On this page:
Definition of the noun american oriole
What does american oriole mean as a name of something?
- American songbird; male is black and orange or yellow
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonyms of American oriole: New World oriole / oriole
- more generic terms: oscine / oscine bird = passerine bird having specialized vocal apparatus
- more specific terms:
- Icterus galbula / northern oriole = a kind of New World oriole
- Icterus spurius / orchard oriole = the male is chestnut-and-black
- meadowlark / lark = North American songbirds having a yellow breast
- cacique / cazique = black-and-red or black-and-yellow orioles of the American tropics
- Dolichonyx oryzivorus / bobolink / reedbird / ricebird = migratory American songbird
- New World blackbird / blackbird = any bird of the family Icteridae whose male is black or predominantly black
- member of: family Icteridae / Icteridae = American orioles; American blackbirds; bobolinks
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American oriole
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Birdwatcher's Dictionary (2010)
by Peter Weaver
American oriole See IcTERII> (BLACKBIRD). American sparrow See NEW WORLD SPARROW. American warble: See NEW WORLD WARBLER. Anatomy The study of the bodily structure of animals. The study of the functioning of the body is ...
by POCKET BOOKS STAFF, Pocket Books
an American oriole with black and orange plumage, hat-aster (bal'us-ter), n. any one of the small. upright columns, or posts, that support a railing, as of a staircase, bat-w trade (bal'u-strad), it a series of small ...
Eleventh Edition by Merriam-Webster
an American oriole (Icterus galbula) that includes the Baltimore oriole and the Bullock's oriole when they are ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American oriole
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American oriole to find many related words and phrases!