On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Ambassis
What does Ambassis mean as a name of something?
Ambassis is a genus of Ambassidae, described by Cuvier in 1828.
- synonyms: genus Ambassis / Ambasis / genus Ambasis / Ambassus / genus Ambassus / Austrochanda / genus Austrochanda / Blandowskiella / genus Blandowskiella / Konopickia / genus Konopickia / Priopidichthys / genus Priopidichthys / Pseudoambassis / genus Pseudoambassis / Pseudoambassius / genus Pseudoambassius / Velambassis / genus Velambassis
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Chordata
- class: Actinopterygii
- order: Perciformes
- family: Ambassidae
- species Ambassis agassizii
- species Ambassis agrammus
- species Ambassis ambassis
- species Ambassis batjanensis
- species Ambassis brevipinnis
- species Ambassis buruensis
- species Ambassis buton
- species Ambassis dussumieri
- species Ambassis elongata
- species Ambassis flores
- species Ambassis fontoynonti
- species Ambassis gruendleri
- species Ambassis gymnocephalus
- species Ambassis interrupta
- species Ambassis jacksoniensis
- species Ambassis kopsii
- species Ambassis macleayi
- species Ambassis macracanthus
- species Ambassis marianus
- species Ambassis miops
- species Ambassis nalua
- species Ambassis natalensis
- species Ambassis thermalis
- species Ambassis urotaenia
- species Ambassis vachellii
- species Ambassis vaivasensis
- species Velambassis jacksoniensis
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Ambassis is a subgenus of Ambassis, described by Cuvier in Cuvier & Valenciennes in 1828.
Phrases with Ambassis
Phrases starting with the word Ambassis:
- Ambassis Alta
- Ambassis dayi
- Ambassis Lafa
- Ambassis Lala
- Ambassis Nama
- Ambassis buton
- Ambassis Gigas
- Ambassis Kopsi
- Ambassis Lungi
- Ambassis Malua
- Ambassis miops
- Ambassis Myops
- Ambassis nalua
- Ambassis Phula
- Ambassis Ranga
- Ambassis Bogoda
- Ambassis Indica
- Ambassis kopsii
Phrases ending with the word Ambassis:
View more phrases with the word Ambassis in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambassis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Ambassis is a cyclopsivorous fish. It helps in controlling guinea worm disease. Several fishes, like Osphronemus, Etroplus and Chanos, feed on weeds. These are used to control weeds in ponds etc. 7. For sports and recreation : Fish angling ...
The Supplement to the Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge: Habenaria-Zingiber (1846)
Ambassis is an Indian freshwater genus.
Ambassis is an Indian freshwater genus.
Ambassis, Commer. (Chanda, Hamilt. Buch.) Both the anterior and the posterior edges of the preopercular limb denticulated ; a recumbent spine pointing forward in front of the dorsal ; operculum ending in a point; distinguished from Apogon ...
The Panjábí Dictionary (1895)
by Maya Singh, Henry Martyn Clark
a fish of the perch family (Ambassis baculis) found in the district; c. to. karni, pherni, wdhuQt. KAljTGGf cfrgft s. /. (Potf The coulter of a plough (both the iron point and the piece of wood to ...
Encyclopaedia Americana (1831)
A popular dictionary of arts, sciences, literature, history, politics and biography, brought down to the present time; including a copious collection of original articles in American biography by Francis Lieber, Edward Wigglesworth, Thomas Gamaliel Bradford
Ambassis, Commers. Lucio-Perca, Cur. Sub-genera, 5. Subdivision If. Serranus, Cuv. Plectropoma, Cuv. Diacope, Cuv. Mesoprion, Cuv. Acerina, Cuv. Rypticus, Cuv. Polyprion, Cuv. Ceutropristis, Cuv. Gristes, Cub. Cirrhites, Commers.
by George Watt
1397; muckni (Ambassis), ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1842)
Or, Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature
Ambassis, fish, XII.
Ambassis (am-bas'is), n. [NL., erroneously for Ambasis, (Gr. audacic, poet. contr. form of avā8aac, ascent: see anabasis.] A genus of £ fishes, giving name to the family Am(1881ttate. ambassyt, n. An old form of embassy. ambe (am'bé), n.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1911)
& Ambassis + -idae.] A #" percoid fishes: synonymous with Bogodida. Ambassis (am-bas'is), n. [NL., erroneously for Ambasis, (Gr. Buffagic, poet. contr. form of avá8aouc, ascent: see anabasis.] ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambassis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ambassis
If you need images about Ambassis for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about Ambassis
Click on an item to play that video:
- Native Fish: North-west Glassfish (Ambassis sp.), Finniss River catchment, Northern Territory
This school of Northwest Glassfish (Ambassis sp) was filmed in a rainforest spring tributary of the Finniss River near Batchelor in the Northern Territory of ...
- Ambassis interrupta in the wild
Longspine glassfish, Ambassis interrupta was found in flowing freshwater stream near estuarine of one small river in North Sulawesi region.
Scrabble value of A1M3B3A1S1S1I1S1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Ambassis to find many related words and phrases!