American sweet chestnut
On this page:
Definition of the noun american sweet chestnut
What does american sweet chestnut mean as a name of something?
- large tree found from Maine to Alabama
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Castanea americana / species Castanea americana / Castanea castanea americana / variety Castanea castanea americana / Castanea sativa americana / variety Castanea sativa americana / Castanea sativa pendulifolia / variety Castanea sativa pendulifolia / Castanea vesca americana / variety Castanea vesca americana / Castanea vesca denuda / variety Castanea vesca denuda / Castanea vulgaris americana / variety Castanea vulgaris americana / Fagus castanea dentata / variety Fagus castanea dentata / Fagus dentata / species Fagus dentata / Fagus-castanea dentata / species Fagus-castanea dentata / Castanea dentata
- synonym of American sweet chestnut: American chestnut
- more generic terms: chestnut / chestnut tree = any of several attractive deciduous trees yellow-brown in autumn
- member of: Castanea / genus Castanea = chestnuts
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for American sweet chestnut
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The American sweet chestnut is a delightful nut. Although not a native to Acer Platinoides-rar Schwedlcrii. PURPLE NORWAY MAPLE. all sections of the state, it will, if planted, grow and bear moderately large crops of nuts. It is a beautiful ' and ...
by Douglas M. Considine
The American sweet chestnut (C. dentata) has little if any immunity to the chestnut blight (bark) fungus (Diaporthe parasitica) and, consequently, the loss of these trees in North America in extremely large numbers in the very early part of this ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
sativa American sweet chestnut Chinese chestnut Japanese chestnut Spanish or sweet chestnut The American chestnut grows along the Allegheny Mountains and from New Hampshire ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American sweet chestnut
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American sweet chestnut to find many related words and phrases!