On this page:
Definition of the noun american cress
What does american cress mean as a name of something?
- of southwestern Europe; cultivated in Florida
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Barbarea praecox / Barbarea australis / species Barbarea australis / Barbarea brevistyla / species Barbarea brevistyla / Barbarea erysimoides / species Barbarea erysimoides / Barbarea longisiliqua / species Barbarea longisiliqua / Barbarea patula / species Barbarea patula / species Barbarea praecox / Campe praecox / species Campe praecox / Campe verna / species Campe verna / Crucifera praecox / species Crucifera praecox / Erysimum praecox / species Erysimum praecox / Erysimum tenuifolium / species Erysimum tenuifolium / Erysimum vernum / species Erysimum vernum / Barbarea verna
- synonyms of American cress: American watercress / Belle Isle cress / early winter cress / land cress
- more generic terms: scurvy grass / St. Barbara's herb / winter cress = any plant of the genus Barbarea: yellow-flowered Eurasian cresses
- part of: Barbarea / genus Barbarea = biennial or perennial herbs of north temperate regions: winter cress
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American cress
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Rodney Dale
amendoim americainc a 1ft American cheddar American cherry American crab appk American cress American frosting American mysost American partridge American quail American sage American woodcock aminc-acid amiral ammocete ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
English: American cress, early winter cress, scurvy grass, land cress, belle isle cress, ...
by James Britten, Robert Holland
American Cress, Bank Cress, Belleisle Cress, Cress ( Land). BARBAREA VULGARIS, Br. Barbara's Herb (St), Cassabully, Cress ( French or Winter, St. Barbara's), Rocket (Winter), Wound Rocket, Yellow Rocket.
by Carole J. Skelly
AMERICAN CRESS: See ROCKET. AMERICAN DITTANY: SeeDITTANY, COMMON. AMERICAN ELDER:See ELDER. AMERICAN FOXGLOVE: SeeFOXGLOVE and FEVERWEED. AMERICAN GINSENG: See GINSENG.
Comprising the Theory and Practice of Horticulture, Floriculture, Arboriculture, and Landscape-gardening, Including All the Latest Improvements, a General History of Gardening in All Countries, and a Statistical View of Its Present State, with Suggestions for Its Future Progress in the British Isles by John Claudius Loudon
GARDEN-CRESS, AMERICAN CRESS. 661 and flowers in March. Gerrard tells us, that foreigners using it while in England, led to its being cultivated in our gardens. 4033. Use. It is used in salads through winter and early spring; both ...
An Encyclopaedia of Gardening, Comprising the Theory and Practice of Horticulture, Floriculture, Arboriculture and Landscape-gardening, Including... a General History of Gardening in All Countries (1822)
by John Claudius Loudon
American Cress. — Erysimum pracox, Smith. (Eng. Bol. t. 1129.); Tetra. Siliq.
A Whole Library of Subjects Useful to Every Individual ... by Thomas Webster, Mrs. William Parkes
American cress (Barbarca præcoz ).
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1832)
The American Cress, (Erysimum fracor, Smith; Tetradynamia Siliquosa ; Crucifera , Juss.), although its name might lead us to expect a transatlantic origin, is a native plant of this country. It was formerly considered as a variety of the common ...
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
American Cress, Bank Cress, Belleisle Cress, Land Cress, Normandy Cress, Winter Cress, Yellow Cress, Yellow Bocket pnecox variegata. Variegated Winter Cress vulgaris. Common Winter Cress, St. Barbara's Herb, Winter or Yellow Rocket ...
American Cress: Barbarea CreSSet (2) Australian Cress: A variety of the Common Garden Cress. It is called also the Golden Cress (q.v.). (3) Bank Cress: [ So called from its growing on hedge banks.] Sisymbrium officinale. # Bastard Cress: ...
by Patrick NEILL
American Cress. 382. The American Cres, (Erysimum prwcoar, Smith; Tetradynamia Siliquosa ; Cruci/erer, Juss.), although its name might lead us to expect a transatlantic origin, is a native plant of this country. It was formerly considered as a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American cress
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American cress to find many related words and phrases!