On this page:
Definition of the noun althea rosea
What does althea rosea mean as a name of something?
- plant with terminal racemes of showy white to pink or purple flowers; the English cottage garden hollyhock
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Alcea cultorum / species Alcea cultorum / Alcea ficifolia / species Alcea ficifolia / Alcea lenkoranica paimatifida / variety Alcea lenkoranica paimatifida / Alcea rosea ficifolia / subspecies Alcea rosea ficifolia / Althaea caribaea / species Althaea caribaea / Althaea chinensis / species Althaea chinensis / Althaea coromandeliana / species Althaea coromandeliana / Althaea ficifolia / species Althaea ficifolia / Althaea flexuosa / species Althaea flexuosa / Althaea mexicana / species Althaea mexicana / Althaea rosea / species Althaea rosea / Althaea rosea sinensis / variety Althaea rosea sinensis / Althaea sinensis / species Althaea sinensis / Malva florida / species Malva florida / Malva hortensus / species Malva hortensus / Malva rosea / species Malva rosea / Alcea rosea
- synonym of Althea rosea: rose mallow
- more generic word: hollyhock = any of various tall plants of the genus Alcea
- member of: Alcea / genus Alcea = genus of erect herbs of the Middle East having showy flowers: hollyhocks
- geographic area: Caribbean, North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Althea rosea
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James Britten, Robert Holland
ALTHEA ROSEA, L. Bysmalow, Hock, Hock-holler, Hollek, Hollihocke, Holy Hoke . ALYSSUM CALYCINUM, L. Heal-bite, or Heal-do . ALYssUM MARITIMUM, L. Allison (Sweet), Seedling, Snow-drift. ALYSSUM SAXATILE, L. Gold Dust.
A Dictionary of Popular Names of the Plants which Furnish the Natural and Acquired Wants of Man, in All Matters of Domestic and General Economy (1882)
Their History, Products, & Uses by John Smith
Hollyhock (Althea rosea), a strong-growing single-stemmed biennial of the Mallow family (Malvacese), a well-known showy garden plant, native of China, of which there are many varieties patronised by florists. Of late years Hollyhocks have ...
The Housekeeper's Encyclopedia of Useful Information for the Housekeeper in All Branches of Cooking and Domestic Economy ... (1861)
by E F Haskell
Althea rosea, or Hollyhock, various colors. Ipomopsis elegans, scarlet.
by Edward T. Blakely
A tall-stemmed plant (Althea rosea), with a gaudy flower, cultivated in gardens ; the flowers are mucilaginous and demulcent, and the leaves dye blue. Holystone. A large stone used with sand for scouring a ship's decks by hand. Hominy.
A Guide for the Pharmaceutist, Druggist, and Physician ; Containing Concise Explanations of the Various Subjects and Terms of Pharmacy, and Appropriate Selections of the Collateral Sciences by Hiram V. Sweringen
ALTHEA ROSEA. (Hollyhock.) The roots of which possess properties similar to marshmallow, and may be substituted for it. It belongs to the same natural order of Malvaceae. ALUDEL. In chemistry aludels are earthen pots without bottoms, that ...
A Dictionary of Genetics (2006)
by Robert C. King, William D. Stansfield, Pamela K. Mulligan
hollyhock Althea rosea honey locust Gleditsia triacanthos hop Humulus lupulus huckleberry Gaylussacia baccata ( black) hyacinth ...
by Sir Thomas Edward Thorpe
Colouring matters which rapidly penetrate the jelly:Althea officinalis Cherry, red, sour Althea rosea (holly- Cherry, black hock). Clematis, purple Beetroot Cochineal Bilberry Cranberry Brazil wood Carnations (Dianthus Currant, red Currant, ...
by Talcott Williams, Frank Moore Colby
and the hell hock (Althea rosea). The name Althma is applied also by gardeners to the Roe of Sharon (Hibiscus syn'acus). See HOLLYHOCK; MARSHMALLOW; Hnnseos.
by Leo de Colange
Hollyhock, a tall-stemmed plant (Althea rosea) with a gaudy flower, cultivated in gardens ; the flowers are mucilaginous and demulcent, and the leaves dye blues. Holometer, a mathematical instrument for taking measures both on the earth ...
The Treasury of Botany: a Popular Dictionary of Vegetable Kingdom with which is Incorporated a Glossary of Botanical Terms Edited by John Lindley and Thomas Moore (1870)
Althea rosea. PASSEROUS. (FL) Valerianella coro— ' nata. PASSE-TOUT. ( Fr) A fine variety of P. tinc- . mm is employed in the dyeing of wool ' PASSIFLORA. The technical name of the genus to which the popular name Passion-flower is ...
with a definition of the moneys, weights, and measures of all countries, by Peter Lund Simmonds
Hollyhock, a tall-stemmed plant (Althea rosea), with a gaudy flower, cultivated in gardens; the flowers are mucilaginous and demulcent, and the leaves dye blue. Holm (Saxon), a river Islet; the "level low ground on the banks of a river.
A Dictionary, Hindustani & English: Accompanied by a Reversed Dictionary, English and Hindustani (1858)
by Duncan Forbes
Althea rosea, Roxb.). gul-dār, spotted. gul dān, m. a flowerpot. guli-dāādī, Chrysanthemum Indicum. gul-dasta, m. a nosegay. gul-denā, to scar, to make an issue. gulrukh or gul-rukhsār, ...
The Panjábí Dictionary (1895)
by Maya Singh, Henry Martyn Clark
Chinese and Persian hollyhock (Althea rosea ): — gul khatmi, s. to. Marshmallows flower: — gul Idwnd, dend, v. n. To cauterize, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Althea rosea
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Althea rosea
Click on an item to view that photo:
Althea rosea pollen dispersing
Photo credit: Matt Lavin
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Althea rosea to find many related words and phrases!