On this page:
Definition of the noun american agave
What does american agave mean as a name of something?
- widely cultivated American monocarpic plant with greenish-white flowers on a tall stalk; blooms only after ten to twenty years and then dies
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Agave rasconensis / species Agave rasconensis / Agave spectabilis / species Agave spectabilis / Aloe americana / species Aloe americana / Agave americana
- more generic terms: agave / American aloe / century plant = tropical American plants with basal rosettes of fibrous sword-shaped leaves and flowers in tall spikes
- member of: genus Agave = type genus of the Agavaceae
- geographic area: Caribbean, North America, Oceania
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American agave
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by H. V. SWERINGEN
It is called also Maguey, American Agave, &c., &c. AGAv E PU LQUE. A species of Agave which yields a very bitter, viscid, and astringent juice. AGAv E VIRGIN1cA. A species of Agave growing in South Carolina, and called rattlesnake's master ...
by Thomas MAWE (and ABERCROMBIE (John) Horticulturist.), John ABERCROMBIE (Horticulturist.)
Common great American Agave. ] Agave with large , widely indented leaves, all the denticles ending in a fharp fpine, and branching flower stem. Karieties. J Common American Agave with gold striped leaves. – Common American Agave with ...
comprehending all the modern improvements in the art ... with correct engravings ... from original drawings by Sydenham Edwards by Alexander MACDONALD (pseud. [i.e. R. W. Dickson.])
Americana, Great American Agave ; 2. A. P. irginica, Great Virginian Agave ; 3. A. vivipara, Viviparous or Childing Agave ; 4. A. jortion, Fetid Agave ; 5. A. lurida, Broad-leaved Vera Cruz Agave ;6. A. tuberosa, Tuberous-rooted Agave.
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
English: agave, American agave, American aloe, century plant Brazil: piteira, caraguatu-acu, caraota-ac.u, gravata-acu Bolivia: ...
A Guide for the Pharmaceutist, Druggist, and Physician ; Containing Concise Explanations of the Various Subjects and Terms of Pharmacy, and Appropriate Selections of the Collateral Sciences by Hiram V. Sweringen
It is called also Maguey, American Agave, &c., &c. AGAVK PULQUE. A species of Agave which yields a very bitter, viscid, and astringent juice. AGAVE VIRGINICA. A species of Agave growing in South Carolina, and called rattlesnake's master.
The gardeners dictionary (1835)
by Philip Miller
— The common American agave (or great American ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American agave
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American agave
If you need images about American agave for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of American agave to see it in context!