Altar appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Nine vows I live for at Lana’s, as an altar of evil is woven in.
- Deirdre wets altar of St. Simons - no mists, for at last ewer dried.
- For all I paid for at LA, one dam is a gas I made no altar of Di a pillar of.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun altar
- Phrases with Altar
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Altar
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Altar
- Photos about Altar
- Videos about Altar
- Quotes about Altar
- Scrabble value of A1L1T1A1R1
- Anagrams of ALTAR
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun altar
What does altar mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: altars
- the table in Christian churches where communion is given
- a raised structure on which gifts or sacrifices to a god are made
Alternative definition of the noun altar
- A table or similar flat-topped structure used for religious rites.
- Altar is small city in Altar Municipality in the Mexican state of Sonora. It is located in the northwest region of the state at 30°42′49″N 111°50′07″W / 30.71361°N 111.83528°W. Surrounding municipalities are Sáric, Tubutama, Atil, Trincheras, Pitiquito, Caborca and Oquitoa. The northern boundary is with Pima County in the U.S. state of Arizona.
- Altar a.k.a. Altar Municipality: Altar is a municipality in Sonora in north-western Mexico. The municipality had a 2010 census population of 9,049 inhabitants, the vast majority of whom lived in the municipal seat of Altar, which had a population of 7,927 inhabitants. There are no other localities with over 1,000 inhabitants.
- read more about Altar Municipality
- ALTAR is an Aviation waypoint.
- also known as waypoint ALTAR, ALTAR fix, fix ALTAR, ALTAR waypoint
- Altar is a Dutch death metal band. The band started in the early 1990s under various names, including Manticore and Anubis, in the town of Hardenberg. Eventually they settled on Altar. In 1992 they released their only demo, which landed them at Displeased Records. After five full-lengths the band split up in 2001. From time to time, the classic line-up reunites to play a limited number of shows under the name Altar-native.
- also known as Altar (Nederland)
- albums: "Provoke", "In the Name of the Father", "Ego Art", "Red Harvest", "Youth Against Christ", "Until Heaven Forbids", "...And God Created Satan to Blame for His Mistakes"
- Altar is a Romanian metal band from Cluj Napoca, that formed in 1991. After a couple of local shows, the band had their first national concert at the '91 Samrock Festival, where they won the prize for the most popular band. After the performance at the Timişoara '92 Studfest, Altar was considered the revelation of the festival. They enjoyed enormous success afterwards, releasing five albums and becoming one of the most important metal bands in Romania.
- Altar is a house music duo of Brazilian producers and DJs Macau and VMC. Formed in 2001, the duo began receiving recognition in nightclubs in 2003 after the release of their single "Sexercize". A collaboration with vocalist Jeanie Tracy, "Party People" became their first number-one hit on the U.S. Hot Dance Club Play chart in early 2007.
- Altar is a musical group.
- Mieszko Talarczyk between and
- albums: "No Flesh Shall Be Spared", "Ex Oblivione / The Fragile Concept of Affection"
There are other groups with in their name, like Altar Ego, Altar Boys, Black Altar, Pagan Altar, Altar of Flesh, Witching Altar, Altar of Giallo, Altar of Plagues, Altar of Oblivion and Altar of Perversion.
- "Altar" is a collaboration album between Japanese doom band Boris and American drone doom duo Sunn O))), released on October 31, 2006 through Southern Lord Records. A limited two-CD edition was released on October 23 via Southern Lord with a 28 minute bonus track with Sunn O))), Boris, and Dylan Carlson, titled "Her Lips Were Wet with Venom". Inoxia Records released their own two-CD version in 2006 which features a bonus track on the first disc, "The Sinking Belle", and also features "Her Lips Were Wet with Venom" on disc 2. The triple-vinyl edition by Southern Lord contains all of the songs from their two-CD edition, additional pictures, and liner notes by Kim Thayil. The Daymare 3LP version was released March 23, 2007 and features a bonus track not found on any other version of this release: "The Sinking Belle".
- "Altar" is the twentieth album in the live praise and worship series of Christian Contemporary music by Hillsong Church Kiev.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Altar" is a musical EP of Kahn.
- released on (4 years ago)
"Altar" is a 1985 adventure film written by Zeki Alan and directed by Remzi Jöntürk.
- also known as Altar, o exolothreftis
- director: Remzi Aydın Jöntürk
- starring: Eşref Kolçak as Zodiak
- released in (30 years ago)
- Altar: An altar is any structure upon which offerings such as sacrifices are made for religious purposes. Altars are usually found at shrines, and they can be located in temples, churches and other places of worship. Today they are used particularly in Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, Taoism, as well as in Neopaganism and Ceremonial Magic. Judaism used such a structure until the destruction of the Second Temple. Many historical faiths also made use of them, including Greek and Norse religion.
- also known as 祭壇
- Altar: In the liturgy of the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church, the altar is the table on which the Sacrifice of the Mass is offered. Mass may sometimes be celebrated outside a sacred place, but traditionally never without an altar, or at least an altar stone until recent changes, a corporal now being sufficient.
- Altar: Altars in the Hebrew Bible were typically made of earth or unwrought stone. Altars were generally erected in conspicuous places The first altar recorded in the Hebrew Bible is that erected by Noah. Altars were erected by Abraham, by Isaac, by Jacob, and by Moses.
- Altar: A Wiccan altar is a "raised structure or place used for sacrifice, worship, or prayer", upon which a Wiccan practitioner places several symbolic and functional items for the purpose of worshiping the God and Goddess, casting spells, and/or saying chants and prayers.
Phrases with Altar
Phrases starting with the word Altar:
Phrases ending with the word Altar:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Altar
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Over the opposite altar is a fine mosaic copy of Raphael's Transfiguration. Turning to the left is the Clementina Chapel, with monuments of Pius VII., by Thorwaldsen, and Pius VIIL, by Tene- rani. Above the altar is a mosaic of the Miracle of ...
Architecture in Communion (1998)
Implementing the Second Vatican Council Through Liturgy and Architecture by Steven J. Schloeder
The altar is the center of the church, it is the raison d'etre of...
Rome, Ancient and Modern (1842)
And Its Environs by Jeremiah Donovan
The first statue heyond the altar is that of Mary Magdalen j the next is that of S. Francis of Assisi; and below, between both,
great altar is the choir ; and opposite the altar is the monumental slab of the Countess Sforza , who died in 1612.
by Thomas Cook Ltd
Above the next altar is a mosaic, generally esteemed the finest in St. Peter's, representing Santa Petronilla. The original picture by Gtiercino is in the Capitoline Gallery. Over the next altar is a mosaic after Guide's picture of the Archangel ...
Travels in Europe (1839)
For the Use of Travellers on the Continent, and Likewise in the Island of Sicily ... to which is Added an Account of the Remains of Ancient Italy, and Also of the Roads Leading to Those Remains by Mariana Starke
Under the high altar is a Subterranean Chapel called Il Soccorso, which contains the relics of S. Gennaro; and is supposed to be a remaining part of the temple of Apollo. This Chapel is incrusted with white marble, supported with Columns of ...
Catholic Churches of London (1998)
by Denis Evinson
The altar is a solid block of Cornish marble, undecorated and said to weigh 12 tons. Above it is the magnificent baldacchino designed by Bentley and erected in 1905-1906. Eight monoliths of Verona marble support the canopy vaulted with ...
With an Account of the Remains of Ancient Italy, and of the Roads Leading to Those Remains by Mariana Starke
Under the high altar is a Subterranean Chapel called Il Soccorso, which contains the relics of S. Gennaro; and is supposed to be a remaining part of the Temple of Apollo. This Chapel is incrusted with white marble, supported with Columns of ...
Walks in Oxford (1817)
comprising an original, historical, and descriptive account of the colleges, halls, and public buildings of the university: with an introductory outline of the academical history of Oxford. To which are added a concise history and description of the city, and delineations in the environs of Oxford by W. M. Wade
the altar is a chalice of silver gilt, highly ornamented with antique sculpture. This was purchased by the Founder at the dissolution, from the suppressed abbey of St. Alban's, the venerable abbey- church of H 3 ...
Memoirs of John Evelyn, comprising his diary, from 1641 tp 1705-6, and a selection of his familiar letters. To which is subjoined, the private correspondence between Charles I. and sir E. Nicholas; also between sir E. Hyde and sir R. Browne, ed. by W. Bray (1827)
by John Evelyn, Charles I (king of Gt. Britain.)
Under the high altar is an ample grot inlaid with pietra-corri essa, wherein half of the bodies of St. Peter and St. Paul are preserv'd ; before hang divers greate lamps of the richest plate burning continually. About this and contiguous to the altar ...
Galignani's new Paris guide (1838)
containing an accurate statistical and historical description of all the institutions, public edifices ... an abstract of the laws affecting foreigners ... by Galignani, firm, publishers, Paris
Behind the high altar is a monument of cedar of Lebanon, richly ornamented with gilt bronze and mouldings. It rests upon a basement of costly variegated marble, and contains the relics belonging to the church. The divisions in which the relics ...
by David Bershad, Caroline Mangone
Above the left altar is a richly decorated tabernacle by Lattanzio di Nicolo, and in a niche above the right altar is a Baptism of Christ and an Eternal Father by Perugino(1507). Lack of funds dictated that SAN SALVATORE would not have the ...
Prager's Pattern (2000)
by John Alvar
And directly above the altar is the crucified Christ whose ten foot figure hangs in perpetual ...
by Nathaniel Altman
Creating a Home Altar Creating an altar in your home is a very personal undertaking. The altar exists to remind you of your inner life. It also can serve as a centerpiece for your meditation practice or where you recite your daily prayers. You can ...
A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting by Lexa Rosean
A traditional altar holds representations of the four elements: cauldron of incense (air), red candle (fire), bowl of water (water), bowl of salt (earth). God and goddess statues are placed in the center surrounded by seasonal flowers, a black ...
by Paul F. Bradshaw
The papal altar in St Peter's Basilica in Rome is covered by a ciborium but it tends to be referred to as Bernini's great...
Biographical, Historical, and Descriptive by Russell Sturgis
ALTAR at the side : this predella or foot pace corresponds in length with the mensa, plus 1 4 inches at either side, and should not be approached by less than two steps, with treads 12 inches to 2 feet wide and risers 4 J inches high. If there is a ...
An Encyclopedia of Shamanism (2007)
by Christina Pratt
Altar The general patterns found in the shamanism of this region are those of Siberian shamans. In the important divination rituals of Altai shamans the soul of a sacrificial horse is ridden by the shaman's soul to the ninth level of the Upperworld ...
An Unabridged Reprint of the 1901-2 Edition by Russell Sturgis, Francis A. Davis
ALTAR at the side; this predella or foot-pace corresponds in length with the mensa, plus 14 inches at either side, and should not be approached by less than two steps, with treads 12 inches to 2 feet wide and risers 4% inches high. If there is a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Altar
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Altar
Click on an item to view that photo:
Priorio, Las Caldas, Asturias
Photo credit: Gonmi
Photo credit: Angelica Renee H.
Photo credit: leo.laempel
Photo credit: zenjazzygeek
Photo credit: SdosRemedios
Inside St. Peter's Basillica
Photo credit: Paul Kelley
Photo credit: eddiecoyote
Photo credit: JimsBack
Photo credit: marthax
Photo credit: miss_rogue
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Washington Memorial Chapel, Valley Forge National Park
Photo credit: Thomas James Caldwell
- Altar (Arundel)
The altar at the church opposite the cathedral in Arundel is so awesome it had to be photographed
Photo credit: chriskoven
- Altar flowers
Photo credit: twbuckner
- Shiva altar
Photo credit: Aine D
- Pergamon Altar
View of the Pergamon Altar inside de Pergamon Museum.
Photo credit: plassen
- Altar for Mammon
Photo credit: illustir
- Christ Altar
this is at the rear of the chapel in the West. The Eastern altar changes from week to week, but this always the same.
Photo credit: timjmansfield
- Capelinha Altar
Photo credit: Tony_B3
- Backyard Altar
Photo credit: keaki83
View more pictures about Altar cloth.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Altar
Click on an item to play that video:
- Meaning And Some Uses Behind Altar TooLs
- Day of the Dead altar explanation
- The Sacred Meaning of China's Altar of Heaven
This feature-length documentary explores the first religion of China that existed before Daoism, Confucianism and Buddhism. The Altar of Heaven complex in ...
- Altar Meaning
Video shows what altar means. A table or similar flat-topped structure used for religious rites.. altar pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Altar boy Meaning
Video shows what altar boy means. A boy serving as an acolyte in certain forms of Christianity.. A young man, adhering to traditional values.. altar boy ...
- Altar Server Vocabulary
- Explanation of Home Altar by Rev Rod
Rev Rod Hashimoto (Head of Vancouver Church, and KCNA's Chief Administrative Minister) and his family visited the Toronto Church March 24th for the Spring ...
- The Spiritual Meaning of Mandela's Altar to Africa
- Altar bell Meaning
Video shows what altar bell means. (in the Roman Catholic Church) a bell rung at significant times during the Mass. Altar bell Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Altar, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- 110610 1620 Altar Description
- 100808 1705 Altar Description COMPLETE IMG 0129 31
- Nahuatl Mexicano Indian Language Todos Santos Altar All Saints
Nahuatl culture and ages past...cultura nahuatl y epocas pasadas.
- Drama Signing Dictionary Altar
See also the pronunciation examples of Altar!
Quotes about Altar
Scrabble value of A1L1T1A1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTAR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Altar!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Altar to see it in context!