American gray birch
On this page:
Definition of the noun american gray birch
What does american gray birch mean as a name of something?
- medium-sized birch of eastern North America having white or pale grey bark and valueless wood; occurs often as a second-growth forest tree
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific name: Betula populifolia
- synonyms of American gray birch: American grey birch / gray birch / grey birch
- more generic terms: birch / birch tree = any betulaceous tree or shrub of the genus Betula having a thin peeling bark
- member of: Betula / genus Betula = a genus of trees of the family Betulaceae
- geographic area: North America
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for American gray birch
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Essential Guide to Trees and Shrubs of the World by MobileReference
Although it is diploid like the closely related to the Eurasian Silver Birch and the eastern American Gray Birch, it frequently hybridizes with the hexaploid Paper Birch; the hybrid is known as Betula x winteri. Hybrids also occur with American ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American gray birch
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American gray birch to find many related words and phrases!