On this page:
- Definition of the noun altaic
- Definition of the adjective altaic
- Phrases with Altaic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Altaic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Altaic
- Photos about Altaic
- Video about Altaic
- Scrabble value of A1L1T1A1I1C3
- Anagrams of ALTAIC
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun altaic
What does altaic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- any member of the peoples speaking a language in the Altaic language group
- a group of related languages spoken in Asia and southeastern Europe
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of Altaic: Altaic language
- more generic word: Ural-Altaic = a (postulated) group of languages including many of the indigenous languages of Russia
- more specific terms:
- Turkic language / Turko-Tatar / Turkic / Turki = a subfamily of Altaic languages
- Tungusic language / Tungusic = a family of Altaic languages spoken in Mongolia and neighboring areas
- Mongolic language / Mongolian / Mongolic = a family of Altaic language spoken in Mongolia
- Korean = the Altaic language spoken by Koreans
- Japanese = the language (usually considered to be Altaic) spoken by the Japanese
Definition of the adjective altaic
What does altaic mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- of or pertaining to or written in Altaic
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
Alternative definition of the adjective altaic
- Of or pertaining to a hypothetical grouping of languages that includes the Turkic, Mongolic, and Tungusic and less often the Japanese and Korean languages. The most familiar modern languages of this group include Turkish, Mongolian and, more controversially, Japanese and Korean.
Phrases with Altaic
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Altaic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The word Altaic means Turkish, Mongol. and Manchu. The word Ural means Finnish and Hungarian. It follows at once that Dacota and Cree. but especially Dacota, should be carefully compared with Mongol. The vocative is expressed in Cree ...
Dictionary of Languages (1998)
The Definitive Reference to More Than 400 Languages by Andrew Dalby
The name Altaic is taken (paralleling Uralic) from the Altai mountain range ...
The Altaic languages show a very uniform overall typological makeup, including predominantly agglutinative morphology, mostly rigid SOV word order (with all the typical implications associated with this feature), converbs and nominalized ...
A common designation for the typologically related languages of the Turkic, Mongolic, and Tungusic families is 'Altaic languages'; according to some scholars , this designation also includes Korean and Japanese. The common typological ...
Altaic. or. Ural-Altaic. Generic name for the Moghol, Tungus, Turk, Samoyrd, and Ugrian languages. See Castren's " Altaischer Volker." AMAKOSA. African. See Kaffir. Amat. A dialect of older Dra vidian vernacular in Nepaul. AMAZIG. A name ...
Encyclopedia of Linguistics (2013)
by Philipp Strazny
Altaic. and Tom, Stroik, Papers from the 1997 Mid-America Linguistics Conference] Columbia, MO: University of Missouri. Grimes, Barbara F. (ed) 1992. Ethnologue, languages of the world. Dallas, TX: Summer Institute of Linguistics. Harik ...
by David Leeming
Altaic Mythology II ple escape to a mountain top. Many Ainu myths are contained in several heroic narratives, some as long as 15,000 lines, which were often sung by female shamans. (See Kotan Utunnai, and The Woman of Poi-Soya.) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Altaic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Altaic
If you need images about Altaic for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about Altaic
Video shows what Altaic means. Of or pertaining to a hypothetical grouping of languages that includes the Turkic, Mongolic, and Tungusic and less often the ...
View more videos about Altaic language.
Scrabble value of A1L1T1A1I1C3
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTAIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Altaic!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Altaic to find many related words and phrases!