On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun altaic
What does altaic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- any member of the peoples speaking a language in the Altaic language group
- a group of related languages spoken in Asia and southeastern Europe
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of Altaic: Altaic language
- more generic word: Ural-Altaic = a (postulated) group of languages including many of the indigenous languages of Russia
- more specific terms:
- Turkic language / Turko-Tatar / Turkic / Turki = a subfamily of Altaic languages
- Tungusic language / Tungusic = a family of Altaic languages spoken in Mongolia and neighboring areas
- Mongolic language / Mongolian / Mongolic = a family of Altaic language spoken in Mongolia
- Korean = the Altaic language spoken by Koreans
- Japanese = the language (usually considered to be Altaic) spoken by the Japanese
Definition of the adjective altaic
What does altaic mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- of or pertaining to or written in Altaic
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
Alternative definition of the adjective altaic
- Of or pertaining to a hypothetical grouping of languages that includes the Turkic, Mongolic, and Tungusic and less often the Japanese and Korean languages. The most familiar modern languages of this group include Turkish, Mongolian and, more controversially, Japanese and Korean.
Phrases with Altaic
Printed books with definitions for Altaic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The word Altaic means Turkish, Mongol. and Manchu. The word Ural means Finnish and Hungarian. It follows at once that Dacota and Cree. but especially Dacota, should be carefully compared with Mongol. The vocative is expressed in Cree ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Altaic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Altaic
If you need images about Altaic for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about Altaic
Video shows what Altaic means. Of or pertaining to a hypothetical grouping of languages that includes the Turkic, Mongolic, and Tungusic and less often the ...
View more videos about Altaic language.
Scrabble value of A1L1T1A1I1C3
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTAIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Altaic!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Altaic to find many related words and phrases!