American turkey oak
On this page:
Definition of the noun american turkey oak
What does american turkey oak mean as a name of something?
- small slow-growing deciduous shrubby tree of dry sandy barrens of southeastern United States having leaves with bristle-tipped lobes resembling turkey's toes
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Quercus catesbaei / species Quercus catesbaei / Quercus catesbaei rappii / form Quercus catesbaei rappii / Quercus catesbaei nigra / variety Quercus catesbaei nigra / Quercus laevis lineariloba / form Quercus laevis lineariloba / Quercus laevis rappii / form Quercus laevis rappii / Quercus laevis
- synonym of American turkey oak: turkey oak
- more generic terms: oak / oak tree = a deciduous tree of the genus Quercus
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American turkey oak
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
American Turkey Oak, Barren Scrub Oak, Forked- leaved Black Jack Oak Cerne. Bitter, Iron, Mossy-cupped, Turkey, or Wainscot Oak Cerris var. Fulhamensis. Fulham Oak Cerris var. Lucombeana (Q. exoniensis).
Being the Arboretum Et Fruticetum Britannicum Abridged : Containing the Hardy Trees and Shrubs of Britain, Native and Foreign, Scientifically and Popularly Described ; with Their Propagation, Culture, and Uses in the Arts ; and with Engravings of Nearly All the Species ; Abridged from the Large Edition in Eight Volumes, and Adapted for the Use of Nurserymen, Gardeners, and Foresters by John Claudius Loudon
Iran Oak, Hoi white Oak, American Turkey Oak, Upland white Oak, Amer. 12. lyrata Walt. - 865 The Swamp Post Oak, Water white Oak, Amer. § iv. Prinus. Chestnut Oats. 13. Prinus L. - 866 The Chestnut-leaved Oak.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1911)
The American Turkey oak is Q. Catesbtei of the southeastern United States. Its wood is useful chiefly for fuel. ','. digitata, the Spanish oak, is also sometimes locally called Turkey oak.— Valparaiso oak. see lite-oak.— Weeping oak. See white ...
a work of universal reference in all departments of knowledge with a new atlas of the world by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
The American Turkey oak is Q. Catesbcei of the southeastern United States. Its wood 1b useful chiefly for fuel. Q. falcata, the Spanish oak, is also sometimes locally called Turkey oak. — Valparaiso oak. See live-oak.— weeping oak. See white ...
The Century Dictionary (1914)
An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language
The American Turkey oak is Q. Catesbaei of the southeastern United States. Its wood is useful chiefly for fuel. Q. digitata, the Spanish oak, is also sometimes locally called Turkey oak.-Valparaíso oak. See live-oak.—Weeping oak. See white ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American turkey oak
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American turkey oak to find many related words and phrases!