On this page:
Definition of the noun amboyna pine
What does amboyna pine mean as a name of something?
- native to the Moluccas and Philippines; a source of dammar resin
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Agathis alba / Abies dammara / species Abies dammara / species Agathis alba / Agathis celebica / species Agathis celebica / Agathis loranthifolia / species Agathis loranthifolia / Agathis orientalis / species Agathis orientalis / Agathis philippensis / species Agathis philippensis / Agathis philippinensis / species Agathis philippinensis / Agathis pinus-dammara / species Agathis pinus-dammara / Agathis regia / species Agathis regia / Dammara alba / species Dammara alba / Dammara alba celebica / variety Dammara alba celebica / Dammara celebica / species Dammara celebica / Dammara loranthifolia / species Dammara loranthifolia / Dammara orientalis / species Dammara orientalis / Dammara orientalis alba / variety Dammara orientalis alba / Dammara orientalis pallens / variety Dammara orientalis pallens / Dammara rumphii / species Dammara rumphii / Pinus dammara / species Pinus dammara / Agathis dammara
- synonym of amboyna pine: amboina pine
- more generic terms: dammar pine / kauri pine = any of various trees of the genus Agathis
- geographic area: Southern Asia
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amboyna Pine
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
a kind of pine which yieldspitch, and is muchused inAmerica as fuel; Pitch′ plas′ter,a plaster ofBurgundy orwhitepitch; Pitch′stone, an old volcaniclike hardenedpitch; Pitch′tree, the kauripine, the Amboyna pine, or the Norway spruce.
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
Amboyna Pine, Dammar Pine ovata. New Caledonia Kauri Pine ...
A dictionary of science, literature and art, ed. by W.T. Brande assisted by J. Cauvin. ed. by W.T. Brande and G.W. Cox.3 vols (1866)
by William Thomas Brande
Thus Amboyna Pine is Dammara orientalis, Chili Pine is Araucaria imbricata, and Huon Pine is Dacrydium Franklinii, while the Ground Pine is Ajuga Chamaspitys, and the Screw Pine is Pandanus. Pine Apple. [Ananas.] Pine Wool. The fibre ...
Comprising the Definitions and Derivations of the Scientific Terms in General Use, Together with the History and Descriptions of the Scientific Principles of Nearly Every Branch of Human Knowledge by William Thomas Brande, George William Cox
orientalis, the Amboyna Pine, yields the fine transparent resin called | Dammar . Several of the species furnish valuable timber. They have broad leathery leaves and great oblong cones. IDamourite. A species of Mica, found at Pontivy in ...
Amboyna pine, Agathis (Dammara, orientalis. Also called dammar-pine. See Dammara.-- Austrian pine, a rather tall tree, Pinus migricans, of Austria, etc., having long dark glossy foliage, and resinous wood of moderate worth. Also called black ...
by Thomas Davidson
a kind of pine which yields pitch, and is much used in America as fuel ; Pitch' - plas'ter, a plaster of Burgundy or white pitch ; Pitch stone, an old volcanic-like hardened pitch; Pltch'-tree, the kauri pine, the Amboyna pine, or the Norway spruce.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amboyna Pine
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Amboyna Pine to find many related words and phrases!