On this page:
Definition of the noun american plaice
What does american plaice mean as a name of something?
- large American food fish
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Drepanopsetta platessoides / species Drepanopsetta platessoides / Hippoglossoides limanda / species Hippoglossoides limanda / Hippoglossoides limandoides / species Hippoglossoides limandoides / Hippoglossoides platessoides limandoides / subspecies Hippoglossoides platessoides limandoides / Hypoglossoides platessoides / species Hypoglossoides platessoides / Pleuronectes limandoides / species Pleuronectes limandoides / Pleuronectes platessoides / species Pleuronectes platessoides / Hippoglossoides platessoides
- more generic terms: righteye flounder / righteyed flounder = flounders with both eyes on the right side of the head
- geographic area: Eastern Atlantic Ocean, Western Atlantic Ocean
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American plaice
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Food (2009)
International Food and Cooking Terms from A to Z by Charles Sinclair
Also called eastern oyster American persimmon A variety of persimmon, Diospyros virginiana, about 4 cm indiameter and with redder skin and flesh American pinkshrimp See American shrimp American plaice A large flatfish, Hippoglossoides ...
by OECD: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
See also + AMERICAN PLAICE (Atlantic – N. America) Belongs to the same family Pleuronectidae. 763 – POLLAN/CORE ́GONE ...
by M. F. Fuller
The American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides, called the long rough dab in England), a coldwater species of commercial importance in Canada, is distributed on both sides of the North Atlantic. The European plaice ( Pleuronectes ...
Dictionary of Flavors (2008)
by Dolf De Rovira
— Including American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoidies), common plaice (Pleuronectes platessa), winter flounder ( Psuedopleuronectes americanus), witch flounder (Glyptoccephalus cynoglussus) , ...
by C. Reid Nichols, Robert G. Williams
Common Name Scientific Name Diet Consists of Alaskan pollock Theragra chalcogramma fishes and crustaceans such as krill American plaice Hippoglossoides platessoides invertebrates and small fishes Atlantic cod Gadus morhua ...
by Charles Gordon Sinclair
and with redder skin and flesh American pink shrimp see American shrenp American plaice A large flat fish ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1914)
by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
American plaice or flat-fish, Lyopsetta putnami : so called in New England from the time of its appearance in the harbors. — Christmas flower. Same aaChristmas rose.— Christmas log, a large log of wood, which in old times formed the ...
by International Food Information Service
and Hippoglossoides platessoides (American plaice). Marketed live (on ice), fresh ( gutted or fillets), frozen or smoked. Plankton General name given to animal ( zooplankton) ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
The American plaice (Hippoglossoides ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American plaice
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American plaice to find many related words and phrases!