On this page:
Who is Alton Ellis?
Alton Ellis: Alton Nehemiah Ellis OD was a Jamaican vocalist. One of the innovators of rocksteady who was given the informal title "Godfather of Rocksteady". In 2006, he was inducted into the International Reggae And World Music Awards Hall Of Fame.
- also known as Ellis, Alton; Alton & Eddie
- born on (77 years ago) in Trenchtown
- nationality: Jamaica
- profession: Singer-songwriter, singer
- member of musical groups:
- died on (7 years ago) in London
- genres: Ska, Rhythm and blues, Reggae, Rocksteady
- albums: "Cry Tough", "Arise Black Man 1968-1978", "Best of Alton Ellis", "Get Ready for Rock-Reggae-Steady", "Jet Star Reggae Max - Alton Ellis", "My Time Is the Right Time", "Soul Groover", "Soul of Jamaica", "Still in Love", "Sunday Coming", "The Duke Reid Collection", "Be True to Yourself: Anthology 1965-1973", "Many Moods of Alton Ellis", "African Descendants", "The Best of Alton Ellis", "Hey World", "Showcase", "Live and Learn", "Many Moods Of", "Slummin'", "A New Day", "Daydreaming", "Love to Share", "Mr Soul of Jamaica", "Alton & Hortense Ellis", "Mr Skabeana", "Workin' on a Groovy Thing", "Live & Learn", "Love Up Kiss Up / Laba Laba Reggae", "Dance Crasher / I Will Get a Long Without You", "Continuation", "What Does It Take to Win Your Love / Reggae Meringue", "I’m Still in Love With You", "Sings Rock and Soul"
- filmography: "Reggae in a Babylon"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alton Ellis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Frederic Gomes Cassidy, Robert Brock Le Page
Alton Ellis says,.. — reggae music is unfinished because Jamaica is unfinished. 1976 Time 22 March 83, Created 15 years ago in the west Kingston ghettos by amateur musicians, reggae is characterized by a scratchy, staccato guitar, ...
From the Age of Segregation to the Twenty-first Century Five-volume Set by Paul Finkelman
Rocksteady groups included the Gaylads, Alton Ellis and the Flames, and Desmond Dekker and the Aces. Meanwhile a social movement known as Rastafarianism was taking place in Jamaica that ultimately became a major influence on the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alton Ellis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alton Ellis
Click on an item to view that photo:
Anagrams of ALTON ELLIS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alton Ellis!
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alton Ellis for some fun with words!