On this page:
- Definition of the noun american english
- Definition of the adjective american english
- Phrases with American English
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American English
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American English
- Photos about American English
- Video language resources about American English
- Quotes about American English
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun american english
What does american english mean as a name of something?
- the English language as used in the United States
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of American English: American / American language
- more generic terms: English / English language = an Indo-European language belonging to the West Germanic branch
- more specific terms: African American Vernacular English / African American English / Black English Vernacular / Black Vernacular English / Black Vernacular / Black English / Ebonics / AAVE = a nonstandard form of American English characteristically spoken by African Americans in the United States
Definition of the adjective american english
What does american english mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Of or relating to, or spoken or written in American English.
American English is a musical group.
- albums: "American English Live!", "1971 What If..."
- "American English" a.k.a. "American/English" is Acoustic Alchemy's fourth album release on the Higher Octave Music label, and contains eleven tracks, making it also their shortest album with the label to date.
- genre: Smooth jazz
- released in (11 years ago)
- "American English" is a 1987 album by Wax, and includes their hit single "Bridge to Your Heart". The album cover, designed by Storm Thorgerson, shows objects that all refer to wax.
- released in (29 years ago)
- "American English" is a song by Scottish rock band Idlewild, from their 2002 album The Remote Part. It was released as the second single from the album in June 2002 and charted at #15 in the UK Singles Chart. It features piano performed by sometime band member Jeremy Mills.
- "American English" is a musical single of Idlewild.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "American English" is a book by Mabel Goddard.
- "American English" is a book by Gilbert Milligan Tucker.
- "American English" is a book by F. J. J. Peters.
- also known as "American English: a handbook and sociolinguistic perspective"
American English is a set of dialects of the English language used mostly in the United States. Approximately two-thirds of the world's native speakers of English live in the United States. The predominant accent of American English that is most free from regional, ethnic, or cultural distinctions is the accent known as General American.
- also known as อังกฤษอเมริกัน, 美国英语
Phrases with American English
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American English
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Richard Spears, Betty Birner, Steven Kleinedler
NTC's Dictionary EVERYDAY AMERICAN ENGLISH EXPRESSIONS Presented According to Topic and Situation Richard A. Spears, Betty Bimer, and Steven Kleinedler The Most cticalGuide to Common English Expressions NTC's Dictionary ...
Heinemann English Dictionary (2001)
by Martin Manser
To answer this question, we have only to look at the differences between modern American English and modern British English. In the space of three of four centuries, they have grown apart so that although we can still understand each other, ...
by Michael Pearce
American English favours -ize over -ise (generalize, subsidize), although -ise is losing out to -ize in British spelling. It also prefers -er to -re in words like theatre, center and meager, and -se over -ce in words such as offense and defense.
by Jessie Carney Smith
See Social Activists Actors and Performers Adams, Yolanda Adoptions Aerosol Art Affirmative Action Africa and the African Diaspora African American English. See Black English African Americans ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American English
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American English
If you need images about American English for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about American English
Click on an item to play that video:
- How to Increase your Vocabulary -- American English Pronunciation
- British English vs American English -- Car & Road Vocabulary -- English Lesson
British English vs American English -- Car & Road Vocabulary -- English Lesson Here are some of the main differences in vocabulary related to car and roads ...
- British & American English: Food Vocabulary
- British & American English: Cars & Driving Vocabulary
- American English SLANG ABBREVIATIONS
The most common ABBREVIATIONS in American SLANG.
- American English Slang (March 1st)
- Spoken American English Slang - Lesson 19 - Ways to use Chill
Learn to speak English like an American by using the words they actually use in conversation ...
- British English vs American English vocabulary review
This video reviews common English language vocabulary that is different in American English and British English.
- British English vs. American English Vocabulary Words
- Common American English Slang - Lesson 15 - Going to Sleep
Common American Slang used by natives to describe going to sleep.
- Improve Spoken American English Slang, Phone Conversation
- The Backyard - American English Vocabulary Lesson
- English Clothes Vocabulary | British & American English
Learn some common clothing items in English. This short vocabulary lesson will teach you 10 new English words, all to do with clothes. Each word is clearly ...
- How to Pronounce ON TOP OF THE WORLD - IDIOM - American English
Link to Kaplan's BLOG...
- Come to Find Out - Learn a Fun American English Idiom
Learn fun American English idiom -- watch now! Watch this video next...
- Using the American Slang words Cool and Awesome | American English University
- Learn American English - ESL - Vocabulary and Phrases - Lesson 4 | Black and White
Learn English Idioms and phrases that American native speakers actually use!
- American English Slang - Lesson 13 - Being Open
Learn American English slang that you would never find in the dictionary.
- A Lesson Learned - Use this Common American English Idiom and Speak Fluently like a Native
Find out how to use "A lesson learned" in a proper way Watch this video next...
- Idiom: Ripped Off -- American English Pronunciation
- American English Pronunciation Dictionary
American English Pronunciation Dictionary.
- Dictionary for you : " American English Pronunciation Dictionary"
american english; english; dictionary; pronunciation; american; listening, reading american english, american english pronunciation, american english ...
- The Rapidly Changing Language of American English
Classic Interview: William Labov, Professor of Linguistics at University of Pennsylvania and author of Dialect Diversity in America, joins David to discuss the ...
- American English Language Differences
The same language..but different.
- How to Pronounce -ed verb endings: American English Pronunciation
ESL: How to Pronounce -ed Verb endings (past tense regular verb endings) in American English. Improve your American Accent / spoken English at Rachel's ...
- Musical Language: American English Pronunciation
See more on this at...
- Got to Know - Understand a Common Phrasal Verb in American English
Discover the phrasal verb "got to know" -- watch now! Watch this video next...
- Get as a Phrasal Verb - Learn Fluent American English
Learn how to use GET as a phrasal verb! Watch this video next...
- To Know OF - Phrasal Verb Explained in American English - Learn to Speak like a Native
Learn how to use the phrasal verb "to know of" properly. Watch this video next...
- American English ESL contraction verb BE in the present, future and pres. perfect #34
American English ESL contraction verb BE in the present, future and pres. perfect #34...
See also the pronunciation examples of American English!
Quotes about American English
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'American English"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of American English to see it in context!