On this page:
Definition of the noun american lime
What does american lime mean as a name of something?
- large American shade tree with large dark green leaves and rounded crown
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Tilia americana laxiflora / form Tilia americana laxiflora / Tilia americana neglecta / variety Tilia americana neglecta / Tilia canadensis / species Tilia canadensis / Tilia glabra / species Tilia glabra / Tilia glabra fastigiata / form Tilia glabra fastigiata / Tilia glabra neglecta / variety Tilia glabra neglecta / Tilia grata / species Tilia grata / Tilia latifolia / species Tilia latifolia / Tilia laxiflora / species Tilia laxiflora / Tilia leptophylla / species Tilia leptophylla / Tilia ludovicia / species Tilia ludovicia / Tilia mexicana / species Tilia mexicana / Tilia mississippiensis / species Tilia mississippiensis / Tilia multiflora / species Tilia multiflora / Tilia neglecta / species Tilia neglecta / Tilia nigra / species Tilia nigra / Tilia nigra densiflora / variety Tilia nigra densiflora / Tilia nigra heterophylla / variety Tilia nigra heterophylla / Tilia nigra laxiflora / variety Tilia nigra laxiflora / Tilia nigra macrophylla / variety Tilia nigra macrophylla / Tilia nigra vestita / variety Tilia nigra vestita / Tilia palmeri / species Tilia palmeri / Tilia pubescens truncata / form Tilia pubescens truncata / Tilia stenopetala / species Tilia stenopetala / Tilia truncata / species Tilia truncata / Tilia velutina / species Tilia velutina / Tilia venulosa / species Tilia venulosa / Tilia venulosa multinervis / variety Tilia venulosa multinervis / Tilia stellata / species Tilia stellata / Tilia americana
- synonym of American lime: American basswood
- more generic terms: basswood / lime / lime tree / linden / linden tree = any of various deciduous trees of the genus Tilia with heart-shaped leaves and drooping cymose clusters of yellowish often fragrant flowers
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American lime
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
Looseflmccred American Lime-tree americana var. pubescens. Downy- leaved American Lime-tree americana var. pubescens leptophylla. Downy Narrow leaved American Lime tree europœa. European Lime-tree, Lin, Line, Linde, ...
Embracing All the Recent Discoveries in Agricultural Chemistry, and the Use of Mineral, Vegetable and Animal Manures ... by Gouverneur Emerson
dmen'cana, American lime or linden.
by Nikolas Davies, Erkki Jokiniemi
American lime basswood American lime basswood see lime. American mahogany.
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms. Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
English: American lime, basswood, American basswood, whitewood T. caroliniana Mill. English: Carolina basswood T. chinensis Maxim. China: tuan T. cordata Miller English: small-leaved lime T. x ...
The American Lime ( T. americana, or T. glabra), commonly called Bass- wood in America, has larger leaves than the European species. It abounds on the shores of Lakes Erie and Ontario. Other species take its place in more western ar-d ...
The American Lime ( T. americana, or T. glabra), commonly called Bass- wood in America, has larger leaves than the European species. It abounds on the shores of Lakes Erie and Ontario. Other s|iecies take its place in more western axd ...
Encyclopaedia Americana (1831)
A Popular Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature, History, Politics and Biography, Brought Down to the Present Time; Including a Copious Collection of Original Articles in American Biography by Thomas Gamaliel Bradford
The American lime, or bass-wood, is a large and beautiful tree, ...
Being the Arboretum Et Fruticetum Britannicum Abridged : Containing the Hardy Trees and Shrubs of Britain, Native and Foreign, Scientifically and Popularly Described : with Their Propagation, Culture, and Uses in the Arts : and with Engravings of Nearly All Species
The American lime is readily distinguished from the European limes by the largeness of its leaves, which are 3m. to 4- in. wide, heart-shaped, acutely 106. Pills lrnzrlcinl. pointed, coarsely and mucronately serrated, deep green and glabrous on ...
The Popular Encyclopedia (1841)
Being a General Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature, Biography, History, and Political Economy, Reprinted from the American Edition of the 'Conversations Lexicon' ... with Dissertations on the Rise and Progress of Literature by Sir Daniel Keyte Sandford, Thomas Thomson, Allan Cunningham
The American lime, or bass-wood, is a large and beautiful tree, inhabiting Canada and the northern parts of the Union, and very abundant on the borders of lakes Erie and Ontario. The leaves are cordate, acuminate, serrate, and smooth.
by Jeffrey B. Harborne, Herbert Baxter
1 American Lime see Basswood, 728 American Mandrake, 8 American Oak see Black Oak, 490 American Walnut see Black.
by Steve Luck
The American lime, T americana. is also called basswood.
The Farmer's Encyclopedia (1844)
And Dictionary of Rural Affairs; Embracing All the Most Recent Discoveries in Agricultural Chemistry
Americana, American lime or linden. (See BASS-WOOD.) 6. T. pubescens, downy and ...
Tilia Americana, or broad-leaved American lime tree. — Flowers furnished with nectaries ; leaves deeply cordate, sharply serrate, smooth. This was brought from New England by the name of black lime; the branches being covered with a dark ...
Chambers's Encyclopaedia (1890)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge
The American Lime (T. americana, or T. g/abra), commonly called Bass- wood in America, has larger leaves than the European species. It abounds on the shores of Lakes Erie and Ontario. Other species take its place in more westem ar.d ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American lime
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American lime to find many related words and phrases!