The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun amber:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun amber
- Definition of the adjective amber
- Phrases with Amber
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amber
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amber
- Photos about Amber
- Videos about Amber
- Sign language
- Quotes about Amber
- Scrabble value of A1M3B3E1R1
- Anagrams of AMBER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amber
What does amber mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ambers
- a deep yellow color
- a hard yellowish to brownish translucent fossil resin; used for jewelry
Alternative definition of the noun amber
- A hard, generally yellow to brown translucent fossil resin, used for jewellery. One variety, blue amber, appears blue rather than yellow under direct sunlight.
- A brownish yellow colour.
- synonym: ambergris
- [British] The intermediate light in a set of three traffic lights, the illumination of which indicates that drivers should stop short of the intersection if it is safe to do so.
- [context: biology, genetics, biochemistry] The stop codon (nucleotide triplet) "UAG", or a mutant which has this stop codon at a premature place in its DNA sequence.
- [context: obsolete or historical] Ambergris, the waxy product of the sperm whale.
Definition of the adjective amber
What does amber mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more amber / most amber
- of a medium to dark brownish yellow color
- Amber: Amer, now a part of the Jaipur Municipal Corporation, was a city of the Rajasthan state, India. Founded by Meena Raja Alan Singh, Amer was a flourishing settlement dating as far back as 967 A.D. Around 1037 A.D., Amer was conquered by the Kachwaha clan of Rajputs. Much of the present structure known as Amer Fort is actually the palace built by the great conqueror Raja Man Singh who ruled from 1590 - 1614 A.D. The palace contains several spectacular buildings, such as the Diwan-i-Khas, and the elaborately painted Ganesh Poll built by the renowned warlord Mirza Raja Jai Singh I. The old and original fort of Amer, dating from earlier Rajas or the Meena period, is what is known in the present day as Jaigarh Fort, which was actually the main defensive structure rather than the palace itself. The two structures are interconnected by a series of encompassing fortifications.
- Amber is a town in Grady County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 419 at the 2010 census.
- Amber is The Landmark Mandarin Oriental's modern French restaurant in the Central District of Hong Kong. Richard Ekkebus is the executive chef.
- official website: www.mandarinoriental.com/landmark/dining/amber
- Amber is an unincorporated community in Spokane County, Washington, United States. The town, which has few residents, is located along Amber Lake. Amber is assigned the ZIP code 99004.
- Amber a.k.a. Amber, Iowa: Amber is an unincorporated community in Jones County, Iowa, United States. Amber is northeast of Anamosa, northwest of Center Junction, south of Monticello and north of Olin. Amber is located approximately in the center of Jones County.
- read more about Amber, Iowa
- Amber a.k.a. Amber Liu, better known mononymously as Amber, is a Taiwanese-American member of SM Entertainment's quintet pop girl group f. Aside from her rapping skills, she is also known as the girl with a boyish image, different from the usual sweet and girly image of other Korean girl groups.
- read more about Amber Liu
- Amber a.k.a. Amber Rayne is an American pornographic actress.
- read more about Amber Rayne
- Amber a.k.a. Maude Maggart is an American cabaret singer and recording artist who performs throughout the United States and Europe, but most often in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York City.
- read more about Maude Maggart
- Amber a.k.a. Amber Peach is a pornographic actress.
- read more about Amber Peach
- Amber a.k.a. Ambrosia Kelley is an actress.
- read more about Ambrosia Kelley (actress)
- Amber a.k.a. Zuzana Zeleznovova is a pornographic actress.
- read more about Zuzana Zeleznovova
- Amber: Marie-Claire "Amber" Cremers is a Dutch-born German singer, songwriter, label owner and executive producer. She is best known for her hits "This Is Your Night," "If You Could Read My Mind," and "Sexual.
- also known as Marie Claire Cremers, Marie-Claire Cremers
- born on (45 years ago) in Ubbergen
- nationality: United States of America, Netherlands, Germany
- profession: Singer, record producer, singer-songwriter
- member of musical group Stars on 54
- genres: House music, Pop rock, Hi-NRG, Adult contemporary music, Eurodance, Urban contemporary, Dance-pop, Electronica, Electronic dance music, Techno, Disco
- albums: "This Is Your Night", "Yes", "Naked", "My Kind of World", "Above the Clouds", "One More Night", "Sexual", "The Hits Remixed", "The Need to Be Naked", "Voodoo Remixes", "Just Like That", "Remixed", "Undanced II", "Do That to Me One More Time", "Amber"
- nomination: - nominated to ALMA Award for Outstanding Performance of a Song for a Feature Film - "54" (If You Could Read My Mind), with Jocelyn Enriquez & Ultra Naté
- official website: www.amber-mcc.com
- Amber a.k.a. Amber Atherton appeared in the 2011 film Chalet Girl.
- read more about Amber Atherton
- Amber is an actress.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Amber (actress)
- Amber was a British acoustic world music band.
- genre: World music
- Amber a.k.a. Ambehr is a musical group.
- read more about Ambehr
- Amber is a musical group.
- also known as Amber DK
- albums: "One Minute Love Affair", "Putting All the Pieces Together"
- official website: www.amber-band.com
- Amber is a German post-metal band.
- Amber is a musical group.
- album: "The Unrepeatable Now"
There are other groups with in their name, like Amber Run, Rare Amber, Amber Route, Amber Tears, Amber Asylum, Amber States, Amber Calling, Amber Pacific, Frantic Amber, Red Ran Amber, Amber Spyglass, The Amber Light, The Amber Electric and Inside the Amber Room.
- Amber is a server at the Italian resturant in the tourist trap of Port Angeles, Washington. She served Edward and Bella the night after Bella was attacked by several men and nearly raped while going back to her friends after trying to find a suitable bookstore. When she takes the order of Bella's mushroom ravioli and Coke, she seems to be paying more attention to Edward, obviously showing that the unaturally tall, blonde waitress told her about him. She is very warm and smiles alot, seeming to attempt in impressing the bronze haired vampire. In Meyer's draft of Midnight Sun, it is revealed she put her phone number next to the bill.
- Amber is a fictional character from the 2002 film Swept Away.
- Amber a.k.a. Joanna is a fictional character from the 2012 film Magic Mike.
- read more about Joanna
- Amber is a fictional character from the 2009 film He's Just Not That Into You.
- Amber is a fictional character from the 2007 film You Are Here.
- Amber is a fictional character from the 2014 film The Other Woman.
- Amber is a fictional character from Raising Helen.
- Amber is a fictional character from the 1998 film Holy Man.
- Amber is a fictional character from the 2012 film Excision.
- Amber is a fictional character in the 2012 drama film Cherry.
There are other characters with in their name, like Amber Lee, Amber Dawn, Amber Frey, Amber Hunt, Amber Allen, Amber Evans, Amber Gates, Amber Lewis, Amber Marks, Amber Moore, Amber Sweet, Amber Waves, Amber Thomas, Amber Kalirai, Amber Murdoch, Amber Stevens, Amber Richards, Amber Williams, Corwin of Amber and Merlin of Amber.
- "Amber" is a 1994 album by the British electronic music group Autechre released by Warp Records in 1994. Amber was Autechre's first album of new material as their previous work Incunabula was a compilation of older tracks.
- "Amber" is the third single from the band 311's 2001 album From Chaos. Focusing more on their reggae roots, the song is about Nick Hexum's then fiancee and then Eden's Crush member Nicole Scherzinger. Scherzinger appears briefly in the music video, playing in the ocean with Hexum. Although it is not one of the highest charting singles from 311 since it hit number 13 on the Modern Rock chart, it had more attention and popularity than any of their Top 10 singles on the chart, remains their longest lasting song on the Alternative Rock chart, and is their most popular single from the band due to its media usage and it is the only single by 311 to have a certification by the RIAA, achieving Gold status seeing this as the band's signature song.
- "Amber": Amber is Amber's second album, released in 1999 on Tommy Boy Records, featured an alluring array of soulful Dance-pop, Hi-NRG and House music song with a few Urban contemporary songs such as "Object of Desire." The song "Above the Clouds" was prominently featured on the final episode of Season Three of television series, "Sex and The City." So far, it is her most well-received album by the American Pop mainstream. This album allowed Amber to songwrite with top songwriters/producers Rick Nowels and Billy Steinberg on "Sexual," "Above the Clouds," and "Love One Another.
- "Amber" is the third album by indie rock group Clearlake, released on January 23rd 2006. The seventh track from the album "Finally Free", was featured on Eden Games' 2006 videogame release, Test Drive Unlimited. The song "No kind of Life" was appeared on the movie Awake.
- genre: Independent music
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Amber" is a collaborative album by Michael Jones and David Darling, released in 1987 through Narada Lotus.
- "Amber" is a musical single of Circulation.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Amber" is a musical single of Tyranny of Hours.
- released on (4 years ago)
- Amber is an Irish crime drama series created by Rob Cawley and Paul Duane and directed by Thaddeus O'Sullivan. The series stars Eva Birthistle and David Murray as parents of a young teenage girl who goes missing, Amber played by Lauryn Canny, it also stars Levi O'Sullivan as her younger brother. Amber was produced by Screenworks Ireland for RTÉ with funding from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. The series aired in Ireland on four consecutive nights on RTÉ One, however the series had aired in a number of countries prior to this. The series was produced in 2011.
- "Amber" is a 1952 action adventure drama thriller film written by Dwarka Khosla, Munshi Sagar Hussain, Arjun Dev Rashk, Bachoobhai Shukla, Urmila and directed by Jayant Desai.
- country: India
- language: Hindi Language
- producer: Seth Jagat Narain
- executive producer: Madan Lal Mehrotra
- art direction by G.J. More
- written by Munshi Sagar Hussain, Arjun Dev Rashk, Urmila Devi
- based on a story by Dwarka Khosla & Bachoobhai Shukla
- edited by Dharamvir
- music by Ghulam Mohammed
- costume design by Goomers, Ludmilla Primakof, Rebecca
- genres: Romance Film, Bollywood, Drama, Action Film, Adventure Film, Thriller
- released in (64 years ago)
- "Amber" a.k.a. "Ámbar" is a 1994 adventure, drama and mystery film written by Luis Estrada, Hugo Hiriart and Jaime Sampietro, and directed by Luis Estrada.
- read more about Ámbar
- Amber: The color amber is a pure chroma color, located on the color wheel midway between yellow and orange. The color-name is derived from the material also known as amber, which is commonly found in a range of yellow-orange-brown-red colors; likewise, as a color amber can refer to a range of yellow-orange colors. In English the first recorded use of the term as a color-name, rather than a reference to the specific substance, was in 1500.
- also known as 호박
- AMBER is a family of force fields for molecular dynamics of biomolecules originally developed by Peter Kollman's group at the University of California, San Francisco. AMBER is also the name for the molecular dynamics software package that simulates these force fields. It is maintained by an active collaboration between David Case at Rutgers University, Tom Cheatham at the University of Utah, Tom Darden at NIEHS, Ken Merz at Michigan State University, Carlos Simmerling at Stony Brook University, Ray Luo at UC Irvine, and Junmei Wang at Encysive Pharmaceuticals.
- also known as AMBER力场
- AMBER is the acronym of AMerican Bridge for the Excellence in Research with Europe. This project started on 1 January 2013, and will finish at the end of 2014.
- also known as American Bridge for the Excellence in Research
- official website: www.euraxessamber.eu
- The Amber processor core is an open-source ARM-compatible 32-bit RISC processor. It is hosted on the OpenCores website and is part of a movement to develop a library of open source hardware intellectual property. The Amber core is fully compatible with the ARMv2 instruction set and is therefore supported by the GNU toolchain. This older version of the ARM instruction set is supported because it is not covered by patents so can be implemented without a license from ARM Holdings, unlike some previous open source projects. The Amber project provides a complete embedded FPGA system incorporating the Amber core and a number of peripherals, including UARTs, timers and an Ethernet MAC.
- official website: opencores.org/project,amber
- Amber a.k.a. Waigeo Language: Waigeo, also known as Ambel, is a heavily Papuan-influenced Austronesian language spoken in West Papua on the island of Waigeo, Raja Ampat islands.
- read more about Waigeo Language
- Amber is the three telescope near-infrared instrument of the VLTI. It is at the source of a considerable number of publications in the field of optical long-baseline interferometry.
Phrases with Amber
Phrases starting with the word Amber:
- amber lily
- AMBER Alert
- Amber Fluid
- Amber Glass
- Amber Heart
- amber light
- Amber Darter
- Amber Elimia
- Amber Lacuna
- Amber Nectar
- Amber Gambler
- Amber Penshell
- Amber Chameleon
- Amber Supercoil
Phrases ending with the word Amber:
View more phrases with the word Amber in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amber
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Psychoactive Substances for Use in Sexual Practices by Christian Rätsch, Claudia Müller-Ebeling
prescribed a mixture of amber, opium, saffron, and Illyrian iris (cf. iris) for colic (Müller-Jahncke 1996: 457 ). With modification of quantity and dosage, this recipe also makes an effective ...
by Michael R. Peres
Dashed line, photographic papers; solid line, 3200K lamp; broken line, amber safelight. (b) Variable contrast black and white paper spectral sensitivity with subtractive filters. Dashed line, variable contrast paper; broken line, light amber ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
Amber, attractive quality of. The most remarkable quality of this substance is, that when rubbed, it attracts other bodies ; (§ t .) and this, it is observed, it does, even to those substances which the ancients thought it had an antipathy to; as oily ...
by Claire M. Renzetti, Jeffrey L. Edleson
The AMBER Alert program is an emergency response system established to enable the public to aid in the search for children who are believed to have been abducted and to be in imminent danger. Following the 1996 abduction and murder ...
A - Ana
Amber. Secretary of Legation 500...
AMBER. Bernstein, Germ. ; Succin, carabc, ambre jaune,Yr.; Eleclrum, succinum, Lat ; Yellow mineral resin, Haidinger. This substance has been in ...
Old World and New World Traditions by Gabrielle Hatfield
Amber This is the translucent golden resin obtained from coniferous trees now largely ex- tinct.
by Mohsen Manutchehr-Danai
Amber is warm to the touch, light in weight and induce electricity, when rubbed. Sometimes contains embedded remains of some extinct insects, plants or other organic or inorganic material from prehistoric times and stress marks, which ...
by Gerald W. R. Ward
Amber has been found in 20 states in the USA, frequently associated with coal beds; New Jersey amber is c. 100 million years old. Mexican amber occurs in calcareous sandstones and siltstones and in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amber
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amber
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: michaeljblow
An early pencil drawing.
Photo credit: Art by MarkAC
Photo credit: goldberg
Photo credit: lifeasme40
Photo credit: Caomai
Photo credit: SteveBrand
Photo credit: contraption
Photo credit: uduokkamah
Photo credit: xlordashx
Photo credit: mauranverniers
Bound-angle pose (baddha konasana).
Name variant: cobbler's pose.
Photo credit: Nicholas_T
Close-up of a surface of an Amber.
Photo credit: Ervins Strauhmanis
View Large or Original
Model: Amber Gauthier...
Photo credit: Dance Photographer - Brendan Lally
- Amber earring
Photo credit: James E. Petts
- Amber Snail
Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, Washington, DC, USA.
Photo credit: treegrow
- Amber Fort
Photo credit: john/john1
- Amber stones
A few pieces of amber collected in western Washington, USA.
Photo credit: dierken
- Amber Fort
Photo credit: Paul and Jill
- Amber Fort
detail of following photograph
Photo credit: Paul and Jill
- Amber palace
Photo credit: Muleonor
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Amber
Click on an item to play that video:
- Amber meaning and pronunciation
An exceptionally attractive pale young woman with beautiful freckles and a divine rack. She is hot beyond this world and is also a fantastic lover. Amber ...
- Amber Meaning
Video shows what amber means. Ambergris, the waxy product of the sperm whale.. A hard, generally yellow to brown translucent fossil resin, used for jewellery.
- Amber Vocabulary
- Met Office Amber Weather Warning - An explanation
Tristan Hunkin gives an explanation about the different weather warnings issued from the Met Office. In this video, he explains what an Amber Weather Warning ...
- Amber Meaning
Video shows what Amber means. , popular in the 1980s and the 1990s.. of uncertain origin.. Amber Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Amber Rose & Eva Marcille on their meaning of #SisterCode
SisterCode starring Amber Rose, Eva Marcille and Drew Sidora coming to theathers EVERYWHERE May 8!!!
- Amber Lomax - Rolls-Royce Product Definition Engineer (Combustion & Casings)
- Science Vocabulary- LIVE! With Amber Pritchett
- Amber Barnes - Voice: Word Choice Conveys Meaning - LEaRN DVD6 SS1
- Huskisson's Vocabulary Project - Amber and Ansel
- Definition of Success, Amber Weinberg (3 of 6)
- Norvell Amber Sun 4 Faces Product Description
Owner of SprayChic Airbrush Tanning discusses a common response from airbrush tanning clients regarding the face fading quickly. Popular sunless tanning ...
- Belle Multi-language audition for Amber Basti (English)
- Amber (Blue Blocker) Lens Description
You can get your glasses at this link...
- Amber Dinges ESL demonstration
ESL Theories and present perfect ESL demonstration.
- Learn a new language with Amber: Introduction
- Language Challenge by guysanddolls (Amber and Lewis)
- Amber Makua COMM 111 Importance of the Tlingit Language
- "Sofia The First: Once Upon A Princess"~Character Description Amber and James~
- Amber Language Exposition 2014
Grade 2 amber singing this world is filled with love.
- Elmo teaching Amber another language
See also the pronunciation examples of Amber!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Amber Satterfield and Taylor Short American Sign Language Presentation 09-19-13
- Baby sign language - Amber signs "more cheese please".
Amber is signing politely "more cheese please".
- Baby Sign Language - Amber Signs the word Dog
Amber at 10 months old is signing the word dog. At 10 months Amber is signing 5 words (and counting).
- Amber singing rudogh reindeer in sign language
- Amber was 8 month old - sign language (ASL) - grandfather
Quotes about Amber
Delight becomes pictorial
When viewed through pain,--
More fair, because impossible
That any gain.
The mountaln at a given distance
In amber lies;
Approached, the amber flits a little,--
And that's the skies! (Emily Dickinson)
more quotes about amber...
Scrabble value of A1M3B3E1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMBER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amber!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amber to see it in context!