On this page:
Definition of the noun ambystomid
What does ambystomid mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- small to moderate-sized terrestrial or semiaquatic New World salamander
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of ambystomid: ambystomid salamander
- more generic word: salamander = any of various typically terrestrial amphibians that resemble lizards and that return to water only to breed
- more specific terms:
- Ambystoma talpoideum / mole salamander = brownish-black burrowing salamander of southeastern United States
- Ambystoma maculatum / spotted salamander = glossy black North American salamander with yellow spots
- Ambystoma tigrinum / tiger salamander = widely distributed brown or black North American salamander with vertical yellowish blotches
- Ambystoma mexicanum / mud puppy / axolotl = larval salamander of mountain lakes of Mexico that usually lives without metamorphosing
- waterdog = any of several large aquatic salamanders
- member of: Ambystoma / genus Ambystoma = type genus of the Ambystomatidae
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Ambystomid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Paul A. Tenkotte, James C. Claypool
Ambystomid salamanders are uncommon except locally. Frogs, especially bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana) and green frogs (R. clamitans), are commonly found; however, there appears to be a decline in the leopard frog (R. pipiens) numbers.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambystomid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1M3B3Y4S1T1O1M3I1D2
The value of this 10-letter word is 20 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Ambystomid to find many related words and phrases!