On this page:
"American Pop" is a 1981 American animated musical drama film starring Ron Thompson and produced and directed by Ralph Bakshi. It was the fourth animated feature film to be presented in Dolby sound. The film tells the story of four generations of a Russian Jewish immigrant family of musicians whose careers parallel the history of American popular music.
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, Hebrew Language, Russian Language, Yiddish Language
- producers: Martin Ransohoff & Ralph Bakshi
- written by Ronni Kern
- Richard Moll as Beat Poet
- Roz Kelly as Eva Tanguay
- Leonard Stone as Leo Stern
- Lisa Jane Persky as Bella
- Ron Thompson as Tony
- Mews Small as Frankie
- Ron Thompson as Pete
- Jerry Holland as Louie
- Jeffrey Lippa as Zalmie
- Frank de Kova as Crisco
- Richard Singer as Benny
- Elsa Raven as Hannele
- Ben Frommer as Palumbo
- Amy Levitt as Nancy
- Eric Taslitz as Pete
- Gene Borkan as Izzy
- Beatrice Colen as Prostitute #1
- Vincent Schiavelli as Theatre Owner
- Hilary Beane as Showgirl #1
- Lynda Wiesmeier as The Blonde #1
- Phillip Simms as Dwayne
- Marcello Krakoff as Zalmie
- Ken Johnson as Halley
- Barney Pell as Zalmie
- Robert Strom as Club Manager
- Gene Woodbury as August
- Mark Levine as Space
- Ty Grimes as Johnny
- Peter Glindeman as Reed
- Auburn Burrell as Jeffrey
- Aleshia Brevard as Showgirl #2
- Elya Baskin as Tuba Player
- M.B. West as Prostitute #2
- Joey Camen as Freddie
- Umberto Autore Jr. as Benny
- Tony Autore as Benny
- Johnny Brogna as Tony's Brother
- Dawn Agrella as Tony's Sister #1
- Cari Anne Warder as Tony's Sister #2
- Don Carlson as Stagehand
- Vance Colvig as Hobo #1
- Robert Beecher as Hobo #2
- Tony Fasce as Crapshooter #1
- Frank Ciaravino as Crapshooter #2
- Gene Krischer as Hippie
- D.A. Young as Curtis
- Lee Ving as Punk Rocker #1
- Spit Stix as Punk Rocker #2
- Derf Scratch as Punk Rocker #3
- Philo Cramer as Punk Rocker #4
- edited by David Ramirez & David Ramirez
- music by Lee Holdridge
- genres: Musical, Indie film, Animation, Jukebox musical, Musical Drama, Animated Musical, Drama
- The State Of The Art In Living Animation.
- All those years, all those dreams, all those men... one of them is going to be a star.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (33 years ago)
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for American Pop
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Astrology of Film (2004)
The Interface of Movies, Myth, and Archetype by Bill Streett, Jeffrey Kishner
American Pop is a sweeping animated epic that, as the title implies, covers evolving musical styles in the United States. Through following four generations of fathers and sons of an emigrated Russo-Jewish family, Bakshi weaves together a ...
Risky Business (2011)
Rock in Film by R. Serge Denisoff, William D. Romanowski
Michael Sragow added insult to injury in the pages of Rolling Stone, saying, “ Bakshi's most convincing proof of the degradation of pop culture will come if American Pop is a hit.”69 It wasn't. Nineteen eightyone was a drought year for ...
Popular Culture Decade by Decade by Bob Batchelor
American Pop is a four-volume set that examines the trends and events across decades and eras by shedding light on the experiences of Americans young and old, rich and poor, along with the influences of arts, entertainment, sports, and ...
Music in American Life: An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories that Shaped our Culture [4 volumes] (2013)
An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories That Shaped Our Culture by Jacqueline Edmondson Ph.D.
2000s American pop music, media, and culture in the twentyfirst century are virtually inseparable and are America's biggest import to the world. Female divas have dominated the pop scene in the early twenty-first century. Britney Spears ...
by Robert Gregg, Gary W. McDonogh, Cindy H. Wong
recording, a blend of American pop music with the music of black South African musicians, is held up as an exemplar of contemporary fusion (although not without controversy). In the late ...
by Seiwoong Oh
Filled with references to American pop ...
An Encyclopedia by Huping Ling, Allan W. Austin
Hagedorn devotes particular attention to the ways in which consumerism and American pop culture have affected Filipino culture and society. Dogeaters won the American Book Award and was nominated for the prestigious National Book ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American Pop
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American Pop
Click on an item to view that photo:
Quotes about American Pop
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of American Pop to see it in context!