American football game
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun american football game
What does american football game mean as a name of something?
- a game played by two teams of 11 players on a rectangular field 100 yards long; teams try to get possession of the ball and advance it across the opponents goal line in a series of (running or passing) plays
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of American football game: American football
- more generic terms: football / football game = any of various games played with a ball (round or oval) in which two teams try to kick or carry or propel the ball into each other's goal
- more specific term: touch football = a version of American football in which the ball carrier is touched rather than tackled
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American football game
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James Stuart Olson, Robert Shadle
The American football game passed into Canada while the British rugby game quickly took root in the British Commonwealth* territories, especially in New Zealand and in Australia.* South Africa followed more slowly, partly for political ...
by John Grasso
An American football game between two Native American schools, the Haskell Institute and Carlisle Indian Industrial School, won by Carlisle, 38—4, was also held in St. Louis on 27 November. This can be looked at as a demonstration event, ...
The Kentucky Encyclopedia (2015)
by John E. Kleber
Played by rules established during the first American football game, the Princeton -Rutgers game of 1869, the Centre-Transylvania match was organized by an inventive Kentucky University student named Thurgood, from Australia.
by David John Cole, Eve Browning, Fred E. H. Schroeder
It is believed that this was largely due to the longer, if lower-quality, recording time that VHS permitted — and, in particular, sufficient time to record a complete American football game. VIDEO DISCS AND DVDs In 1972, Philips, having earlier ...
Oxford Dictionary of English (2010)
by Angus Stevenson
2an American football game played after the regular season between leadVing teams. – derivatives bowlful noun (pl. bowlfuls). – origin Old English bolle, bolla, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch bol 'round object', also to BOLL. bowl2 7noun ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American football game
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American football game
Click on an item to view that photo:
Band performing at tailgate before American football game
Photo credit: University of Exeter
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American football game to find many related words and phrases!