On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun american aspen
What does american aspen mean as a name of something?
- slender aspen native to North America
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Populus atheniensis / species Populus atheniensis / Populus aurea / species Populus aurea / Populus benzoifera / species Populus benzoifera / Populus cercidiphylla / species Populus cercidiphylla / Populus cordata / species Populus cordata / Populus glandulosa / species Populus glandulosa / Populus graeca / species Populus graeca / Populus hispida / species Populus hispida / Populus pendula / species Populus pendula / Populus polygonifolia / species Populus polygonifolia / Populus sibirica / species Populus sibirica / Populus tremula tremuloides / subspecies Populus tremula tremuloides / Populus tremuliformis / species Populus tremuliformis / Populus tremuloides / species Populus tremuloides / Populus tremuloides pendula / form Populus tremuloides pendula / Populus tremuloides tremuloides / form Populus tremuloides tremuloides / Populus tremuloides aurea / variety Populus tremuloides aurea / Populus tremuloides cercidiphylla / variety Populus tremuloides cercidiphylla / Populus tremuloides intermedia / variety Populus tremuloides intermedia / Populus tremuloides magnifica / variety Populus tremuloides magnifica / Populus tremuloides rhomboidea / variety Populus tremuloides rhomboidea / variety Populus tremuloides tremuloides / Populus tremuloides vancouveriana / variety Populus tremuloides vancouveriana / Populus trepida / species Populus trepida / Populus vancouveriana / species Populus vancouveriana / Tremula trepida / species Tremula trepida
- synonym of American aspen: American quaking aspen
- more generic word: aspen = any of several trees of the genus Populus having leaves on flattened stalks so that they flutter in the lightest wind
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American aspen
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
Hemlock, Shagbark Hickory, Witch-hazel, White Ash, American Aspen, Wild Black Cherry, American Chestnut, Black Spruce, Silver Maple, White Pine, Magnolia, American Hornbeam. PLATE IX. PLATE X. PLATE XI. PLATE XII. PLATE XIII.
by Sir Joseph Paxton, John Lindley
For this reason, probably, it has been confounded by the inhabitants with the American aspen, which is more multiplied : as it surpasses the aspen in height, we have given it the name of Large Aspen. It grows as favorably on uplands as on the ...
by William Dwight Whitney
The American aspen or quaking asp, Populus tremuloidcs. quoin, n. 3. The solid angle of a crystal in which three or more faces meet. Also written coign. quoit, n. 4 . In arch&ol., same as dolmen. [Local.] quoiter (kwoi'ter), n. One who plays ...
Companion to the British and American Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeias Arranged in the Form of a Dictionary (1890)
by Lawrence T. Ashwell
American Aspen. Habitat, North America. Preparation. — Tincture of the inner bark. Am.H.P — Tincture of the fresh inner bark, Class III. Potency.
by John Henry Clarke
(The American Aspen ; the British Aspen is P. tremula.) N. 0. Salicaceae. Tincture of. inner bark. Solution of Populin. Clinical. — Ardor urinre. Bladder, catarrh of. Gleet, chronic. Prostatic affections. Characteristics.
by Rod Preston-Mafham, Ken Preston-Mafham
The American aspen beetle, Gonioctena americana ...
Encyclopaedia Americana : a popular dictionary of arts, sciences, literature, history, politics, and biography, brought down to the present time (1836)
The American aspen ' poptdus trtpida) is a small tree, common H the Northern and Middle States. The leaves are broad, and somewhat heart- shaped. It is one of the species most remarkable for the perpetual agitation of the leaves.
Dictionary of Plant Lore (2007)
by D.C. Watts
There it is the American Aspen (Populus tremuloides) that is at fault.The legend in Brittany was that not only did it refuse to bow, but declared that it was free of sin , and had no cause to tremble and weep, whereupon it immediately began to ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1891)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature
The American Aspen is a smaller tree than P. tremula, seldom rising to a greater height than 30 feet, and rarely forming...
grandidmtala, the Large-leaved American Aspen, is a tree of larger growth, with ovate or roundish leaves deeply and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American aspen
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American aspen
If you need images about American aspen for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American aspen to find many related words and phrases!