American oil palm
On this page:
Definition of the noun american oil palm
What does american oil palm mean as a name of something?
- palm of Central and South America
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Alfonsia oleifera / species Alfonsia oleifera / Corozo oleifera / species Corozo oleifera / Elaeis melanococca / species Elaeis melanococca / Elaeis melanococca semicircularis / variety Elaeis melanococca semicircularis / Elaeis oleifera
- more generic term: oil palm = pinnate-leaved palms of the genus Elaeis having dense clusters of crowded flowers and bright red fruit and yielding high quality palm oils
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American oil palm
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Genomics of Cultivated Palms (2011)
by V Arunachalam
oleifera (American oil palm). African oil palm is commercially cultivated and a high-yielding species. American oil palm is a low-yielding species, but ...
Dictionary of Energy (2014)
by Cutler J. Cleveland, Christopher G. Morris
oleifera, the American oil palm. Oil palms ...
by Thomas H. Everett
The American oil palm (C. oleifera syn. Corozo oleifera) is similar in appearance to the African species but is much smaller and differs in botanical details. As a producer of commercial oil it is of little importance. Even in the American tropics the ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
Cortes English: American oil palm Brazil: caiaue, dende-do-para, caiue, corozo ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American oil palm
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American oil palm
Click on an item to view that photo:
- American Oil Palm
Taken at the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx.
Creative Commons photo by ideonexus. Please feel free to reuse for any purpose!
Photo credit: Ryan Somma
- Attalea butyracea-- the American Oil Palm.
Native from Mexico to Bolivia and planted beyond, under names such as Palma Real. Used for thatching, food, oil and fodder. Photo from Darien Province, Panama.
Photo credit: Dick Culbert
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American oil palm to find many related words and phrases!