On this page:
Definition of the noun american plaice
What does american plaice mean as a name of something?
- large American food fish
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Drepanopsetta platessoides / species Drepanopsetta platessoides / Hippoglossoides limanda / species Hippoglossoides limanda / Hippoglossoides limandoides / species Hippoglossoides limandoides / Hippoglossoides platessoides limandoides / subspecies Hippoglossoides platessoides limandoides / Hypoglossoides platessoides / species Hypoglossoides platessoides / Pleuronectes limandoides / species Pleuronectes limandoides / Pleuronectes platessoides / species Pleuronectes platessoides / Hippoglossoides platessoides
- more generic terms: righteye flounder / righteyed flounder = flounders with both eyes on the right side of the head
- geographic area: Eastern Atlantic Ocean, Western Atlantic Ocean
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American plaice
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Food (2009)
International Food and Cooking Terms from A to Z by Charles Sinclair
Also called eastern oyster American persimmon A variety of persimmon, Diospyros virginiana, about 4 cm indiameter and with redder skin and flesh American pinkshrimp See American shrimp American plaice A large flatfish, Hippoglossoides ...
by OECD: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
Name also used for + AMERICAN PLAICE (Hippoglossoides platessoides). LIMANDE A QUEUE JAUNE ...
by Charles Gordon Sinclair
and with redder skin and flesh American pink shrimp see American shrenp American plaice A large flat fish ...
Dictionary of Flavors (2017)
by Dolf De Rovira, Sr.
– Including American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoidies), common plaice (Pleuronectes platessa), winter flounder ( Pseudopleuronectes americanus), witch flounder (Glyptoccephalus cynoglussus) , common ...
by International Food Information Service
and Hippoglossoides platessoides (American plaice). Marketed live (on ice), fresh ( gutted or fillets), frozen or smoked. Plankton General name given to animal ( zooplankton) ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1914)
by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
American plaice or flat-fish, Lyopsetta putnami : so called in New England from the time of its appearance in the harbors. — Christmas flower. Same aaChristmas rose.— Christmas log, a large log of wood, which in old times formed the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American plaice
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American plaice to find many related words and phrases!