American Hot Wax
On this page:
"American Hot Wax" is a 1978 biopic film directed by Floyd Mutrux and written by John Kaye telling the story of Cleveland disc jockey Alan Freed, who was instrumental in introducing and popularizing rock 'n' roll in the 1950s. Freed is often credited with coining the term "Rock 'n' Roll." The film starred Tim McIntire as Freed, as well as Fran Drescher, Laraine Newman, Melanie Chartoff, and Jay Leno in supporting roles, Moosie Drier in a warmly reviewed performance as the head of a Buddy Holly fan club, and a walk-on part by a teen-aged Cameron Crowe. It also featured performances by Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Frankie Ford, Screamin' Jay Hawkins and the Brooklyn Dreams performed as "Professor La Plano and The Planotones".
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Art Linson
- art direction by Elayne Barbara Ceder
- written by John Kaye
- based on a story by John Kaye & Art Linson
- Tim McIntire as Alan Freed
- Fran Drescher as Sheryl
- Jay Leno as Mookie
- Laraine Newman as Teenage Louise
- Carl Weaver as Member of The Chesterfields
- Al Chalk as Member of The Chesterfields
- Sam Harkness as Member of The Chesterfields
- Arnold McCuller as Member of The Chesterfields
- Jeff Altman as Lennie Richfield
- Moosie Drier as Artie Moress
- John Lehne as D.A. Coleman
- Stewart Steinberg as Stone
- Jack Edward Ellis as Phillips
- Richard Forbes as Donahue
- Stephen Pearlman as Peter Overmyer
- Chuck Berry
- Screamin' Jay Hawkins
- Jerry Lee Lewis
- casting by Terry Liebling
- cinematography by William A. Fraker
- edited by Ronald J. Fagan & Melvin Shapiro
- music by Kenny Vance
- costume design by Robert De Mora
- set decoration by George Gaines
- genres: Biographical film, Musical, History, Musical Drama, Drama
- released on (37 years ago)
American Hot Wax is a musical group.
- album: "Wish You Were Here..."
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American Hot Wax
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Christopher H. Sterling, Cary O'Dell
Freed's disc jockey careerwas itself the subjectof a later film titled American Hot Wax (1978). Radio Drama on Film Foremost among ...
by Stanley Newman, Daniel Stark
cast: Fairuza Balk, Beverly D'Angelo, Edward Furlong, Edward Norton director: Tony Kaye American Hot Wax (1978 film) cast: Fran Drescher, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American Hot Wax
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of American Hot Wax to learn how to say it correctly!