On this page:
Definition of the noun american barberry
What does american barberry mean as a name of something?
- deciduous shrub of eastern North America whose leaves turn scarlet in autumn and having racemes of yellow flowers followed by ellipsoid glossy red berries
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Berberis brevifolia / species Berberis brevifolia / Berberis canadensis / species Berberis canadensis / Berberis caroliniana / species Berberis caroliniana / Berberis caroliniana macrocarpa / variety Berberis caroliniana macrocarpa / Berberis fischeri / species Berberis fischeri / Berberis integerrima / species Berberis integerrima / Berberis macracantha / species Berberis macracantha / Berberis macrocarpa / species Berberis macrocarpa / Berberis macrotheca / species Berberis macrotheca / Berberis microphylla / species Berberis microphylla / Berberis nitens / species Berberis nitens / Berberis pisifera / species Berberis pisifera / Berberis serrulata / species Berberis serrulata / Berberis sinensis canadensis / form Berberis sinensis canadensis / variety Berberis sinensis canadensis / Berberis vulgaris canadensis / variety Berberis vulgaris canadensis
- more generic word: barberry = any of numerous plants of the genus Berberis having prickly stems and yellow flowers followed by small red berries
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American barberry
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
American Barberry cratœgina. Hawthorn- Barberry cretica. Box-leaved Barberry Darwini. Darwin's Barberry dealbata (B. glauca). White-leaved Barberry duleis. Edible-fruited Barberry emarginata. Notch-petalled Barberry empetrifolia. Fuegian ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (5 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
in English: American barberry Berberis ceratophylla G. Don India, Nepal. See A General History of the Dichlamydeous Plants 1: 115. 1831 (Stem bark antibacterial, used for ...
by Douglas M. Considine
The American barberry (Berberis canadensis) ranges from Virginia southward through the Alleghany Mountains into Georgia and Missouri. The common barberry of Europe (B. vulgaris) was introduced into the United States many years ago as ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
The American barberry (Berberis canadensis) ranges from Virginia southward through the Allegheny Mountains into Georgia and Missouri. The common barberry of Europe (B. vulgaris) was introduced into the United States many years ago as ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American barberry
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American barberry
If you need images about American barberry for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American barberry to find many related words and phrases!