On this page:
Definition of the noun american gentian
What does american gentian mean as a name of something?
- any of various tall perennial herbs constituting the genus Frasera; widely distributed in warm dry upland areas of California, Oregon, and Washington
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonyms of American gentian: American columbo / columbo / deer's-ear / deer's-ears / pyramid plant
- more generic terms: herb / herbaceous plant = a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties
- member of: Frasera / genus Frasera = genus of North American herbs: columbo
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American gentian
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Guide for the Pharmaceutist, Druggist, and Physician ; Containing Concise Explanations of the Various Subjects and Terms of Pharmacy, and Appropriate Selections of the Collateral Sciences by Hiram V. Sweringen
American Gentian, as it is also called, is a mild tonic, and calculated to meet the same indications with the other simple bitters. AMERICAN DITTANY. (Cunila Mariana.} A small herb analogous to the mints, pennyroyal, &c., and is used for the ...
by Carole J. Skelly
AMERICAN GENTIAN: See GENTIAN. AMERICAN GERMANDER: See GERMANDER. AMERICAN HELLEBORE: See FALSE HELLEBORE.
Pharmaceutical lexicon (1873)
American Gentian, as it is also lcalled, is a mild tonic, and calculated to meet the same indications with the other simple hitters. Amcarcan DITTANY. (Czmila Marimm.) A small herb analogous to the mints, pcnnyroyal, &c., and is used for the ...
with a new atlas of the world : a work of general reference in all departments of knowledge
American gentian, in phar, Gentiana Saponaria, the £ used as a substitute for the officinal gentian, probably including other species. Also (improperly) the American columbo, Frasera Caro£:: orid species, u medicinally.— the closed gentian, G.
by David W. Group
American ephedra see ephedra and ma-huang American gentian see gentian American ginseng see ginseng American horsemint see horsebalm American mandrake see mandrake American mint see peppermint American pepper see ...
by William Dwight Whitney
gentian, n — American gentian, in phar., Grntiana Saponarta. the soapwort- gentian, used as a substitute for the officinal gentian, probably including otiier species.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American gentian
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American gentian to find many related words and phrases!