On this page:
- Definition of the noun amaryllis
- Phrases with Amaryllis
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amaryllis
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amaryllis
- Photos about Amaryllis
- Video about Amaryllis
- Scrabble value of A1M3A1R1Y4L1L1I1S1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amaryllis
What does amaryllis mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amaryllises
- bulbous plant having showy white to reddish flowers
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- more generic term: bulbous plant = plant growing from a bulb
- more specific terms:
- Amaryllis belladonna / belladonna lily / naked lady = amaryllis of South Africa often cultivated for its fragrant white or rose flowers
- Hippeastrum puniceum / hippeastrum = amaryllis of tropical America often cultivated as a houseplant for its showy white to red flowers
- Strekelia formosissima / Jacobean lily / Aztec lily = Mexican bulbous herb cultivated for its handsome bright red solitary flower
- member of: Amaryllidaceae / amaryllis family / family Amaryllidaceae = snowdrop; narcissus; daffodil
Alternative definition of the noun amaryllis
- The Belladonna Lilly
Amaryllis was a restaurant located in the One Devonshire Gardens hotel in Glasgow, Scotland. It was opened by chef Gordon Ramsay, with David Dempsey operating the restaurant on a daily basis for the celebrity chef. It was awarded a Michelin star in 2002, which it held until the restaurant's closure in 2004.
Amaryllis is a musical group.
- album: "Inquietum Est Cor"
Amaryllis is a fictional film character.
- "Amaryllis" is the fourth studio album by American rock band Shinedown. It was announced on January 3, 2012, the same day as the first single, "Bully," was released, for release on March 27, with pre-orders opening on January 17. A music video for the song "Unity" was released on March 12.
- "Amaryllis": アマリリス is Wink's second single. Released on 1988-9-7, with a CD catalog number H10R-30007, and cassette tape catalog number X10R-1018.
- "Amaryllis" is an album by pianist Marilyn Crispell, bassist Gary Peacock, and drummer Paul Motian recorded in 2000 and released on the ECM label.
- "AMARYLLIS" is a musical album of VERONICA VERONICO.
- released on
- "Amaryllis" is a musical album of Bread, Love and Dreams.
"Amaryllis" is a 2010 short story written by Carrie Vaughn.
- released in (5 years ago)
- award: - Hugo Award for Best Short Story nomination for Carrie Vaughn
- Amaryllis was a cargo ship built in 1945 at Burrard Dry Dock in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. She was 441.6 feet long and measured 7,147 gross register tons. Originally named Cromwell Park, she was built for the government of Canada to be used in World War II. In 1946 she was sold to Canadian Transportation Co. Ltd. which renamed her the Harmac Vancouver. In 1948, she was sold to Greek shipowner Kydoniefs, renamed the Amaryllis and registered in Panama. In 1965, she ran aground during Hurricane Betsy off the coast of Florida and was later sunk offshore as an artificial reef at 26°47′17″N 80°00′58″W / 26.78806°N 80.01611°W.
- Amaryllis is a super-yacht built in 2011 at the shipyard Abeking & Rasmussen. The interior and exterior design of Amaryllis was done by Reymond Langton Design Ltd.. The yacht has three sister-ships, C2, Eminence and Titan.
Phrases with Amaryllis
Phrases starting with the word Amaryllis:
- Amaryllis Alba
- Amaryllis Dubia
- Amaryllis Flava
- Amaryllis Jagus
- Amaryllis Longa
- Amaryllis Lutea
- Amaryllis Nivea
- Amaryllis Rosea
- Amaryllis Bifida
- Amaryllis Blanda
- Amaryllis Carnea
- Amaryllis Caspia
- Amaryllis Crispa
- amaryllis family
- Amaryllis Goiana
- Amaryllis Hallii
Phrases ending with the word Amaryllis:
View more phrases with the word Amaryllis in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amaryllis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Biology, Biology by Cram101 Textbook Reviews
Amaryllis: Amaryllis is a smallgenus offlowering bulbs, with two species. The betterknownof the two, Amaryllisbelladonna, is anative ofSouth Africa, particularly the rocky southwest region near the Cape. For many years there was confusion ...
The Young Botanist (1835)
Being a Treatise on the Science Prepared for the Use of Persons Just Commencing the Study of Plants by John Lee Comstock
Amaryllis is a most superb genus of the Lily tribe, containing a great number of species. The characters of the genus are, flower nodding, irregular funnel shaped and gaping, or ringent, filaments declinate, or falling down, stigma three lobed.
A Monograph of the Sub-Class Cirripedia, Volume II: The Balanidae (Part One) by Charles Darwin
amaryllis is a distinct and well-defined species, more nearly related to B. Hameri than to any other form. 34. BALANUS ALLIUM PLATE 7.
In Memoriam (2014)
by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Amaryllis is a stock name for a shepherdess in. 198 APPENDIX E: REVIEWS ...
by Y.P.S Bajaj
Amaryllis is a perennial bulbous plant that normally grows from October to March in the Southern Hemisphere, although the plants can be cultivated all year round in glasshouses (Oprel 1989). A plant usually produces three to six glossy ...
by Thomas MAWE (and ABERCROMBIE (John) Horticulturist.), John ABERCROMBIE (Horticulturist.)
The Jacobean Amaryllis is a flower of fuperior beauty, and fingularity of form. The flower-stalk obtains fifteen inches stature, crowned by the flower, there being only one, which is very large ; the colour a beautiful fcarlet, with crimson filaments, ...
or, a general Dictionary of Gardening and Botany by Thomas Mawe, John Abercrombie
The Jacobæan Amaryllis is a flower of fuperior beauty, and fingularity of form. The flower-ftalk obtains fifteen inches stature, crowned by the flower, there being only one, which is very large ; the colour a beautiful fcarlet, with crimfon filaments, ...
by John Wilkes (of Milland House, Sussex)
Amaryllis formofidima, or iacobæa lily : spathe undivided ; flower pcdieellcd ; corolla two-lipped, nodding, deeply six-parted; stamens and piflil bent down. The flower-stems of the jacobæa lily are produced from the sides of the bulbs, so that, ...
Flora's Dictionary (1837)
by Elizabeth Washington Wirt
Amaryllis, derived either from the name of a shepherdess mentioned hy Theocritus and Virgil, or from the Greek amaaohma, or amaal'oe, ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
Amaryllidaceae (amaryllis family). a family of perennial plants with bulbs, corms or rhizomes. Many contain toxic, usually emetic, alkaloids (e.g., lycorine). and some are toxic to livestock. The bulbous members of the family (e.g., daffodils, ...
by Philip Miller
Dwarf Amaryllis (A- pumitio, De Spin.) A greenhouse perennial, six inches high, from the Cape of Good Hope in 1774 : leaf line-like, channelled; sheath two-cleft, acute, longer than the tube of the corolla : flowers, in November, pink ; stamens ...
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
Zephyranthes (Amaryllis) Ata- masco Australian Giant. Doryanthes excelsa Australian Purple. The genus Patersonia Barbadoes. Hippeastrum equestre Belladonna. Amaryllis Belladonna Bengal. Crinum longifolium Bermuda. Lilium Harrisi (L.
by Robert Alan Lewis
amaryllis amblyopia The bulbous members of the family (e.g., daffodils, narcissus , spider lilies, snowdrops, and snowflakes) can be especially dangerous to small children who may mistake them for food. Ingestion may induce severe and ...
Amaryllis grandiflora, Amarillydes, the sukhdarsan, Pb., is alluded to by both Stewart and Baden Powell.
by Frances Tenenbaum
Amaryllis belladonna Amelanchier alnifolia Ammi majus Amelanchier laevis Amsonia tabernaemontana Anchusa capensis. soil. Give container-grown plants partial shade in summer and feed them weekly during the growing season.
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
Amaryllis Formosissima, or jacobxa ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amaryllis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amaryllis
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: akfoto
Photo credit: clbean
Photo credit: MoBarger
Photo credit: akfoto
Photo credit: Gail Frederick
Amaryllis plant leaves.
Photo credit: Arria Belli
Photo credit: Gunnar Wrobel
Photo credit: KathrynW1
On Nannie's deck
Photo credit: Ezra S F
Photo credit: KathrynW1
Photo credit: 陈霆, Ting Chen, Wing
An Amaryllis from a box.
Photo credit: mr.bologna
Photo credit: KitAy
Photo credit: Clearly Ambiguous
8 flowers on two stalks. See notes.
Photo credit: photofarmer
Photo credit: shaferlens
Photo credit: heyu1021
Closeup of a bright red amaryllis
Photo credit: rerod
Photo credit: picdrops
Photo credit: rejohnson71
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Amaryllis
Video shows what amaryllis means. The , , native to South Africa.. A similar lily in genus , such as , and cultivars.. amaryllis synonyms: naked lady, amarillo.
See also the pronunciation examples of Amaryllis!
Scrabble value of A1M3A1R1Y4L1L1I1S1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Amaryllis to find many related words and phrases!