American dog tick
On this page:
Definition of the noun american dog tick
What does american dog tick mean as a name of something?
- common tick that can transmit Rocky Mountain spotted fever and tularemia
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Dermacentor variabilis / species Dermacentor variabilis / Dermacentor electus / species Dermacentor electus / Dermacentor variabilis variabilis / infraspecific_name Dermacentor variabilis variabilis / Dermacentor venustus / species Dermacentor venustus / Ixodes albipictus / species Ixodes albipictus / Ixodes bovis / species Ixodes bovis / Ixodes punctulatus / species Ixodes punctulatus / Ixodes quinquestriatus / species Ixodes quinquestriatus / Ixodes robertsoni / species Ixodes robertsoni / Ixodes robertsonii / species Ixodes robertsonii / Ixodes variabilis / species Ixodes variabilis
- synonym of American dog tick: wood tick
- more generic terms: hard tick / ixodid = ticks having a hard shield on the back and mouth parts that project from the head
- member of: Dermacentor / genus Dermacentor = vectors of important diseases of man and animals
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American dog tick
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Charles Below
The American dog tick is the vector of the Eastern type of Rocky Mountain spotted fever. It is also an important carrier of Tularemia and Bovine Anaplasmosis. It may also cause canine paralysis. Control: Household - Spray: 2 - 3% chlordane or ...
by Virginia P. Studdert, Clive C. Gay, Douglas C. Blood
varies with the country; includes American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis); Australiandog tick (Ixodes holocyclus );British dog tick (Ixodes canisuga); brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) ...
Encyclopedia of Microbiology (2009)
Figure 4 Dermacentor variabilis adults (the American dog tick), male (left) and female (right), nonengorged, implicated in the transmission of Rickettsia rickettsii collected in Lawrence country, OH, USA. transovarial transmission, confirmed ...
Illustrated Dictionary and Resource Directory of Environmental and Occupational Health, Second Edition (2016)
by Herman Koren
Dermacentor variabilis (American dog tick) Amblyomma americanum (Lone Star tick) Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (most common vectors) ronnel ...
by Vladimir V. Gouli, Svetlana Y. Gouli, Jose A.P. Marcelino
Amblyomma americanum; rocky mountain wood tick, Dermacentor andersoni; American dog tick, D. variabilis; blacklegged or deer tick, Ixodes scapularius) and insects (e.g., June and May beetles, Phyllophaga spp.; oriental beetle, Anomala ...
by Heinz Mehlhorn, Horst Aspöck
variabilis, the American dog tick, which paralyzes dogs.
by Robert Alan Lewis
American dog tick. Dermacentor vatriabilis. American Farm Bureau Federation ( AFBF). founded in 1920, it promotes the interests of farmers, especially by helping to secure state and national legislation. larvae, caused by Bacillus larvae , ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American dog tick
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American dog tick
Click on an item to view that photo:
- American Dog Tick
How much do you know about ticks? Take this short quiz and learn how to protect yourself and your family this summer...
Photo credit: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Midwest Region
- American Dog Tick (Dermacentor variabilis)
These are probably the least harmful of the ticks in Northern Virginia. They like tall grasses which they instinctualy climb. They sense hosts by detecting CO2 with chemo-receptors located in their pedi-palps called a Haller's organ.
Photo credit: Twiztedminds
- American dog tick female
The American dog tick (female shown) is commonly found in states east of the Rocky Mountains and also along the Pacific Coast.
Photo credit: KSRE Photo
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of American dog tick to see it in context!