On this page:
Definition of the noun altruist
What does altruist mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: altruists
- someone who makes charitable donations intended to increase human well-being
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of altruist: philanthropist
- more generic words: bestower / conferrer / donor / giver / presenter = person who makes a gift of property
- Andrew Carnegie / Carnegie = United States industrialist and philanthropist who endowed education and public libraries and research trusts
- Peter Cooper / Cooper = United States industrialist who built the first American locomotive
- Ezra Cornell / Cornell = United States businessman who unified the telegraph system in the United States and who in 1865 (with Andrew D. White) founded Cornell University
- Solomon Guggenheim / Guggenheim = United States philanthropist
- John Harvard / Harvard = American philanthropist who left his library and half his estate to the Massachusetts college that now bears his name
- Milton Snavely Hershey / Hershey = United States confectioner and philanthropist who created the model industrial town of Hershey, Pennsylvania
- Johns Hopkins / Hopkins = United States financier and philanthropist who left money to found the university and hospital that bear his name in Baltimore
- Andrew William Mellon / Andrew W. Mellon / Andrew Mellon / Mellon = United States financier and philanthropist
- Alfred Bernhard Nobel / Alfred Nobel / Nobel = Swedish chemist remembered for his invention of dynamite and for the bequest that created the Nobel prizes
- First Viscount Nuffield / William Richard Morris / Nuffield = British industrialist who manufactured automobiles and created a philanthropic foundation
- John Davison Rockefeller / John D. Rockefeller / Rockefeller = United States industrialist who made a fortune in the oil business and gave half of it away
- Commodore Vanderbilt / Cornelius Vanderbilt / Vanderbilt = United States financier who accumulated great wealth from railroad and shipping businesses
- Elihu Yale / Yale = English philanthropist who made contributions to a college in Connecticut that was renamed in his honor
Alternative definition of the noun altruist
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Altruist
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Flaming Sword (1894)
THE ALTRUIST Is a monthly paper, ...
Game Theory Evolving (2000)
A Problem-centered Introduction to Modeling Strategic Behavior by Herbert Gintis
2By definition an altruist is an agent who takes actions that improve the fitness or material well-being of other agents when more self-interested actions are available. 3The Rotten Kid Theorem has been empirically tested and received some ...
The Spectator (1897)
Now and again we get a refreshing flash of the old Ouida, but in the main The Altruist is an acid little satire, the effect of which is vitiated from end to end by the extravagance of its portraiture and the inaccuracy of its details. Novels and plays ...
The Cambridge Rawls Lexicon (2014)
by Jon Mandle, David A. Reidy
Ingeneral, altruism does not require that one promote the interestsof others equally, soan altruist may, forexample, sacrificeher own interests for thoseofthe membersofan exclusive group such as family orcommunity members. Rawls saysthat ...
Altruist′ic.—adv.Altruist ′ically. [Fr.altruisme, formedby Comtefrom It. altrui —L. alter, another.] Alum, al′um,n.a mineral salt,the double sulphateof alumina ...
Capricon Rhyming Dictionary (1986)
(aid to Rhyme) by Bessie G. Redfield
Altruist, casuist, linguist, ventriloquist Acquit, biscuit, circuit, conduit, Jesuit, pilot- biscuit, quit, short-circuit Breadfruit, bruit, dress-suit, follow suit, fruit, grapefruit, lawsuit, pursuit, recruit, suit, unionsuit Mesquite, suite, tout de suite Quite, requite ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Altruist
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Altruist
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: orchidgalore
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Altruist
Video shows what altruist means. One imbued with altruism;. altruist synonyms: philanthropist. Altruist Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
See also the pronunciation examples of Altruist!
Scrabble value of A1L1T1R1U1I1S1T1
The value of this 8-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTRUIST
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Altruist!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Altruist to see it in context!