On this page:
- Amba: In the Hindu epic Mahabharata, Amba is the eldest daughter of the king of Kashi, who considers the Kuru prince Bhishma responsible for her misfortune and her sole goal in life becomes his destruction. During her swayamvara, Bhishma abducts her with her sisters Ambika and Ambalika, seeking the princesses for his step brother Vichitravirya, the king of Hastinapur. Amba loves another king Salva, and is permitted to go to him. However, Salva rejects her as she is spoiled by her captor's touch. An infuriated Amba blames Bhishma for ruining her life. She seeks help of the sage Parashurama to defeat Bhishma, but he fails. From Bhisma, she goes to King Drupada, who also refuses to marry her. She hangs a garland on his palace gate as a reminder for revenge. Finally, she gets fed up with all men and turns to asceticism and pleases the god Shiva, who grants her the boon that she will slay Bhishma in her next birth. She kills herself to hasten the fulfillment of the boon. Amba takes birth as Drupad's daughter Shikhandini later known as Shikhandi, who becomes the cause of Bhishma's death.
- Amba a.k.a. Tom Middleton is a British recording artist, music producer, remixer and DJ.
- read more about Tom Middleton
- Amba is the sister of Ambika.
Amba is a record label.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 1974 film Jeevan Sangram..
- Amba is a fictional character from the 1965 film Kaajal.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 1991 film Idiot.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 1974 film Phir Kab Milogi.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 1989 film ChaalBaaz.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 1962 film Bhishma.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 2005 film Pak Pak Pakaak.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 2000 film The Dinosaur Hunter.
- Amba is a fictional character from the 2003 film Second Generation.
"Amba" is a 1990 Indian Bollywood film produced and directed by Mohan Kumar. It stars Anil Kapoor and Meenakshi Seshadri.
- country: India
- language: Hindi Language
- producer: Mohan Kumar
- Anil Kapoor as Suraj 'Sarju' B. Singh
- Meenakshi Seshadri as Lajjo
- Shabana Azmi as Amba Bhanupratap Singh
- Kiran Juneja as Prabha R. Singh
- Kanwaljit Singh as Rajendra 'Raja' B. Singh
- Rajan Sippy as Kunwar Ranvir J. Singh
- Sujit Kumar as Bhiku
- Satish Shah as Neelkanth
- Sudhir Pandey as Thakur Jasbir Singh
- Jaya Mathur as Geeta
- Yunus Parvez as Banne
- Mangal Dhillon as Thakur Shamsher Singh
- Upasana Singh as Munnibai
- Master Rajat Dubey as Rajat R. Singh
- cinematography by K. K. Mahajan
- music by Laxmikant–Pyarelal, Laxmikant Shantaram Kudalkar, Pyarelal Ramprasad Sharma
- genres: Family, Bollywood, World cinema
- released on (25 years ago)
"Amba" is a musical album of Wendo kolosoy.
- released on (15 years ago)
Amba is a tangy mango pickle condiment popular in Middle-Eastern cuisine particularly Iraqi and Israeli cuisines but also popular in India. Its name derives from the Sanskrit for mango.
- Amba: An amba is a characteristic geologic form in Ethiopia. It is a steep-sided, flat-topped mountain, often the site of villages, wells and their surrounding farmland. These settlements were located there because they were very defensible and often virtually inaccessible plateaus.
- ambA is a gene.
- Amba a.k.a. Amba Language: Amba is a language spoken in parts of Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo by the Amba people. The Amba people call it Kwamba and it is known as Kihumu in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Amba has a 70% lexical similarity with Bera. Dialects include Kyanzi and Suwa.
- read more about Amba Language
Phrases with Amba
- Dalla Amba
- Cepora Amba
- Neptis Amba
- Sinthusa Amba
- Telicota Amba
- Catasticta Amba
- Phytoseius Amba
- Dalla Grovius Amba
- Species Dalla Amba
- Neptis Sankara Amba
- Species Cepora Amba
- Species Neptis Amba
- Species Sinthusa Amba
- Species Catasticta Amba
- Species Phytoseius Amba
- Subspecies Dalla Grovius Amba
- Subspecies Neptis Sankara Amba
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amba
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Pediatric Critical Care (2011)
by Bradley P. Fuhrman, Jerry J. Zimmerman
AMBA is a cytotoxic plasma Ig that reacts immunologically with components of alveolar and glomerular basement membrane. Stress failure of pulmonary capillaries because of alteration of the alveolar and glomerular basement membrane ...
Food Journeys of a Lifetime (2009)
500 Extraordinary Places to Eat Around the Globe by National Geographic Society (U.S.)
- Amba is an Iraqisaucemade from ...
4th International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods, ICFEM 2002, Shanghai, China, October 21-25, 2002, Proceedings by Chris George, Huaikou Miao
However, mostly because AMBA is a synchronous bus, our asynchronous bus does not re- quire some of the control issues described in . On the other hand, we introduce several new control signals which are needed in asynchronous ...
by Moncure Daniel Conway
Amba means mango, in the dictionaries, and it seems that this curious myth of the vindictive woman turned man was of onomatopoetic origin : ambya, the yonng mango, is feminine ; am, the full-grown mango, is masculine. 1 From time to ...
Embedded Systems Handbook (2005)
by Richard Zurawski
AMBA is a bus standard which was originally conceived by ARM to support communication among ARM processor cores. However, nowadays AMBA is one of the leading on-chip busing systems because it is licensed and deployed for use ...
Great Soul of Siberia (2015)
Passion, Obsession, and One Man's Quest for the World's Most Elusive Tiger by Sooyong Park
Udege for “the strongest one,” Amba refers to the tiger who rules the Ussuri forest . The strongest of the strong is the Great King. The Sikhote-Alin, where the Great Kings live, has been home and spiritual stronghold for generations of native ...
by Jari Nurmi
AMBA is a typical multiplexer-based bus and it utilizes a central arbiter and decoder architecture. It has three versions for different transmission needs, namely the advanced high-performance (AHB), advanced system (ASB), and the advanced ...
Network Dictionary (2007)
by Javvin Www Networkdictionary Com, Jielin Dong
AMBA is a solution for the blocks to interface with each other. Advanced Mobile Phone System Service Wireless Advanced Mobile Phone System (AMPS) Service is the analog mobile phone system standard, introduced in the Americas during ...
The Mirror (1988)
Issue 1773, November 5 1988 by E.N.O Provencal
amba is a period very conducive to the mobilisation of the people for the implementation of projects like dams, schools, clinics etc. YENDI This is very important in our current socioeconomic and political transformation ...
by Ganga Ram Garg
Amba. The eldest of the three daughters of Indradyumna, king of Kas"l, the other daughters being Ambika and Ambalika. Amba is an ill-starred character in the Mahabharata. When the three daughters of the Kasiraja became of marriageable ...
by James Richardson
AMBA'KA, ».-:/. Excelled, exceeded, beaten. lay mety raha ambaka noho ny biby isika limy ny ntiavana zanaka. It is not right that we should be excelled by animals in the love of oti'spring. A'MBAKA, ,„(',. Of the same volume or bulk. (Prov.) ...
by Joachim Fromhold
Wagahehekeyabe Waganganti Wagenehonch Wagi Chibe Wagichibe Wagonagabeshmba Wahangega Wahatoube* Wahe Amba Wahe Amba Agayamni Wahe Amba ...
Amba, Mar.; Ambo, Guz. ; Am, dmb, dnv, Bundelkhand; M ad, mangos, mam-marum, Tam.; Elamdvi, mdmadi, mdmid, mdmidi, makandamu, guggu- mdmidi, tiyya mdmidi, racha mamidi, mdvi, mamadichitu, tiya mamidi, Tel. ; Mavina, ...
by Sir George Watt, Edgar Thurston, T. N. Mukharji
Papaya or papiya amba, pepiya, popaiyd or popaiyah. Hind. ; Arandkharbita or simply kharbuta (or Cas- tor-oil-melon), Pb. ; Popdi, Duk.; Papaya, Mar. and Cutch j Papai, Bomb.; Paputa, katka chibhado, SiND; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amba
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amba
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video language resources about Amba
Click on an item to play that video:
- Amba Meaning
Video shows what amba means. A tangy mango pickle used as a condiment in the Middle East.. Amba Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Goddess Amba Songs - Sri Amba pancharatnam With Its Meaning In English
For Unlimited Devotional Songs...
- Hardwell, Amba Shepherd, Porter Robinson - Apollo Language (Hardwell Clashup)
Contact & Support us for the FINEST & LATEST House Music !
See also the pronunciation examples of Amba!
Scrabble value of A1M3B3A1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMBA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amba!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Amba to find many related words and phrases!