On this page:
- Altus is a city and county seat in Jackson County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 19,813 at the 2010 census, a loss of 7.7 percent compared to 21,454 at the 2000 census.
- Altus is a city in Franklin County, Arkansas, United States. It is part of the Fort Smith, Arkansas-Oklahoma Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 817 at the 2000 census. When the Iron Mountain Railroad laid rails up the Arkansas River Valley in the 1870s from Little Rock to the Oklahoma border at Fort Smith, Altus was the highest point on the track. In recognition of this highest railroad elevation between Little Rock and Fort Smith, the station was originally known as Summit. The town's initial development was due to railroad efforts encouraging German immigration to settle lands adjacent to the railroad. In 1903, the railroad mainline was shifted to a more favorable alignment along the Arkansas River. The track through Altus was removed in the 1930s, but the railroad station has been preserved as a commercial establishment.
- Altus was a fortress town in Mygdonia near Therma. The town is mentioned by Stephanus of Byzantium and Theagenes of Macedon.
Phrases with Altus
- Aceria Altus
- Aculus Altus
- Barbus Altus
- Esomus altus
- Juncus Altus
- Leymus Altus
- Smaris Altus
- Tectus Altus
- Acalles Altus
- Anthias Altus
- Anthrax Altus
- Clypeus Altus
- Eutelus Altus
- Hyrtios Altus
- Puntius Altus
- Pycreus Altus
- Senecio Altus
- Aphanius Altus
- Barbodes altus
- Chaparea Altus
View more phrases with the word Altus in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Altus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Satellite, Aircraft, Sensor Web and Ground-Based Observational Methods and Strategies by Guido Visconti, Pietro Di Carlo, W. Brune, M. Schoeberl, Andreas Wahner
The Altus is a modestly size UAV with a length of about 7 m and a wingspan of 17 m. The Altus is powered by a gasoline...
by Patrick Kennedy
The Altus is a hymn in praise of the 342 Fictions of the Irish Celts.
Early Musical Borrowing (2004)
by Honey Meconi
The altus is a fifth higher than the tenor, the altusis thedux whilethetenor isthe comes, and the verticalalignment ismuch closer toMa maistresse than toAu travail suis. This quotation is similar to Ockeghem'sother quotations examinedso far in ...
Snake Mountain (2000)
A Novel by Jerry Craven
Altus is a mean dude, and you took him down fast and hard. Two things keep the guys from stringing your ass all over the street. One is the balls you showed in standing up to Altus, something not many of them would do. The other is that Altus ...
Tipbook Vocals (2002)
The Singing Voice by Hugo Pinksterboer
The additional singers were referred to as the counter tenor bassus and the counter tenor altus respectively. l Altus means high, as in 'altitude.') A fourth line, even higher in pitch, was sang by the siiperius or sopra. Voice types This, then, ...
An Introduction by Paul Kline
For example, altus means deep and high, sacer holy and profane. Such ambivalence is, asI have indicated, a problem for scientific investigation butnot one which is insuperable. Although, inpsychoanalytic theory, opposites, like other ...
by Walter Whiter
The English Horse or Hoist, To Elevate, has been derived by some from the French Hausser, and from the Saxon Heahsian, Elevare, and Heah, Altus. It surely belongs to the French term; and if that be the fact, we shall be of opinion, that ...
by James A. Jobling
altus high, shrill. altaica / altaicus Altai Mts, central Asia. alter / altera L. alter, altera second, next, another. Alterapus (syn. Rhaphidura) L. alter another; genus Apus Scopoli, 1777, swift. alternans L.
by Don Michael Randel
* contratenor altus]. ( 1 ) The lowest female voice, as distinct from the soprano and ...
by Johannes Willmet
q„-•-•• Altus, excelus. T II. 88o: 3. etلاريا teri. item Similis: alteri, eodem nomine appellari dignus. C. 19: وسهلاوي .Coll و شماة .66 GB-o-" etc., Coelum. fic Deus الأرض في إشا والاسهاء dedit •'-*-* terram pro pauimento , coelum pro teéto.
by Michael Agnes
|< L altus, high| 1 a platform where sacrifices are made to a god, etc.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Altus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Altus
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Altus, AR
Greg surveys the Arkansas River Valley from St. Mary's Mountain in picturesque Altus, AR.
Posted for Greg's Squidoo page. Check it out!
Photo credit: lucianvenutian
- C-17 Altus AFB, Oklahoma
C-17 out of Altus AFB flying east over Duncan, OK.
Photo credit: duggar11
- Altus Lake
Photo credit: DebbiRobertson
- Grandsons and Altus
Photo credit: belindah-Thank You!-600,000 Views Now
- Penny + Altus Bulldog
35mm kodak pro ultra color 400 exp. 6/08
Slim's, San Fransisco, CA
Photo credit: inhisgrace
- Quartz Mountains - Altus, Oklahoma
Photo credit: Ty Nigh
Videos about Altus
Click on an item to play that video:
- Altus Meaning
Video shows what Altus means. City in Southwest Oklahoma, USA. Altus Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Altus. Powered by ...
- 05 of 66 | Beulah's Grapes | Tune 'Altus' | Meaning : Deep | Deuteronomy 23:24
A 21st Century Contemporary Hymn Lyrics by Rev. Victor Robert Farrell Music & Voice by Matt & Amy Dunn...
See also the pronunciation examples of Altus!
Scrabble value of A1L1T1U1S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTUS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Altus!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Altus to see it in context!