On this page:
Definition of the noun american chameleon
What does american chameleon mean as a name of something?
- small arboreal tropical American insectivorous lizards with the ability to change skin color
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Anolis baccatus / species Anolis baccatus / Anolis bullaris / species Anolis bullaris / Anolis carolinensis / species Anolis carolinensis / Anolis podargicus / species Anolis podargicus / Anolis principalis / species Anolis principalis / Anolis strumosa / species Anolis strumosa / Dactyloa carolinensis / species Dactyloa carolinensis / Lacerta principalis / species Lacerta principalis / Norops baccatus / species Norops baccatus
- synonym of American chameleon: anole
- more generic terms: iguanid / iguanid lizard = lizards of the New World and Madagascar and some Pacific islands
- member of: Anolis / genus Anolis = New World chameleons
- geographic area: Middle America, North America, Oceania
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American chameleon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
To Inspire Ambition, to Stimulate the Imagination, to Provide the Inquiring Mind with Accurate Information Told in an Interesting Style, and Thus Lead Into Broader Fields of Knowledge, Such is the Purpose of this Work by Guy Stanton Ford
The so-called American chameleon belongs to a quite distinct branch of the lizard family, the Iguanidae. It is smaller and more active than its Old World namesake, but has the same remarkable property of changing color. Scientific name of ...
The Encyclopedia Americana (1903)
by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines
The American chameleon belongs to a genus and family Iguanida (q.v.) of numerous species which swarm in tropical America and the West Indies. It is probable that it has been popularly classed with its African namesake because of the ...
history, language, literature, biography, geography, travel, art, government, politics, industry, invention, commerce, science, education, natural history, statistics, miscellany; a practical handbook of ready reference based upon everyday needs by Henry Woldmar Ruoff
The American chameleon, Anolis principalis, is a small iguanid lizard of southern United States and tropical America. Chamois. A genus of hoofed mammals intermediate between the goats and the antelopes, and containing but one species, ...
THE STANDARD DICTIONARY OF FACTS: A PRACTICAL HANDBOOK OF READY REFERENCE BASED UPON EVERYDAY NEEDS (1922)
The American chameleon, Anolis principalis, is a small igruanid lizard of southern United States and tropical America. Chamois. A genus of hoofed mammals intermediate between the goats and the antelopes, and containing but one species, ...
Eleventh Edition by Merriam-Webster
American chameleon // (1881) : an anole (Anolis carolinensis) of the southeastern 1. S. that can vary its skin color from green to brown and is often kept as a pet American cheese n (1763) : a process cheese made from ...
2-volume set by Robert Wuthnow
American Chameleon: Individualism in TransNational Context. Kent, Ohio: Kent State University Press, 1991. Dumont, Louis. Essays on Individualism: Modern Ideology in Anthropological Perspective. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American chameleon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American chameleon
If you need images about American chameleon for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American chameleon to find many related words and phrases!