileia Rozana
- set decoration by Anna Georgiadou
- genre: Drama
- rating: 14A (Canada)
- released on (4 years ago)
Alps is a school, educational institution.
Phrases with Alps
Phrases starting with the word Alps:
Phrases ending with the word Alps:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alps
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Hiking in Italy (2010)
by Brendan Sainsbury
Under the Apuan Alps is the largest cave system in Italy, and one of the largest in the world.
by Y.P.S Bajaj
The species Campanula isophylla from the Italian Alps is a traditional pot plant in several countries. In recent years, other species, among them the larger- flowering C. carpatica or the miniatures C. portenschlagiana and C. cocMearifo1. ia, ...
Queen of the Desert (2014)
A Biography of the Female Lawrence of Arabia, Gertrude Bell by Fergus Mason
Thehighest mountain inthe Bernese Alps is the Finsteraarhorn, alethal spike thatrisesto 14,022 feet. Only a handful of climbers had ever reached thesummit and none had ever succeeded in climbing the northeast arête,a knifeedged ridge ...
Princeton Alumni Weekly (1985)
Developing a policy about Alps means balancing the individual's ...
The Wild Kingdom of Early Christian Literature by Janet E. Spittler
The best preserved and perhaps most beautiful Roman mosaic found north of the Alps is the 2" or 3r century pavement of the villa at Nennig in Saarland on the river Mosel. Set within a geometric pattern are seven medallions depicting various ...
London encyclopaedia; or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature and practical mechanics (1829)
comprising a popular view of the present state of knowledge by Thomas Tegg
Alps, Pyrenees, Ardennes, Brittany, Bohemia, Scotland, &c. Chief rocks, different varieties of pretty often here ...
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
The Alps are the highest mountains in Europe ; being, according to some geometricians, about two miles in perpendicular height. They begin at the Mediterranean ; aud stretching northward, separate Piedmont and Savoy from the adjacent ...
by Christopher John Murray
ALPS. AT. THE. GREAT. SAINT. BERNARD. PASS. 1801 Painting by Jacques-Louis David 786 NAPOLEON CROSSING THE ALPS AT THE GREAT SAINT BERNARD ...
A Comprehensive Reference Book by Charles Morris
Alps where it divides into two branches, the of the Inn, and also broken by the valley northern proceeding northeast towards of the Adige. The Brenner Pass (4.5S8 Vienna, the southern towards the Balkan feet), from Verona to Innsbruck, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alps
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alps
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: fdecomite
Hard to make out but the first view of the Swiss Alps taken from a City Jet BAE 146.
Photo credit: Ken Mist
Photo credit: nita_travelling
Photo credit: fdecomite
Photo credit: henribergius
Photo credit: fdecomite
Photo credit: hiroshift
Photo credit: bretonne0071
Photo credit: grongar
Photo credit: jo.sau
Photo credit: Ivo Jansch
Photo credit: Pads since 200X something
Photo credit: daniel.julia
Photo credit: www.justgrobio.com
View more pictures about French Alps.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Alps
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alps Meaning
Video shows what Alps means. A mountain range in Western Europe, running from France to Austria, with its highest peak Mont Blanc at 4808 meters.
- Surzette explains definition of ALPS!
- Footsteps2Brilliance's Academic Language Program for Students (ALPS)
The purpose of Footsteps2Brilliance's Academic Language Program for Students (ALPS) is to accelerate language acquisition, vocabulary, and reading for ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Alps!
Quotes about Alps
Scrabble value of A1L1P3S1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALPS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Alps!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alps to see it in context!